Thinking of Buying a 550 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of Buying a 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Taking this to the extreme, My F355 Challenge was hit numerous times when it raced in the Challenge Series. It even wound up on its roof at Lime Rock Park. When damaged, it was sent to a Factory-authorized coachwork center for repairs and paint and was back on the track for its next scheduled race. My car is five shades of yellow...maybe six.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

niftyfivefifty and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #27 308 GTB, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    It seems that the 30,000 mile rule holds true with most older Ferraris too. Many try to restrict use of their cars to keep under that threshold. When not driven regularly, Ferraris suffer. They like and need to be driven regularly.

When I bought my 550, I purposely bought a car with higher mileage. My car, with routine maintenance, drives perfectly with now over 75,000 miles of use.

3. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That makes a lot of sense. I actually sold my '74 Alfa Spider because I wasn't driving it much after I bought the Porsche. As such, it started to deteriorate. Having grown up around Italian and English cars, it definitely makes sense to make sure they're driven.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    As far as how the 550 drives, it's got more horsepower and torque than you'll ever use in day-to-day city and highway driving. It handles superbly and is quite nimble for a GT car. Indeed, it has an identity crisis and doesn't know if it's a GT or sports car. It's not much larger than my F355 Challenge and is neutrally-balanced by comparison. On the highway, you easily lose sensation of speed and you can get up to 80 mph before you realize it. On a big track like Daytona, I've been able to let it reach its high speed capabilities. It literally takes my breath away when I loosen its reins...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Find one that you like and leave the paint gauge at home. Consider appropriate mileage based on its model year which reflects regular frequent driving. Ask for service records showing regular servicing. Don't let chips and blemishes disturb you. The 550 chips easily. You can put 3M clear stuff on it and it will get chipped beyond the extent of the protective sheet. It'll love taunting you like that. :)

forstephan and NE550 like this.
  5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Most cars will deteriorate if left stagnant and a Ferrari is no exception.

Good luck with your search. This forum can be a great resource for any information you might need.

forstephan likes this.
  6. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I have the mid engine Ferrari itch...so mine is on the market...we will see...no rush...I truly love the 550.

308 GTB likes this.
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yellow's a killer color!

8. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While I understand the appeal of mid-engine Ferraris, they are a dime a dozen (relatively speaking). But a Maranello is a rare sight anywhere and one of the best driving Ferraris from any era. Just my opinion, but I'd hang on to it if I were you. Or maybe at least wait for the market to improve before selling.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  9. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  10. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know exactly how you are going to feel:). I don’t have a favorite. But my nephew came to visit from NY drove all my cars he definitely preferred the 550. 550 turns other people heads 996TTS turns your own head. Neither is for sale.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Tifoso likes this.