Cali wheel spacers | FerrariChat

Cali wheel spacers

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chizz, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ive done a search on the forum about wheel spacers but I’m not clear about a few issues. I’ve always done them on my 911s.

1. What is the ideal width front and back.
    2. I imagine new bolts would be necessary
    3. Where did you purchase the spacers/bolts
    4. Who did your installation
    5. Does the Cali Handle as well are there any issues?

In the 911 it is a good thing looks better and adds a tad more stability with wider wheel base.

Thanks guys

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get your spacers from Hill. Proper spacers with steel inserts. They can also advise you as to which bolt length to use.

If you don't want to install them yourself, and reputable and sensible tyre shop can do it. JUST MAKE SURE THEY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH CCM ROTORS AND USE WHEEL HANGERS!!! One wrong knock on the rotor and you will need a new pair for that axle.

It will change how the car drives, and it will also put an additional load on your hub bearings and your ball joints.

If will soften the ride, as you move the loading point away from the pivot point. It basically makes the suspension act as if the car was heavier.

If you add wider spacers in the rear, you will induce understeer. If you want to keep the car feeling as precise and agile as it is now, or at least as close to, use the same width spacers in all four corners. In this case, 11mm is pretty much your limit from what I have personally seen.
    If you don't mind the understeer and mainly use your car as a GT cruiser, go with 11/15mm to get them all the way out.
    Yes you can get away with 15/20mm but nkt only do you run the risk of rubbing, your paint will be shot to **** from all the rocks and dirt the tyres will fling up the side of the car.
    This is something a lot of people "fkrget" to men to mention after they have installed those nice new low offset wide wheels or thick spacers.

Can't say I'm a huge fan, but if you want to do it, do it right. Choose Hill spacers and bolts.

4th_gear, Chizz and tomc like this.
  5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Another option is new aftermarket wheels with proper offset built in.

4th_gear, BOKE and Chizz like this.
  6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Once again I ask why would you want to do this. Is there something visually you do not like about your car?

BOKE likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A lot of people like having their wheels flush mounted. It's no different than getting the 21/22 combo etc. It's about cosmetics, not performance.

Not much of a "why", it's just how it is.

Chizz likes this.
  8. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ok I have caught enough crap from Marc (BOKE) about this.
    So.... I have always done this for my 911s. It gives them a more aggressive stance and looks great on those cars. And I believe it handles a bit better.

I LOVE my Cali!!!! I did see one with spacers and I liked the look. I was simply collecting info in case I decided to do it.

The longer I have it the more I love it and the less I want to mod it. And quite frankly I’m nervous about doing anything that could cause any issues

BOKE likes this.
  9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    It’s like people who want to lower the car. I personally don’t like that look but if that works for them... go for it and enjoy!

BOKE likes this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Hey, Adam @Fireman1291 !!!

Dr. Chizz thinks he caught enough crap from me. Tell him what catching crap from me is REALLY like.:D:D:D

Chizz likes this.
  11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I mean no offence, but I like to understand the reasons people do things. I tend to only make changes that make the car perform my purpose for it better, and that is never about cosmetics.

Chizz and BOKE like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think any offens has been taken.
    There are several ways you can change your car to "perform" better. Perform better is not the same as going around a turn faster, stopper faster, or accelerating faster. It can apply to lots of various tasks. For some, perform better means ride more subtle, which spacers will help. For others, installing stiffer springs that also lowers the car is a way to enhance performance. If performing better means ride smoother as a GT, that's not the same as perform better as a stiff canyon carver.

For some changing the looks also has to do with what one wants from the car. In this case, the owner gets a different feeling when he or she looks at the car, thus it performs a specific task better. The task is just not turning better etc.

It's no different than what you do. You change the car so that it meets some personal and specific criteria that suits your style of driving and/or the visual statement you wish the car to be.

The only time I get truly confused, is when someone make a change in order to achieve a performance goal, but what they do will inevitably result in the complete opposite.

Chizz likes this.
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay I can see that would make sense to some people, but I see no use for anything that is strictly cosmetic, but I see how it would matter to others here, so in future I will not comment. I guess I am the strange one, I have 100 pages of designs, and have things made (sometimes a dozen or more times), plus my test runs, for most of the things I do. But it keeps my mind occupied, and that is why I never stop changing things.

BOKE and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  14. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    No you really shouldn’t take it that way. I think your input is quite invaluable. You really made me think about what I should do. However, cosmetics is what probably drives a lot of people to the brand so undeniably it is important. So if adding carbon fiber, changing caliper color, widening the tires, etc. gives someone that little extra “feel good” then that’s an awesome thing. It’s like marrying a beautiful woman (which I am assuming most of us did) when she adds some cosmetics it pushes her over the top!!!

Carnut and Il Co-Pilota like this.