Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 95 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco

2. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    Aren't there any places on the frame or any other body parts where VIN # is stamped?

3. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    Not to change the subject, but I am surprised no one has mentioned the Verde Gemma Ghibli for sale on BaT. I think the LS7 in the Alaskan car is perhaps not the one you're thinking of. That one is a rare 1970 replacement for the L88. It was sold only as a crate engine. That makes it a cast iron block, aluminum head BBC. By coincidence, my son installed a very similar BBC in a customer car today, so we weighed it beforehand. As a bare longblock with flywheel and clutch assembly, it weighed 572 lbs. My Bora engine (not dry sump, but similar) weighed 490 with flywheel and clutch, but also with induction and exhaust headers. That might explain why this car seems to sit lower in front. This engine with its Traco build should be worth quite a lot to big block fans, maybe defraying a little the cost of a tipo 115 engine.

4. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Ah, yes I was mistaken!!

5. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    At 52k with a day to go, it wasn’t that long ago that an original car like this would have already been over 100k, last weekend a decent driver SS with power steering didn’t break 160k. https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25220/lot/125/ a 3500 https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25220/lot/165/ failed to sell with a high bid of around 150k. While the overall market has been softening for the past few years the hole in the balloon seems to have gotten a bit larger with unfortunately Maserati leading way. (Being forced downward by the decline in vintage Ferrari values).

alfieri107 likes this.
  6. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
  7. GLB

GLB Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    George Lawrence Brantingham
    It really is - mine is nearly identical and I paid considerably more than that nearly 10 years ago. I wasn't planning on selling, but it's still disappointing. At the same time there's a 240Z at $105k.

8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    The US market has always undervalued Boras (among other great cars).

We can discuss the why of it forever (the US spec atrocities; lack of a widespread Citroen network etc etc) but the reality is that you are not going to find a factory euro beautiful example for less than $250K in Europe.

Like the Khamsin this will not balance out until enough find there way back to their home continent!
    These numbers simply accelerate that process.

Regards.

9. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Somewhat encouraging the Ghibli sold at 118, however the bora was a no sale at 86.

10. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  11. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    PLEASE note the first line of the advert:
    "Fantastique projet de restauration"

English translation:
    "Fantastic restoration project"

Regards.

12. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #2362 luvcoupes, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Julian and Ivan,
    After speaking with the owner of that 1967/69 I now have new information. It is a 1969 car, except for the body from the windshield to the rear. The body was grafted on at the center of the door sills. The rear end and brakes are 1969. He is not sure if the doors are 1969. He has already identified some of those misc. parts with the VIN #'s last 2 digits. What is still a mystery is how the car came to be registered as a 1967 model. The owner surmises that it was registered in CA as a 1967 to avoid the pollution controls required in the late 1970's, and w/o it's original engine it would never pass smog testing. So it appears that the rear of the car being a 1967 is just a coincidence to the 1967 registration.
    Do factory AC cars have controls on the dash that are different from non AC cars? Looking at different dash configurations it's not apparent to me.
    Thanks

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Changing the subject here. I found this part that is obviously a spare tire hold down bolt. Very nice, with knurled handle. Here are some pictures. 19,5 cm of shaft length, M12 X 1.75 pitch. Does this belong to the Ghibli i used to own? or maybe someone can ID this. Clearly this was well made. Not sure of the material...didn't put a magnet to it. thanx steve

Attached Files:

14. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    It looks custom made and not from the factory for any model I know of.

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for looking. much appreciated. steve

16. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx again, Julian. steve

17. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

lineaTesoro likes this.
  18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks very nice! The assembly process is the best part of a restoration.

Ivan

JulianMerak likes this.
  19. JulianMerak

JulianMerak Formula 3

Hi,

I noticed one of the original Road and Track test Ghiblis had these same lamps too
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. GrifoS2

GrifoS2 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    Hi,

Would be interesting to know which Borranis are under that Ghibli Spider?

Those rear lights are in Ghibli America parts catalog, tavola 5

http://thecarnut.com/Manuals/Parts/GhibliAmerica.pdf

I am looking for headlight lifter parts in same page, I have older euro lifter with the car now...
    Also choke mechanism with switch at rear of intake manifold is missing.

Juha

21. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Juha,

I know about at least 3 different kind of rear lights, depening on the period.

Common with Alfas, but too w/ Lambo, De Tomaso and some others.

If MIE has not, did you try rareparts.nl for example ? Candini...?

22. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
  23. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    There's no market anymore.

Excepted for the really exceptional cars.

Besides, after the Pebble Beach week...