mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 123 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They really are that light. I've seen a 720S luxury spec with full leather interior weighed at 3080 pounds with roughly a half a tank of fuel. My NSX weighed 3825 pounds on the same day for comparison.

of2worlds and 95spiderman like this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with most of what you've said, however if the NSX had 1000 hp at it's current MSRP it would sell like hot cakes. Hell even at 650 hp stock I think they'd sell near MSRP. Acura played it too safe. As an owner, the car is extremely quick to 80/90 mph but has a noticeable acceleration drop off at higher speeds. For Macca/Ferrari/Lambo owners to jump they need to be blown away. If the top end Vette can really delivery 1000 hp as a hybrid it will sell. If they limit it to 1000 numbered units it will sell for whatever price they want....

Mbutner and 95spiderman like this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awd 1000 hp hybrid isn't my taste but it will be popular in supercar segment. my c8 would be dohc na v8 with 600 hp at 8500 rpm. sign me up at $100k

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I think that is part of the question.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed, theres always 1000 to 3000 people for something outrageous, thats why a veryron sells. But besides an american veyron at 4000lbs I'd like an american Gt3 at 3200lbs, that to me is more desirable and frankly more credible as a serious performance car.

Course what do IU know, Ferrari has sold out their 1000 hp fugly F90 hybrid, so a 1000 hp hybrid vette is in that context/segment a game changer.

Harder to do light and good, than really powerful and excessively fast, I hope vette does both and evrything in between. What were seeign now is ver1.0 in year1..

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its an exotic chassis but a pedestrian motor. overall that makes it a near exotic. give c8 that 600 hp dohc 8500 rpm motor i want and yes, its a real exotic. need both chassis and motor to be exotic

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    CF buckets which even a Mustang GT350 has would loose some of that seat weight and dont have to be C5 crappy, lots of ways to loose weight without beign crappy.
    A Gt3 touring does not have all the comforts added back. Fundementaly its a GT3 sans rear wing and with a stick, in other words its just as light and hard as a GT3 just more road focussed, and in the touring case its more of a styling thing. BTW porche sells every GT3 variant they can produce, its also a big margin car, so the markets not that limited if you do it right.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Saw these numbers at the LKotus site, not saying they're 100% but interesting, the assumption is the vette wet weight is over 3500 lbs..

C8 Corvette (at 495hp/3511lb): 7.09 lb/hp
    Evora 400: 7.94 lb/hp
    Cayman S (PDK): 8.7 lb/hp
    McLaren 650S (using DIN weight): 4.91 lb/hp
    Acura NSX (2nd gen, using total system power): 6.77 lb/hp
    C7 Coupe (3298lb base, assuming that quoted is manual): 7.17 lb/hp
    Mk.V Supra: 10.14 lb/hp
    458 Italia: 5.74 lb/hp
    488 GTB: 4.91 lb/hp

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    With the stronger motors yet-to-come, this damn thing will be killer.

Personally, i like superchargers for the street. But give me 800+ hp, even turbo, even with pushrods in the motor ... in the neighborhood of $100~120k ... and i'll be smiling all day long :)

11. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I think this car has to hurt used Ferrari and McLaren used car prices. If you can go to a lot and get a brand new car at maybe $80 grand with 3 year warranty, why would you want an F430 paddle shift unless you really wanted "a Ferrari". Sure, there will be some. But others will say "hey I'm made so much money I want a mid engine sexy toy"

It won't kill the market but I don't think the C8 expands the market much beyond C7 sales. I don't see a lot more people "rushing into" the 2 seat sportscar market just because this car came to be.

That means -- used cars have one more issue to compete with. And with used 14 year old F430's with prices going about 100K, that's a problem for them.

A new Cayman and used F and M cars are all in this same arena.

k wright and 95spiderman like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think most people in the usa Buy a ferrari because its a ferrari and the statement it makes to them and others. There are very few who really buy it just for what it is, therefore a Me vette or cayman are not really competitors. Thats why pretty much every new ferrari for the last decade had plastic sheilds on the fenders.

The Me vette may afftect used gallardo prices, but even then.

The quyestion is the me vette precise enough to drive and well enough built to sway first time 911 buyers.

mikelfrance likes this.
  13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i think it will definitely hurt 992 sales. 911 always had superior traction and transmissions to vette. no more. and at 1/2 price its going to sway plenty buyers

classic308 and k wright like this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would certainly consider one over a 911 as a driver.
    Now let me hope they make a version I would consider over a Gt3. Twice I tried to order a 997 Gt3 even put down a deposit only to be denied because of "restricted supply" and speculators , from those experiences and dealer snobbery I didnt even try for a 991/992 and porche can go f-itself.

Same reason if I were buying a price higher exotic new it would be Mclaren over ferrari, well actualy I think the 600lt is a far more appealing car than any ferrari save the pista, and good luck getting one of those.

All of which is to say i hope vette gets it right and several versions, because I'm a buyer..

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    well you got lucky on that 997gt3. I had one for 4 yrs and was a disappointment. uncomfortable on street with bad ride and heavy clutch. and treacherous on track. had a spin due to front radiator hose spill that became a recall notice. could've been serious accident if any other cars around me. and car would want to swap ends under heavy braking even in straight line. I just assumed it was rear engine weight bias but it was a bad lsd that was also endemic to the model. on positive side, it had great steering, good sound and throttle response. and it held its value very well for me. but it turned me off from 911 since

16. qvpower

qvpower Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Cali
    There is now a super saturation of mid engine cars both new and old. Regardless of what is said about old v8 Ferraris, bottom line is price point wise, the corvette will inevitably be challenging all similarly specced cars. For the consumer that wants the full warranty and newer car, which most do.... the corvette may present itself to be a much better proposition than an old Ferrari /no warranty/ expensive maintenance...

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    911's are an "acquired taste" ... street or track

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    that looks great. another thing I like about c8 is how much customization they allow. trim can be black, cf, or body color (which I think looks best). can get no wing, low, or high wing (which I like best). and factory stripes plus multiple wheels and finishes. its almost like atelier

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    interior would be LT3 with red and black seats and the CF package. Red engine cover.

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ceramic gray w gray interior. body color trim and high wing. clear roof panel. I really like it.

Attached Files:

VAF84, classic308 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I don't KNOW this...but I think the DOHC variants (Z06/ZR1) are going to be turbocharged. That seems to be this week's FACTS...which are, of course, RUMORS;)

werewolf likes this.
  24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The vette is growing on me-looks better in lighter colors IMHO

VAF84 and JV's89 like this.
  25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i bet z06 is turbo and zr1/zora is turbo hybrid. not what i like but its what the market demands

boxerman and Jo Sta7 like this.