Will Ferrari take the Pista to the Nürburgring? | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari take the Pista to the Nürburgring?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RoyalPink, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I'm hoping they do. Nürburgring as of late has become the De facto standard of how a car is measured these days. Much like the 0-60 time has always been. Nowadays all of these manufacturers are purporting their cars are "track cars." The 488GTB had a 7:21 which isn't so hot. McLaren MP4-12C a 7:28 and the 650S a 7:35. Those numbers aren't so hot either. Lambo and Porsche have done a great job at the Ring as we all know. McLaren 720S is a no show on the ring as well. I'm hoping Ferrari steps up with the Pista and does it this time. There's a reason the 720S hasn't gone to the Ring. If it were truly that great, then McLaren would back it up. There's a good chance the Pista can be the new King of the Ring. For reference here are the top ten:

6:44.97 - Lamborghini Aventador LP770-4 SVJ (2018)
    6:47.25 - Porsche 911 GT2 RS (991.2)
    6:48.28 - Radical SR8 LM
    6:52.01 - Lamborghini Huracán LP 640-4 Performante (2017)
    6:55 - Radical SR8
    6:56.4 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991.2)
    6:57 - Porsche 918 Spyder
    6:59.73 - Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Superveloce (2015)
    7:01.3 - Dodge Viper ACR (2017)
    7:04.632 - Mercedes-AMG GT R Pro

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m sure they have unofficially

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Ring is just a German marketing trick. It's not even a meaningful metric, as the huge lap hinders timing reliability and repeat-ability, due to small driver errors that pile up on such a long lap. Not to mention the varying weather conditions on different parts of the track. Moreover, the set up needed is different (softer and higher) to the one needed on a normal circuit, so what works at the Ring doesn't work so well in normal tracks. Thus, it doesn't make sense to optimise a car for the Ring. Finally, Ferrari doesn't need the publicity that other manufacturers are trying to garner by publishing Ring times.

MuratC likes this.
  4. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Yes it is a marketing trick and one that seems to be working very well.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No one cares about ring times other than VW group.

stavura, Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  6. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Except for the fact it's becoming more pervasive.

dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where is it becoming more pervasive?

Ferrari doesnt care.
    Mclaren doesnt care.
    Aston doesnt care.
    Koennigsegg doesnt care.
    Pagani doesnt care.

Lambo and porsche care - VW group.

its a useless metric that no one gives a rats ass about. If Ferrari races the Pista on the ring great. But I for one am not sitting there waiting for ring times for the Pista to determine if the car is something I should buy or not.

Napoli, stavura, Shack and 3 others like this.
  8. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    It's becoming more pervasive because of motoring journalists, social influencers and certain manufacturers using it as bragging rights. I will agree it is marketing - but marketing sells cars. McLaren P1 and the Pagani Zonda both have times at the Ring in the non-series/non-road-legal vehicles class. Aston Martin has the AMR Nürburgring Performance Centre adjacent to the Ring as well as a lot of other manufacturers. So obviously someone does give a rats ass other than you.

xfrgtr likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Which motoring journalists- do they even matter?
    Social influencers- do they matter? Do I care what Schmee has to say?
    Certain manufacturers- yes- like I’ve said repeatedly VW group.

Napoli likes this.
  10. 355TDI

355TDI Karting

Feb 1, 2019
    London
    Full Name:
    Immat Wings
    I don’t think Ferrari care and to be honest most Ferrari buyers are not into penus measuring antics like Ring lap times and drag strip dashes when making purchasing decisions. If I want a car for lap times I’ll buy a 488 Challenge car. Simple

Napoli and SoCal to az like this.
  11. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Okay, so motoring journalists and social influencers don't matter. I'm starting to think that thanks to you I'm learning something.

dustman and xfrgtr like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Actually I don’t think you are but that’s ok if you think that people like Schmee matter.

stavura and Ash Patel like this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not a single Ferrari was sold because it had a good or bad ring time. It’s a useless metric. If someone does it great but Ferrari won’t waste its time.

14. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I believe he does matter to Ferrari. He's certainly invited and given access to their vehicles and special events above many others. He must also matter to you in some sort of capacity as well because you are the only one to have brought him up several times not me.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So someone buying a 300k Ferrari f8 or a 450k Pista or a 600k Stradale is going to base their decision on a social media influencer.

Got it.

Rrr1 and 09Scuderia like this.
  16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I think it’s just cool to see cars do the Ring, with a lot of respect now having done a lap myself. It is a great test for a car, massive elevation and speed changes, length, etc. I would argue a religious holy ground even, if you are any sort of petrolhead

That being said I highly doubt Maranello would ever play ball, never been their style and they have Fiorano. You go to them, not the other way around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good lord what a PITA.

18. I doubt Ferrari will.

But I would like to see someone run the Pista on the 'Ring. Just to see what kind of lap time the last non-hybird V8 Ferrari can do.

19. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Never said any of that. Your words and interpretation. In which you are free to do of course.

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    people do care about it and regardless of whether they even drive them on track some like to brag about owning the fastest ring car.

BarryK likes this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This one being'run in' .Pista must be awesome around there.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The ring is so long (about 20 km) there are many opportunities to lose time, resulting in inconsistent lap times unless someone is actually spending a lot of time to set a record lap.
    I think it's far more telling to look at times on shorter tracks achieved by the same drivers in more or less similar conditions.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I only pay attention to track times when my car does well. Then it is a true indicator of speed, handling ability, grip and every other factor you wish to mention. And I feel better in the choice I made.

On the other hand, if the car I own does poorly on that track , it is a meaningless endeavour that proves nothing. There are simply too many variables like was the driver fully sober, constipated, in a bad mood due to his wife discovering his mistress. The weather was humid or excessively dry or too cold or perhaps very warm. Tires.were under or over inflated

Most importantly I do not purchase a car based on track times. There is so much more to a car than how fast it completes the circuit around a track. Options like Apple Play or Homelink and a very high resolution back up camera are certainly more meaningful to the super car ownership experience.

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    I only bought the pista and the sf based on what social media influencers like dumbass brothers, Jake the snake Paul and ****mee say .... don’t you all?

25. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Sport auto did have a hint or something similar in one of their mags with the pista on the Nurburgring. Whether it is what we hope it is or something else, is another matter.