488 GTB Aircon really like this? | FerrariChat

488 GTB Aircon really like this?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Zynch, Jul 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zynch

Zynch Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    City of San Fernando, Pampanga
    Full Name:
    Aldrine Pallasigui
    Good day to everyone here. This is my first post and I am from the Philippines. I recently bought a 2018 488 GTB, and I love the car, however, I am quite puzzled if this is normal for the ac system.

The knob on the first turn up to the 3rd turn is useless. The air blown is too weak for the setting. Only at max setting (4th turn setting), has really strong air coming out.

When it is on the strongest setting though, it is quite annoying when you're speaking with someone in the car.

Also, when I accelerate, the air becomes weaker and blows stronger again after releasing the gas pedal.

Is this normal? Air is really cold for the low to high settings.

lahhhnose likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Unfortunately, this is not normal. It should work as you would think. I would take it to the dealer and have them fix it. I hope it works out for you.

3. Zynch

Zynch Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldrine Pallasigui
    Thank you for the answer. I will send it to the dealership within the week. I was hoping to see some posts about this here but I don't exactly know what words to search, ac problems I see are of different issues.

Thank you.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My 2018 488 does the same thing. I thought it was normal. Perhaps I too need to have it looked at.

5. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Not sure about the volume with the fan speed setting, are all of your vents open? I usually use Auto mode and frankly, it is one of the best AC systems of any car I've ever owned. Not particularly intrusive and really keeps the car comfortable.

As for the warm on strong acceleration, this is actually normal in most if not all modern cars but especially sports cars as the AC compressor is decoupled with a strong enough throttle load so as to give maximum power/least parasitic drain during acceleration. Then when you are at more moderate throttle levels, the compressor kicks in again. Same goes for auto start stop in most cars too. The AC drops off quite a bit.

jdlegg likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Also have the battery checked. Before my replacement I noticed weird output. Was more concerned about the other error messages lighting up. Gee even the radio started to skip. Now that's a first.

Il Co-Pilota and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Zynch

Zynch Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldrine Pallasigui
    Actually it does not get warm when accelerating, the blower just gets weaker or at least the air coming out of the vents becomes weaker. Same cool air though.

8. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    I have the same issue with my 2018. I also thought this was normal . What I have noticed is in Auto mode it adjusts the flow a bit better and finds a middle ground between 3 and 4

rw99 likes this.
  9. Zynch

Zynch Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldrine Pallasigui
    Then I better start using the AUTO mode from now on. Thanks for the replies.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sounds like the fan circuit has a bad ground...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #11 metaldriver, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Too many unfounded theories on this thread … bad ground in the circuit, have the battery checked, it shouldn’t do that, yada yada yada.

I bought my 458 certified from a dealership and the AC system operated exactly how the OP described. I eventually traded the car for a brand new 488 (no bad circuit grounds, no weak battery, etc.) and the car operates in the same manner.

The dealership technician who works on my cars (he knows how pedantic I can be) explains that is how Ferrari climate control works. Damnit it should work exactly like my Infiniti where the air blows at a constant speed! :rolleyes:

Just like the sound system which Ferrari is known for not excelling at in their otherwise glorious cars, the climate control is not on the same level as other manufacturers. Let’s all hold hands, group hug, deal with it and accept this as a quirk of the Prancing Horse. Has anyone seen a warning icon light for “no reason” just because a particular ECU temporarily freaks out when the expected input voltage is not to the gnat’s ass three places to the right of the decimal point? :D

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't really think about the climate control, I think I made a mistake in my reply before. I just use the auto mode and adjust the desired temperature- and this works very well for me- the temp and fan speeds adjust as requested. I don't think I've tried the manual modes- if at all- so apologies if I gave you bad info.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The OP didn't say climate control. He said 1-3 and then 4 setting. Where did you read it was in climate control ?

Bad battery can do what he said even turn of the unit , it did on mine. Gee the Radio was even skiping , the RADIO not CD. Never have I seen this before

New battery and all perfect

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B

Sounds very much like the symptoms of a bad battery.

LARRYH, MANDALAY and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you want COOL get a Spider. :)

16. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Regardless if the reference is to the fan speed or the temperature setting, together or separately, these are part of the climate control system. Some people use the term “air conditioning” but I like the former.

17. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #17 metaldriver, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    I strongly disagree the battery is at fault, in fact nothing is at fault, because the manner in which the OP describes his car is exactly how Ferrari designed the system to operate in the 458 and 488. I've had more than one conversation about this topic with the FoH technician that works on my cars. Him being factory trained, I am very inclined to believe what he says about a Ferrari is correct.

I bought my 458 certified from FoH and they installed a new battery. I bought my 488 from FoH with forty-four miles on it (obviously with a new battery). Both cars operate in the same manner as the OP’s car.

LagunaSecaMike and rw99 like this.
  18. Zynch

Zynch Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldrine Pallasigui
    Thanks for the reply. This was my initial thought, but I replaced the battery already with a new one and its still doing the same thing.

19. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Had mine in twice for similar A/C issues, ferrari service manager tells me they do a reboot, flush system etc... nothings changed,not giving up yet!its going back to dealer when I get back in town.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Cannot be the battery as the alternator is supplying the load, you might want to consider that the evaporator fan gets its air from the car front intakes- when you put your foot down the air speed increases, as does the air flow through the radiators etc. The evap fan has to draw its air off this increased air flow which is probably more turbulent and may be starved a bit.
    I am not a 458 owner but does the system have a full air recirc and is it any better on that setting- ie it would not be fighting for fan suction ?

21. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I believe you are referring to the condenser.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    No i am not- the evap fan supplies the chilled air to the car interior either using fresh air or recirc of the interior air-the condenser is inline with the engine rads

23. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #23 rocketman, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019

Totally agree
    Ferrari is good at doing things other cars can't do but is inexcusably terrible at doing the very basic things we have come to expect with all other modern cars we own.

24. Sort of like dating a supermodel.

Pure eye candy, but could not make cereal if you gave her the milk and the bowl. A bowl with cereal in it.

rw99 likes this.
  25. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Now that its getting hot here I started using ac on my 2019 I recently bought. Thought I was imagining fan blower going up and down but from reading here that is a normal Ferrari quirk? Getting a little tired of these quirks and has me leaning to going back to a Lamborghini, some great Germany engineering in that car