458 or 488 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    U guys are the ones acting like snowflakes. A subset of people disagree and you scream racism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You list of cars is truly remarkable , congratulations but could there also be a reason why you scorn the 488 because you didn't buy one ?[/QUOTE]

Is it not more likely that he did not buy the 488 because he did not like it.

Why must there be an ulterior motive for preferring the 458 over the 488? Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. They found the 458 more to their liking.

3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Dude - this is a forum to share opinions. You knew what you were doing when you put the Poll out. But you wanted to stir the pot anyway.

Snowflakes and Racism? Really? On this site? What a shame.

So - am I a Snowflake because I find the 488 to be a much better car and Ferrari than the 458? Or, am I just wrong? There are many rules that we Snowflakes need to learn.

It appears that you are just looking for an argument. Maybe I am wrong, but it appears that way. If your cars don't bring enough joy - adopt a puppy.

Some could say that you are just insecure so you want others to agree with you and you can feel better about loving a slower, older car. But - that might be an unfair opinion. :)

How about spending more time driving those great cars and less time starting BS? If some of you guys are this unhappy discussing your hobby, then good luck with the real problems in life.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    At this point, I’d also like to point something out:

Liking and preferring the 458 doesn’t equal to hating the 488 necessarily, and I’ll give you my personal case: although I’ll always prefer the 458 and keep mine until the end of time for an array of reasons, when prices are more to my liking, I’ll certainly look for a Giallo Modena or Blu Corsa 488 Spider.

Like I’ve stated before: I would never trade my Italia for a GTB. If you stop at that, you’d consider me a hater. But I would/will indeed look at a 488 when the time is right. So, it’s a grey area.

Hope this helps to rescue the credibility of the poll and the debate. Things aren’t always black or white. Life isn’t always binary.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

LucasFerrari, paulchua, Pocty and 2 others like this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Gentlemen,

I’m sure you both realize that your comments are grounds to warn or ban you.

Nevertheless, I believe that as great contributors to this community, you both can’t be proud of your interventions upon stopping and thinking for a little bit. I believe none of the comments above do you justice.

Therefore, I believe in giving people a chance through a constructive dialogue and a pedagogical approach instead of dropping the hammer immediately.

I do have to urge you to keep your tone civil, cordial and respectful.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Just to be clear I found the 355 to be one of the biggest pieces of **** Ferrari ever built. Total maintenance hog. Sorry its hard to get the "raw visceral" experience when the car sits in the shop 9 months out of the year. Its raw and visceral all right - to youre wallet.

Shadowfax, ShineKen, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i attack ideas, not people. i think the poll is relevant and telling. everyone is free to disagree or ignore.

xfrgtr likes this.
  8. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Howbout a poll on separate 458 and 488 forums?

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    happy to maintain a legend like the f355

ShineKen and xfrgtr like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ur funny. insecurity about what? if i wanted a 488 or 20 of them i wld.... how is me favoring one car over another show insecurity?

xfrgtr likes this.
  11. northside1

northside1 Rookie

Jun 2, 2018
    I voted 458. When given a choice I usually chose the NA car over a turbo car. I also think the styling is crisper and cleaner. In my mind, the 488 is the beginning of the branch that led to the SF90 styling which I dislike. I have never driven a 488 but have lots of seat time in 458s so I can't comment on performance differences but I am starting to be of the mindset that there is a lot more to the car experience than numbers. I've never been a 355 guy.

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this is a a458/488/f8 forum -where else shld i have put this poll? looks like there are more people in favor of the 458. where is the blasphemy? you wanna say only owners voted for 488 and non owners voted 458? thats irrelevant for the poll.

xfrgtr likes this.
  13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I was not addressing you or any aspect of your poll. Just putting it out there since there is so much friction and the mods appear to be listening.

Ash Patel likes this.
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    oh got ya. really not a big deal. its a poll. doesn't change anyone's life. not sure why it became so emotional.

ShineKen likes this.
  15. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I don’t have a bad thing to say about either car. I feel beyond fortunate to be able to own one - either one. To be brief, I chose my car because I liked it the most. Simple as that. And, no regrets.

Honestly, I think that it became so emotional (actually, it has been this way for a long time) because someone (not everyone) saying that their car is better than yours because your car sucks (in some way) every time the two models are compared is/can be gratuitously insulting. Ultimately, it doesn’t (or shouldn’t) matter. But, it does to some. Especially, when it is so regular it reaches the level of cliche.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    To ignore the pool is just ludicrous. Any results entertained are just false...………………..period

Any car maker introducing a new model worse than the previous is just out of their brains.

458>488>F8 is an evolution. Notice how everything slowly improves ? BUT it doesn't mean the F8 is better than the 488 for what the customer thinks is important to him.
    But technically it is.
    I for one would have preferred a N/A but the turbo is so seamless it doesn't matter. But the styling of the 458 wasn't for me. I don't hate it , I just didn't want to buy one because of MY reasons.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I believe there is a discussion of 458 vs 488 on the FERRARI DISCUSSION NOT MODEL SPECIFIC forum. But no poll.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What a dumb thread.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

117 replies

Much bigger than most threads. Much bigger.

dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes i saw that, posted, and didnt want to derail that thread so created this one in the appropriate sub section and people are having a meltdown

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    best post of the thread

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Careful, you will get jumped here by the blind for speaking the truth.
    Well written btw.

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The funny thing to me is that if there could be a demarcation between old school and technology, I can't see how it could be between the 458 and 488 - the 458 is really in the same path as the 488, it's just less evolved but not fundamentally different. Maybe many 458 owners just wish it could retain the (relatively low) value it has reached now, and think bashing the 488 is a good way to achieve that...
    But in the long term I believe the 458 will just be considered as an intermediate step in the very same path (maybe the last iteration of that path will the the F8 VS, before downsized hybrid start a new era), and people looking for a radically different proposal with look at significantly older cars.

25. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    They are both really great cars. The 488 is a more evolved modern replacement of the 458 plain and simple. You might say you like the styling of one over the other but its just subjective. I've owned two 458's and driven the 488 on more than one occasion. I prefer the styling over the 488 but both cars are truly amazing. I'm just glad to be here and able to own and drive either one of them.

Napoli likes this.