Video of unmodified '09 GTB doing 202+ mph | FerrariChat

Video of unmodified '09 GTB doing 202+ mph

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hey gents:
    If you go to the Motor1.com website or go to the Johnny Bohmer Proving Grounds site on YouTube, you can watch a two minute video added today of an unmodified black 599 driven by a pro driver to 202.151 mph achieved at a distance of 2.7 miles.
    This test occurred around noon of May 4 this year. While watching the video and without the heads-up display like benefit of the superimposed speedometer, G-levels, time and date, it's difficult to obtain a sense of its speed from the cockpit due to the wideness of the track at 100 yards.
    ENJOY!

speed4me and crinoid like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easily believable since even the 575M had a 202 mph top speed. You are not going to get there in 2.7 miles, though, more like 6-8 miles for the Maranello.

Modena_2003 and crinoid like this.
  3. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    I’ve taken an F12 to 204mph in 1.5 miles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On a Ferrari, 200 mph indicated is probably in the range of 180-190 mph actual due to speedometer error.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

LOL!

7. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    That’s hilarious

My excursion was radar verified at a speed event. I don’t know what the speedometer was reading, as I was keeping the eyes way up the road

donv, Caphill, speed4me and 1 other person like this.
  8. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks for posting. It's my car that is shown. I ran out of room, speed was still climbing. Had a side wind fighting me at 9 knts, which is a little over 10mph. Question is, I'm wondering if I would have gotten a higher speed by manually shifted instead of auto?

Caphill likes this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As long as auto put you in top gear (which at that speed I'm sure it did), using the paddles wouldn't have made a difference.

Edit: Ooops, I just realized you said you ran out of room. Yes, using the paddles would have gotten you there sooner.

10. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    I thought so. I didn't want to chance another run with the cross wind, was getting a bit dicey, not to mention breaking something.

FIN612 likes this.
  11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hi MRY, I think engineering physics can theoretically confirm that a 120 PS, 82 Nm torque and lower Cd (drag coefficient) differences between the F12 and the 599 GTB will cause the later and newer developed F12 to reach terminal velocity within a much shorter distance.

However, there are also a lot of extenuating circumstances that can affect speed vs distance traveled: gear change ET, ambient temperature/humidity, side, head or tail winds, elevation changes of the track, type of tires used, etc.

No question both can exceed 200 mph so the only apples-to-apples method to properly compare distance traveled to achieve top speed between these two fantastic Ferraris is to test them on the same track, on the same day/hour, probably wearing the same make/model tires, and running them side-by-side.

Hey speed4me, if you were driving your 599 during that high speed test on video, kudos to you for your chutzpah and grande cajones! Same goes for you too MRY. Fastest I've ever driven was a limited 155 mph driving two previous cars: '02 SLK32-AMG and '89 560SEC on two different occasions on deserted freeways many moons ago. Haven't taken my HGTE above 130 mph since there are too many 'gumball pace car machines' using Lidar on our freeways nowadays. Some day in the near future on a track, I will.

MRY likes this.
  12. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Yes,

Calculating the frontal area, drag, power and rate of TQ changes will get you the difference in times and distance to speed on a 599 and F12

That said, the difference in experience and road feel can only be experienced in the cockpit

Once you get used to the speed and the sensation, it’s hard to go slowly unless it’s unsafe.

As far as the Lidar gumball machines, maybe invest in electronic countervailing measures including diffusers if it’s allowed?

All my cars have some sort of this type of protection to help when you might want to be spirited.

I recommend going to a timed runway event and experience the car at speed without gumballs They usually have laser clocks and calibrated radars to give you documentation of your efforts. I preferred the 1.5 mile vs the 1.0 mile ones.

Just remember to breathe and concentrate to avoid brain fade.....

13. speed4me

speed4me Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Da Butcher- Thanks very much. It was a rush. Johnny puts on a fantastic operation @Johnnybohmerprovinggrounds It was a sanctioned run by the IMRA where the speeds are measured, not by the car's speedo, but by outside and inside equipment. I still wish I would have run it in manual mode. Wind was an issue. thanks for the conversation!

Licht and MRY like this.