Thinking of Buying a 550 | FerrariChat

Thinking of Buying a 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have the itch to buy a 550 I think. I have a Porsche 996 Turbo 6mt X50 right now and just sold my '74 Alfa Spider - So I need something Italian in my life again!

From watching prices for a limited amount of time, I've seen the price of this one https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=506497807&zip=80211&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D80211%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Don%26modelCodeList%3D550M%26makeCodeList%3DFER%26searchRadius%3D0&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=550M&makeCodeList=FER&searchRadius=0&clickType=spotlight

Drop. For the miles, does this not seem priced low?

Anything else I should know about finding a good 550?

Thanks,

2. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    My 550 is for sale. If you are interested please reach out and send me a PM.

Biggest thing with Ferraris and 550s are maintenance records. Get a car that has been maintained and turn key. No one wants headaches from a car that has been sitting. A few things to look out for:
    -last major service ~ every 5 years
    - tires, brakes, etc.
    - immobilizer...does it have keys and fobs? The red fob specifically.
    -maintenance records.

Good luck! They are fantastic. Last manual only V12 Ferrari!

NE550, Il Tifoso and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes you are correct I learned my lesson with my first used classic Ferrari, 2 years and $19k later it’s finally a good car haha what are you getting now?

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  4. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looks like a nice car with low miles, I do not see any leather shrinkage or sticky switches. As with any used Ferrari, its all about the condition, e.g. the service. This car is 19 years old so when was the last major (and I mean major the way the experts on this site would define it) done. I bought a '98 550 3 years ago and as a point of reference it was the "Moorefan sorting thread" car. The prior owner did fully sort it and documented it here under that thread. That can give you an idea of the maintenance. I'm guessing that if I had to have an independent mechanic do all that work I'd be looking at $30,000 plus.
    There are people and threads on this site that can give detail insight.
    Happy hunting, the 550 is amazing (maybe not as quick as your turbo - but very different) btw I still have my '89 Spider.

5. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looks like a nice car with low miles, I do not see any leather shrinkage or sticky switches. As with any used Ferrari, its all about the condition, e.g. the service. This car is 19 years old so when was the last major (and I mean major the way the experts on this site would define it) done. I bought a '98 550 3 years ago and as a point of reference it was the "Moorefan sorting thread" car. The prior owner did fully sort it and documented it here under that thread. That can give you an idea of the maintenance. I'm guessing that if I had to have an independent mechanic do all that work I'd be looking at $30,000 plus.
    There are people and threads on this site that can give detail insight.
    Happy hunting, the 550 is amazing (maybe not as quick as your turbo - but very different) btw I still have my '89 Spider.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Mileage <400per annum. Query has it been regularly serviced and has it been left unused for long periods. These cars should be driven.
    Grey and black not to my taste - too gloomy.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I know the dealer : very reputable in SF, the f40 he sells is his own. He sells good string cars and his facility is also used as storage for cars that are absolutely to die for. If you like the car give them a call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm at the very start of this search. I'm finishing a new 3 car garage with a lift and thinking what I should buy to fill the upper lift since the Alfa is gone!

Like most, growing up Ferrari was the dream. My dad owned 1 of 14 365 California Spiders when I was a kid. My thought is I have to follow in his footsteps and get a V12 manual Ferrari!

Yes, my Porsche may be faster, but I like the idea of having a real GT Ferrari with a bit more comfort and polish.

9. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    @Natkingcolebasket69 - Thanks for the info!

Doesn't the price seem pretty good for that car overall? Or have prices just been dropping that hard recently?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It seems decent enough, they are great pros. Give them a call;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I’m also local to this car and have seen it while at San Francisco Sports Cars (very reputable dealer, straight shooters, lots of knowledge btw)... it shows really well.

Good luck in the search, these are wonderful cars!

Ruben

12. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Am I the only one who thinks the one in SF is a bit overpriced? The mileage is low and I don't know the service history but it doesn't have much in the way of options. I think you could do better.

The red one has a few nicer options but the mileage is getting close to high if you ever plan on reselling it. I learned this when selling my first 355.

14. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks. That was sort of my thought as well as I looked at the silver one a bit more.

What are the desirable options to have?

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'm not as well versed in 550s but here's a thread talking about options. From my experience, Daytona seats are a must and most buyers care about the shields, too. I personally think the cars look better without the shields but you should factor it for resale. Also, the rear shelf seems to be a popular one.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/550-maranello-factory-options-list.592406/

16. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #16 Il Tifoso, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    With just a quick glance, this one definitely has a repaint (at least partial if not full, as the lower valences are now body color as opposed to matte black). Also, both the front and rear bumpers look misaligned (the front gap between bumper and hood is especially bad) and the front radiator cowl is aftermarket, perhaps suggesting some accident damage too. The rear tray looks a bit funky like someone didn’t take the time to put it back together properly (why was it apart in the first place?).

Also, looks like a non US car, but at least it has the CA BAR sticker.

None of this is necessarily a show stopper depending on what you’re after, but just go in with eyes wide open!

Ruben

17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    The shields on the red one look aftermarket to me. Never liked them on the 550 and like them even less if aftermarket. Really like the gray one even though as Bluebottle said is a bit too gloomy. Will stop by to see it today if time allows.

Good luck with your search. They're fantastic cars and the good ones are keepers in my opinion.

18. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Good point! I definitely want one with all original paint..

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are probably none out there with all original paint. The paint on the bumpers (and the rest of the car) is pretty fragile and most bumpers have been repainted.

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Terry. Many had lower panels resprayed after their test drives at the factory. Many more were sent to Factory-authorized coachwork centers to have blemishes, spotted at the ports of arrival, corrected before they were sent on to dealerships.

21. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's interesting - so to find a 550 with paint that can be metered to show as original isn't necessarily a thing?

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    No, it's not a thing. All owners have accepted the fact that Ferraris have undergone resprays sometime in their lives. The paint, as Terry mentioned, is quite fragile. Here's how my 550 looked after 59,000 miles of use...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Replete with a cracked spoiler and fog lamp. It was resprayed and is now collecting new road rash.

23. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's really interesting! It was a huge deal when looking for my 911 Turbo to make sure the paint metered correctly.

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well, it's not a huge deal in the Ferrari world except for those who let it be a huge deal. If you're going to examine a 550 with a paint thickness gauge, then a 550 isn't for you. If your intention is to buy a fine V12 that you can enjoy, then a 550 is a good choice.

A Maranello is a fine machine covered by a few mils of paint. That's the healthiest way to view it.

dodici likes this.
  25. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That makes sense to me. It also makes it a lot easier overall.

What is the sweet spot for mileage? I know on my 911 it was under 30k miles before the price started to drop a pretty decent amount.