348 - Stop Grinding Your Cold 1-2 Shift | FerrariChat

348 Stop Grinding Your Cold 1-2 Shift

Discussion in '348/355' started by mojocoggo, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mojocoggo

mojocoggo Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Dylan Leff
    There have been a lot of posts about this and some even suggest skipping 2nd gear or letting the car warm up for 10+ minutes before driving and chalking it up to "because Ferrari."

My car did this when I got it and I thought "that must just be how it is" until I changed the gear oil and made a slight adjustment to how I drive.

Now I start driving right away (keeping the RPM reasonable of course) and have not had a single issue with cold shifting my 1990 348.

Let me know if you've had this issue and if the method in the video ends up working for you.

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oil, cable adjustment, synchro state, assembly variability and tolerance, clutch, pedal throw etc etc all play a factor. What works on one car may not work on another. Some cars don't like the ns oil and need too add motdifiers etc.

But the ns oil is next for me the amsol does not work well regardless of technique so perhaps the ns oil will help with the pause method. I'll try it.

Thanks for posting!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
    If you burb the throttle as you shift - at least for me in both my Mondial t and 348 - the shifts work just fine when cold.

steved033 likes this.
  4. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I do a little double clutch move for the first couple of 1-2 shifts. After about the second shift things get better.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Are you using Amsoil. Ferrari shop here says it’s all they use. Was going to try it. What’s your opinion of it.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is no one oil that works. I have read enough threads where one miracle oil does not work for another and one horrible oil curs another ill's. For me the Amsoil does not shift second well at ell even when warmed up. May be too slick. Other threads say the Amsoil was amazing and made their 2nd great. Try a few see what works.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    amsoil never worked for me either. redline MTL has always worked in the northeast type of conditions. have you tried MTL?

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Redline NS is next. Im in NJ.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    u tried MTL?

10. mojocoggo

mojocoggo Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Dylan Leff
    Thanks all for the feedback! I don't doubt there are unlimited variables that can make each car different. This was to document my experience with the NS oil and how it made a dramatic improvement. The previous transmission oil only had about 1200 miles and 4 years on it and came out fairly clean, which leads me to believe it just wasn't the ideal fluid for the car.

I am interested to hear if the slight pause makes a noticeable difference for those who are currently having a stubborn cold 2nd gear.

11. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It’s a fairly common malady on the Abarth, but we have a clutch delay valve in the hydraulic line. Does your Ferrari? People who have removed from their Fiat said they saw improvement in the 1-2 shift.

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/articles/techtip_cdv_removal.htm

I think the valve is installed since it has hill assist, that being marketed toward new manual drivers as sort of a training aid, I suppose. I don’t like it.
    The valve was also reported to make bleeding more difficult, and that trapped air within it was a possible cause for the shifting issue.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No I have not only Amsoil. Redline NS is next if that is not optimal I'll try MTL.

13. WAWEISS

WAWEISS Rookie

May 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Walter Weiss
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I tried Redline (with a couple of capfulls of Redline friction modifier) on my F355 and initially it seemed to work, but that was in summer. On cold days, it still offered enough resistance to consider jumping straight to 3rd.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nice!

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Resistance and grind are 2 different things!

Qavion likes this.
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    oh. I get a gravelly feeling when changing gear. Not overly loud. Is grind more aural?

I have new synchros in the lower gears.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To me grind is like finger nails on a chalkboard. Resistance is just a sign you need to wait a cple minutes longer.

Natkingcolebasket69, emac and Qavion like this.
  19. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Redline NS. Not perfect but will shift cold. Massive improvement.

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Mtl is way better

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The AMsoil GB oil was horrid in my car, good oil but nicked teeth all the time changing gears, puled out of gear with a clunk. It worked awful for me. I am using Shell Spriax S5 now, it works very well it even shifts second decently when cold and shifts second really well a lot sooner. No nicked teeth, no clunking coming out of gear. It feels like OEM oil.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Do you use this in your F40?

Sent from my 16M

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I wld but ive never had a grinding issue in the 40, but then again i drive it 100 miles a year lol

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh amsoil gear/tranny oil was a big whatever when i tried them. Mtl is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk