Shopping for a 488 GTB, question on dealer | FerrariChat

Shopping for a 488 GTB, question on dealer

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Craigster0725, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Craigster0725

Craigster0725 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Craig Lan
    Hi all - new to the forum, been a Porsche guy but trying to get into the Ferrari community after trying my buddy’s 488 lol (what a “bad” influence). Did some research on the old posts but still didn’t see what I am looking for so decided to ask:

Shopping for a 488 (will be my first horse) and local dealer told me you can only get credit in your Ferrari garage and start building your score for future event invitation and allocation on limited production car ONLY if you buy from Ferrari dealer, is that true?

My buddy didn’t care about this aspect much, but to me I am not only buying the car but hoping to participate the events Ferrari hosts in the future and get the full experience which I think it’s what a luxury brand sets itself apart from others, so interest to see other owners’ perspective on whether it’s worth it to get that credit buying from a Ferrari dealer. Greatly appreciate the input in advance.

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Two things that I would recommend. First, join the Ferrari Club of America (FCA) and you will have access to many fun social and driving events with fellow owners. Second, build a relationship with a dealer at least for service. Get on the customer mailing lists and you will receive info on their events and activities. Between dealer events and FCA events there are one or two weekends a month, during Spring, Summer and Fall where you can join in.

Clay512TR, LVP488 and Craigster0725 like this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Whilst there might be some events for the very best serial buyers most its just a question of $$$$$ - dealer is over-egging situation (to put it mildly)

boobernackle and Craigster0725 like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you want to participate in events, buy anywhere. If you want to get potential allocations in the future for harder to get cars, buy from a dealer.

Where r u located?

Craigster0725 likes this.
  5. Craigster0725

Craigster0725 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Craig Lan
    I am in North Jersey/ New York metro area.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t know the geography there but assuming lots of dealers in the area. Buy from a dealer. Maybe you pay a few grand more but in the big scheme of things probably worth it.

Viperjoe and Craigster0725 like this.
  7. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Yes, this is true. If you buy a car private party, Ferrari and the dealer could care less though you may get some props using the service dept. As for purchase through the dealer, used or new both count. First of all, as soon as you purchase your first Ferrari from a dealer, new or used, you will get a customer number. Cars you buy, events you go to etc.. are attributed to that number though in most cases, they are dealer initiated so that is why it is a good idea to establish a good relationship with a local dealer. I can confirm that a used car will show up in your garage in the My Ferrari website (you or your dealer have to put it in). Each car has some value to Ferrari and to the dealership. I believe Ferrari cares most about new cars purchased where the dealer cares about both. I love having the relationship with my dealer as any time I walk through the door, I still get giddy and excited yet feel like I am "home" and not intruding. The people, the experience, the friendships. It's all part of the experience. Plus, it's easier to trade back to the dealership and you get extra credit for that as well.

tfazio, of2worlds, ScottS and 2 others like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    The game has changed, buy the car you want and dont worry about the dealer/factory. Old school.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not to also mention all the free coffee , biscuits and drinks , LA FAMILIA :)

johnr265 and Craigster0725 like this.
  10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    There are two "lists" so to speak. The Ferrari corporate list, and the dealer list. Certain cars need to be approved by corporate. Those would be the genuinely limited edition cars such as a LaF or TDF. In that case, they will look at your patronage of the brand as a whole, although I'm sure that having a dealer vouching for you helps.

The other list is entirely up to each dealer. These are for the mass production cars all the way from a standard 488 to the special editions such as a Pista. The dealer is free to allocate their cars as they wish. Of course, they will normally allocate them to their most valuable customers.

Since you're a porsche guy, the best analogy is to compare a 918 VIP versus a GT3 RS at MSRP buyer. The former is a corporate decision, the latter is a dealership decision.

LVP488, Craigster0725 and johnr265 like this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    agree - unless you are willing to take 1M worth of inventory in a couple months you arent gonna make a dent on the list. u wanna make a dent go spec a new portofino and lusso to the 9s and that will get you some love. otherwise buy the cleanest version of whatever you like!

