So why is the 911sc cabriolet so cheap still? | FerrariChat

So why is the 911sc cabriolet so cheap still?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by F355 Fan 82, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I’ve always wanted one and I finally found a nice one close to me, had it checked out and purchased it. Just curious why such a low production car, less than 2000 made as cabriolets that was the 1st 911 convertible isn’t getting more love these days. Seems pretty significant car in the scope of the 911 being the first cab. No complaints from me, I’m thrilled to have added a nice driver for the price I did, but seeing that almost all old 911s have gone nuts, is there any particular reason these haven’t gone up at all? Our first kids are coming in 10 weeks and I told the wife, this and my 575 are the college fund, 18 years from now we can hopefully dump both and make a tidy sum when it’s college time haha
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and anunakki like this.
  2. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #2 Island Time, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    911's, in general, are not as aesthetically pleasing as coupes or targas. (no matter the year)...and...

….one more thing to maintain

then you've got the crowd that says they're not as rigid. (I honestly don't know about that. They may or may not be)

Personally....there's just something about the way a 911 is supposed/designed? to be driven that doesn't lend itself to top down driving. No real reason to say that other than it just seems so to me.

Rag tops are for a different purpose. A purpose all it's own.

(those are just my takes. I wish I knew what made markets tick ;))

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    911SCs are a bargain, in general. How much did you spend on the cab?

I prefer the targa, but that's just personal preference.

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    In all honesty it was a 44k mile car and they were asking $45k but I talked them down to $39k. It’s just odd to me bc it’s a first of an era car(first 911 cab) and only 2k were made, look at production numbers of the 1989 911 speedster which are closer to $200k. The gap is enormous and production figures for the two are not. What’s odd too is all air cooled cars but the 911SC cab have gone nuts.

5. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Sportomatic???:)

6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Congrats! Guards Resale red too.

Island Time likes this.
  7. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If my memory's correct, 83 was the first (and only) year for the 911SC 3.0 cabriolet ... the car was replaced in 84 with the 3.2 Carrera (coupe, cab and Targa), and that was considered to be a fairly significant upgrade from the SC, with the Bosch Motronics instead of the Jetronic CIS system, which was a lot more fiddly to deal with to get a smooth idle. Also a good idea to upgrade the SC to the oil-fed chain tensioners, which was probably done decades ago, and add a pop-off valve to the airbox so it doesn't explode if you get a backfire. But cabriolets became pretty common from 84-89, and for whatever reason, they always lagged behind the coupes in value.

The 87-89 3.2 Carrera was really the pinnacle for that variation of the 911, with larger AC vents (still inadequate) and the upgraded G-50 gearbox, which makes a big difference, those cars have become more valuable. There are certain ranges in the 911 lineage that lag behind others, the 2.7 Carreras are a good example, as is the 996. SCs are somewhere in the middle, and are a pretty good value if you find a nice one. The one weak spot on the SC is the head studs, which have a tendency to snap. The car may still run fine with one broken but it's a good idea to check them when you are having the valves adjusted.

That being said, my first two 911s were SC Targas, and they are nice analog examples of the air cooled cars. I loved the Targa but it's hard to get the roof to seal correctly, the cabriolet is better in that regard.

Il Tifoso, 375+ and BOKE like this.
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Vic I think you mean the US 2.7 911S and not Carrera?

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Correct, my mistake ... the 2.7 911S. There was also a wide body 77 3.0 Carrera which had a larger engine based on the Turbo motor (minus the turbos), aluminum case instead magnesium, but it had still had some of the same issues the 2.7 cars had ... thermal reactors, EGR, etc. I think in the US those were grey market cars. It was a tough period for emissions at the time.

BOKE and 375+ like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That's right, there wasn't a US version of the 76-77 3.0 Carrera(aside from the 930). Dark days indeed!

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Actually, good clean 2.7 911Ss are going for more or less the same money as 911SCs and even 911 Carreras (the 3.2 version). They are hard to find and some people (myself) prefer the lighter car and narrow body. And the 2.7, with appropriate fixes, is actually a great motor and lots of fun.

Old school Porsche guys will always diss the mid-year (74-77) cars, because they remember how lousy they were when new. But those guys are slowly disappearing...

In regard to the OP's question, the 3.2 Carrera is simply a better car, and there are really no reasons why someone would want a 911SC Cab over a 3.2-- it's the same car, except the 3.2 is better. That said, I think all of those cars are valued more on condition and miles than specific year. So I think a good 911SC Cab represents a solid value-- but I wouldn't expect it to appreciate massively, in regard to other years.

BOKE and Fritz Ficke like this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Dan congrats on your new Porsche.

13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    thanks its been a fun driver, im really enjoying it alot.

donv, Island Time and anunakki like this.
  14. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I used to have an ‘87 coupe. They’re fun cars. Very analog. You will need to upgrade the AC if you bring it to Miami though :)

Continue enjoying it!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    911s are just so much fun. I love them. Congrats.

Boomhauer and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  16. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I’ve been fortunate to own every air-cooled generation 911. The SC cab was the one I owned the longest - 9.5 years. Drove it everywhere - skiing, mountain biking, long coast trips, Monterey Historics. Even time trialed it in POC when I sold my 69 911 race/track car. Great memories of the car; sometimes for nostalgic sake, I do a VIN Google search to see if it’s for sale somewhere. I liked the SC engine more than any of the 80s Carreras.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ditto... love the SC engine... had a '78 with the large euro runners... 3.2 SS.
    What a great car.

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Your SC will have the more powerful engine vs earlier SCs, while retaining the shorter gearing of the SC vs the 3.2, which is a good combination.

But there were many 3.2, 964 and 993 cabrios, all upgraded/modernised versions of your car, so I’m not sure about values going up. Fun car though enjoy!