The New 2022 F1 Chassis | FerrariChat

The New 2022 F1 Chassis

Discussion in 'F1' started by miketuason, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Wrong colour - where’s the Rosso

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and TonyL like this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Mercedes colour, concept by Mercedes?, If so looks like they are well advanced for 2022 already:)
    Doesn't bode well.

What concerns me is "standard" parts, so the FIA has more control over the manufacture and delegation of those components = Bad news

So if F1 is the portrayed as the pinnacle in motor racing, how can they gloat about that in the future.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    How can it be the pinnacle of racing if they don't even get to practice/test ???

stavura, dflett, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

I think the whole world laughs at them when they claim it’s the pinnacle of anything now, let alone if they standardise more of the parts.... whole series is a joke, and a far cry from its heyday..... isn’t the phrase ‘jumping the shark’ when something that was so good suddenly steps off the precipice and becomes a farce of its former self?

happened to f1 in 2010, they fell onto a ledge, and they asked Mercedes for a hand off the ledge, Mercedes laughed and threw them off to the abyss below, turning the sport into a poor pastiche of what it might have been. Poxy little engines, farcical electric systems, ridiculous tyres and stewards who seem to either make the rules up as they go along, or are picking their decisions out of a tombola each week

ingegnere, Bas, stavura and 3 others like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If they were to bring back unlimited testing, that would stretch the field even further.
    Some teams wouldn't be able to afford testing on top of 21 GPs a year.
    Plus, let's not forget that the teams agreed to limited testing.

7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Aside from the halo, that car looks pretty good.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ok, allow them 3 times as many practice days per year as there are race days per year.

Back in the MS era, Ferrari would practice/develop/test 100+ days per year.

classic308, stavura and daytona355 like this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Exactly, you did notice I used in the sentence "portrayed as the pinnacle of motor racing".

It doesn't fool me or you, how can it be innovative, creative and ground breaking when teams have both hands tied behind their backs, but if you get more interference from the FIA in supplying parts as well then god help the sport!

Best

Tony

daytona355 likes this.
  10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I spoke with one guy from Pirelli many years ago and he said "Tony, those cars sound like ****"
    Couldn't agree more.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Absolutely.... can you imagine any other sports banning their athletes from practice and training? The standard of the sports reduces exponentially. The usual cries about the smaller teams not being able to afford it is not a valid excuse, they can’t afford the developments in the wind tunnels and CFD either, are they going to ban that as well? If they can’t afford the sport, why are they in it?——- money and glamour. F1 has always had its minnows, who race with no chance of ever scaring the top ten, let alone the top step of the podium, didn’t put them off when they could not test as much as everyone else.... what changed? The worldwide disease of ENTITLEMENT I think, and it’s not right

TonyL, Finlander and Bas like this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Actually just re-read post no 1 and Brawn's comments. "The great teams will still be great"

So how will the small teams become great?.............never under these rules, you should know that Mr B having created Brawn GP from Honda and then selling it on to Mercedes. You of all people should know small teams need big budgets and a fair distribution, biased to the smaller teams, of prize money, - good luck with that !

tony

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Testing answer is simple.

Lowest scoring team in the WDC previous year gets most testing miles allowance.
    Highest scoring team gets the least (outside of winter testing, obviously).

I understand that the teams have sunk so much money in the current engines it'll stay for the time being. The internal combustion engine is not an expensive part, allow that at least to be swapped every other race or so. Simplify the turbo and allow that to be swapped every other race as well. Then open up the fuel restrictor and re-introduce fueling. This stops cars driving at 70% of it's true capability because it's fuel limited and needs to be mindful of wearing the engine (this is not endurance racing).

Last, do what they did in 2009...rid the body of all that pointless winglets. Get rid of the barge boards entirely. Smaller front wing with less **** on it and introduce ground effect.

There we go cost taken control of, engines somewhat better with what we've got, a race is not decided in the first corner nor will a driver play it safe all the time because it's somehow gotten to the stage that F1 is an endurance race stretched out over a series of tracks.

14. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I not a fan of standardization or restriction in F1. I watch F1 cars race because of the technical masterpieces they are. But this seems to be what people want in the name of better racing. The new cars look good though

TonyL likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It seems that you chose to ignore the COST of testing that many teams can't afford.

F1 is not only about Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull, it's also the other teams.

ktu likes this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think that standardisation will impose itself in the long run.

ktu likes this.
  17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First allow the teams to test at the venues on the Monday and Tuesday after the GPs as the equipment is already there. The teams that are leading the WDC will have their mileage limited. Smaller teams can develop their cars and drivers; they won’t need computer simulators. This isn’t flight school. Second, No more changing tire specs every year. 5 compounds-soft, medium, hard, inters and wets, and their construction cannot change for at least 2-3 years. Third, go back to simple front and rear wings, no drs. Money saved on exotic constructions and aero testing there. Fourth, allow for more engine development. New spec engines can be introduced after every third or fourth race. Get rid of stupid 15k rev limits. A 2015 Yamaha R1 STREET bike revved to 14,500 Rpm. Fifth, no refueling.

This is F1. Strategy, tires, refueling is all nice for endurance racing. F1 is supposed to be balls to the wall flat out for roughly 187 miles; check out MotoGP to see what I mean.

TonyL and Bas like this.
  18. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    I think Ferrari missed the boat when they refused to supply engines to Team Brawn, and I think Ross' thoughts are not so much in favour of il cavallino.

daytona355 likes this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This list they’ve sent sounds dumb. They need to NOT stop innovation. They do need to improve passing. They do need to allow unlimited testing. They do need a rule that demands the defuser not unsettle the car behind them.

daytona355 likes this.
  20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They missed getting passed like a boat. That’s about it. Ferrari have never and will never give engines to a team that could be a threat.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Agreed, but at least their engine would have won the world championship, and Mercedes would not have purchased the team, and maybe today, the FIA's technical department would look more favorably upon the scuderia.

daytona355 and crinoid like this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you can't afford testing an F1 car, you cannot afford to race an F1 car.

daytona355 likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Teams don't get paid to test, but they receive extra income for more races.

25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Nice ideas, I think you would see a increase in the 2nd works teams (ie torro rosso - red bull) all supposedly struggling to compete and demanding huge testing licences. Testing data would then be directly being fedback to the works team.

Tony

daytona355 likes this.