Urgent advice needed! California roof stuck :( | FerrariChat

Urgent advice needed! California roof stuck :(

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Lissa, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lissa

Lissa Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Guys please help us with advice!
    We were opening the roof on our dear California and there were shoes in the trunk which got stuck inside the mechanisms. We removed the shoes somehow, roof is inside the trunk but the trunk is not closing and the mechanism looks broken.

It’s Sunday today here in France and all services are closed and we have to drive 500 km in the evening so we really need to fix this problem somehow by ourselves.

The car does not react to roof open/close button, the signal is beeping when we switch on the engine and the error “system overheated” is displayed. The problem is on the left side of the trunk. I attached the photos.

Please advice us if we somehow can at least try to fix it by overselves or we are totally screwed up at we have to stay here until the garages open tomorrow! Thank you very much in advance!! I’m next to the car so I can provide any photo/video of any parts of the car. Please help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hopefully a Cali owner can help you soon. This is not the first time a roof has stuck and the braintrust probably has the answer. Good luck. I feel for you.

Lissa likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There is a procedure in the owners' manual to manually close the top ... it takes two people and is quite complicated ... it is on page 208 of the US manual you can find a PDF of the manual here:

https://www.ferrarili.com/template/pdf/manuals/ferrari/california.pdf

Alternatively, I would try disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect and see if that will reset things, then try the switch again. If something is broken in the mechanism, that is another issue, of course. It looks as if it's partially open on the left side, so perhaps following the manual open/close procedure you can get everything aligned properly and it will work again. Good luck!

4. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I have tried in the past to reset the car. With the key fob...this was copied and pasted from a search...let me know if it works

From 2011; Jcavalie

Keith and ferrarichat to the rescue! I love this community and thanks so much for posting this tip! My roof is now working fine.

Here's what I did: I tried holding the trunk open and door open buttons on the fob for 5s, and nothing happened. Then I started fiddling. I then held the door open button on the fob for 5s and that was the magic. After 5s, it appears the computer reset the locking mechanisms. The fob would then open the trunk. I confirmed nothing was in the way, closed the trunk, and tried to raise the top normally and it worked fine (with the windows going down first, as they should).

Thank you thank you thank you!

daytona355 likes this.
  5. GNU

GNU Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    System overheated just means that it’s cooling down. Leave it for 20min and try again.

I sometimes get that error when I stop the roof halfway to lubricate the seals.

If it’s still refusing to move then there’s the mechanical override that VJD3 described above.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  7. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I had a similar situation a year ago with my 2011. It was stuck and the trunk lid was cocked up like yours. I let it sit and could not contact the Tampa Bay Ferrari store until two days later. I drove it to their place and they cleared the problem at no charge. I think it may be safe to drive unless you can hear the hydraulics operating which would be a problem. Good luck. Please post how this comes out.

8. Lissa

Lissa Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Guys, thank you very much for your advices! We followed your advices but nothing worked, the roof was not moving. We wanted to manually close it following the manual but found out that we have no tools to unscrew the bolts so we had to wait here till Monday and we went to the service center and they fixed it in 5 minutes by manually releasing the roof. Didn’t charge us, we just gave some tips. Thank you very much for your kind support!!

daytona355, GNU, Dolceexte and 3 others like this.
  9. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    The guys at Tampa Bay took the stuff I had in the trunk and bagged it in a nice Ferrari bag so items wouldn’t be shifting while driving and causing another problem. I put the bag in a box under the shelf. Lesson learned.

10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Appreciate the thread. Good warning. I have stuff floating around in my trunk pretty often.

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There are four eyelets in the corners of the trunk, if you take two short bungee cords, they are perfect to stretch across in an X pattern to hold anything you might put in there secure.

tomc and energy88 like this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I love a happy ending! To clarify, did they close the roof using the manual tool that you did not have? Or, some other method involving clearing electronic codes.

Reminds me, I should check for those gizmoes!

T

13. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Sorry it didn’t work! Glad you have it fixed

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Lissa and welcome to Ferrarichat!

Glad everything worked out for you.

I’m sure I speak for other members when I say that we’d love to see more pictures of your gorgeous California!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

daytona355 and tomc like this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Glad it all worked out in the end. I’m out to the garage to make sure I tie down anything I have in the trunk, that’s a great shot across the bows for others, better to prevent than to fix a problem

16. so what was the issue, dont leave us hanging

17. LazzR1

LazzR1 Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Laurence Warriner
    I know this was a while ago, but I’m having an identical issue, but the trunk is closed. Ferrari Tampa is about an hour from me, so I think I’ll have to drive down there on Monday. They tried to help over the phone, but then said to bring it in. This sucks . Only had the car for 3 weeks.

18. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Me again, take it to F of TB they’ll fix it. Have not had any problems since. I’m only 20 minutes away when I’m at my place in FL.

19. LazzR1

LazzR1 Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Laurence Warriner
    Will do. Do you have a name of anybody who helped you?

20. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
  21. LazzR1

LazzR1 Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Laurence Warriner
  22. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Nothing but good things to say about these guys. Let them know you’re coming. While they fixed mine I did a Portofino test drive.

23. LazzR1

LazzR1 Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Laurence Warriner
    Oh no! That could be dangerous

alex and rob5819 like this.
  24. FISHYCALI 12

FISHYCALI 12 Rookie

Aug 17, 2023
    Full Name:
    Fitzroy Graham