348 - Initial Start Up Question | FerrariChat

348 Initial Start Up Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348steve, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I am just about to start up the car for the first time after an engine out.

Right now I am at the point where all fluids are in, aside from fuel. The fuel pump relays are out.

The spark plugs are out.

I think I remember reading in this forum that you can spin the engine with the starter a few times to help get everything lubed. During this procedure you should be able to see pressure indicated.

Is this true, can you get enough pressure from the oil pump to move the needle, just with the starter?

2. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I found out what was wrong and fixed it easily.

I was looking at the wrong gauge.

:)

Qavion and Pangea like this.
  3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So do you get an oil pressure rise by cranking only?

4. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    Yes you visibly note pressure rise on the gauge when cranking. It is clear and immediate.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Can you tell me what relays to pull on my 89 mondial t coupe to keep it from starting when cranking? I did a cursory look at the fuse box and didn’t see anything listed.

6. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I am not certain but believe that the best way to ensure the car does not start is to remove all control relays related to injectors and fuel pump! You should be able to identify them all, either through on-car labeling or through the user manual.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    How long did you spin it for before letting it fire? After you got it back together did it start up quickly or did it spin a bit more before it fired.

8. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I needed to spin the engine for between 15-20sec, at which time I stopped to let starter "cool" for about 30sec. The next time I tried it started immediately. Ever since then it starts perfectly.