Weird hose hanging underneath 812 | FerrariChat

Weird hose hanging underneath 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BLKM3, Jul 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That looks like the front windshield/wiper corner drains. On the F12, they connect to the top of the undertray with a clamp. To check, pour a small amount of water into the plastic corners of the lower windshield and see if it drains out the tubes. If so, check if they should be connected to the topside of the undertray. If it is the windshield drain and they just stick out a hoe in the undertray then I assume they could be cut flush. I'd check with the dealer first though or check out another 812.

3. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Interesting. Mine had the same on collection day. Don’t cut it. The dealer can put it back in place. Will take them five minutes or less.

4. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes my car is brand new and thought it was odd to have this thing sticking out.

I tried tucking it back in myself but with no luck

5. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Dealer bloke said there was small bracket in the under body that it attaches to. Just a rain drain. Don’t cut it though.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, its a drain of some sort. You'd think Ferrari spends all this effort on under car aero and then they have these things sticking out... Almost every Ferrari I've seen has this. As annoying as it is, I would leave it alone.

7. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    That’s classic what a horrid finish

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Looks like it has been cut for aero efficiency. At 200mph bends backwards and channels air under the car for downforce and stability. Rings are carbon fiber and if damaged costs $3700 to replace.
    :)

9. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9 Streetsurfer, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Like a draft tube of old, angle cut to the rear, it will allow vacuum to pull air through the drain channel. My best guess on why cut that way. Angled cut facing forward, it would force air into channel. Cut even it would whistle/ howl.

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    As stated earlier, in the F12 they are shorter and don't protrude below and use a SS pipe clamp on the top side on the underpanel. You see no penetrations from the side view as there is just a hole up underneath. There is no whistle sound and you see a clean under bottom. Not sure why the 812s went with through hole drains cut so long. They unnecessarily hang low. There should be no need to create a draft to empty the front windshield drains as gravity does the job and the final look is neat and unbroken. Maybe there is a fitting that goes up through the panel at that point where the drain can mount above the panel with a clamp.

11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Dude, it's a prolapse of the car's gut due to the car producing too much power! Take it to your surgeon to have it reduced and fixed in place.;)

350MH83 likes this.
  12. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Can someone who has an 812 take a pic of their undercarriage? Wondering if all other cars have the same hose protruding like that.

Thanks

13. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine has it too, its a 2020. I also noticed some of the aero pieces that are supposed to be adhered to the undertray are not adhered well and there's some small pebbles stuck to the adhesive. Only 300 miles on the car. Since it's winter, I'm not going to mess with it until spring.