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Don't generalise because different countries behave differently actually even states.

Did you ask for a PISTA ? Were you denied given all the Ferraris you have ? Or you had to buy a Lusso or Portofino . For us, well have 488 get a Pista . Easy. Gee if I had a few million to spare on Toys I could even get a one off Ferrari built for me.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont consider a pista special. Cars under 1000 made are special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orinda and Jaguar36 like this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I said no to the pista when i found out how many were being made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Sure no problem. I guess that means something to you. But at the same time many of the cars you have or owned are not limited cars also ? I believe your heart is for the 458 and that's fine , why not. But there are many including myself that love the 488 and prefer it over the 458. And in time ill reanalyse whether i like the F8 more than the 488. Im in no hurry. Im not one that has the have the first. I buy what I like.

As I have said , you have a wonderful array of cars

16. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Unless you plan on buying quite a lot, I don't think it matters. I only have 2 Ferraris. Both were purchased from F dealers, but different ones in the same state.

For Events: They both send me invites to things although one dealership has more events that I'd be interested in (actually driving vs being shown a car I don't want). However, the events aren't much compared to the stuff available through FCA and what other enthusiasts put together (track days, rallies, gatherings, etc...).

For special cars: I don't buy enough for either dealer to offer me a Pista or even an order on some new production car. 2 Ferraris is nothing compared to what other long time clients are buying+selling in my area. In contrast, I owned 1 911S and 1 GT3RS and Porsche (corp) offered me a slot to order a 918 Spyder. The recession might have helped in that case, but that's still infinitely more than I've been offered from Ferrari.

I agree with the advice from others, take a look at what FCA is doing in your area. Also consider your regional market. Where I live, there are lots of car enthusiasts and lots of events. There are also so many big spenders that I'll never be one of the clients my dealer cares about.

Craigster0725 likes this.
  17. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    It's not just how much you spend. When you are a brand ambassador, attend events, drive and use your car, bring traffic to the dealership, treat people nicely at the dealership, are not overly pushy, follow F1, participate in motorsports events etc... This builds your status, especially with the dealership. Your age actually has a lot to do with it. If you are older, better have lots of cash and purchases. If you are younger though, they see the potential of a longer term and that your ability to afford will change over time. I am by no means a high roller nor have I bought a million cars from my dealer but I have tried to be all of those things mentioned above and was "rewarded" with a Pista allocation. Not saying the model hasn't changed with the IPO but some of the basics are still in place.

Thecadster, ca_scud and MANDALAY like this.
  18. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    it may be just me but all of this is silly, why would you want to build your status with a car manufacturer? who cares? I don't

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Can you understand it this way. Ferrari Italian. Italians all about family. Hence the comment LA FAMILIA. I do and they treat me great, to the point I bought the salesman a great bottle of cognac.

johnr265 and ca_scud like this.
  20. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I can understand that. People are important to me, not cars.

MANDALAY, johnr265 and ca_scud like this.
  21. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    That is great to hear that being a true enthusiast has benefits. I think it’s the way it should be everywhere.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    That's funny, I usually do wine but I am terrible at picking Italian wine so last year, I went French;):D!

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Understood but you are on a car forum so people here do care about cars.

Relationships with people will always be more important.

ca_scud likes this.
  24. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, I agree :)

ca_scud and SoCal to az like this.
  25. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I totally get it. It is kind of silly. And yet, I really do like the guys at my dealer. Not just as tools to get the next greatest car. They treat me well, I treat them well. I couldn't afford a LaFerrari if they begged me to buy one but they know that and like me anyway. Somehow it works.

I was looking at a car, a used consignment 328. Worthless to them. And yet, upon my asking, they pulled it into the bay, put it up on a lift, and their master mechanic (his name is Mario, I am not kidding!) spent almost 30 minutes going over the car with me. He asked for nothing. They didn't charge me for a pre-purchase inspection. Nothing. He actually refused a cash tip from me as well. Things eventually fell through with the car but I came back and gave him nice bottle of wine. I knew he wouldn't refuse that. La Familia!

ca_scud and MANDALAY like this.