Brake Caliper Color | FerrariChat

Brake Caliper Color

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Vincent Lehmann, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vincent Lehmann

BANNED

Oct 4, 2018
    Paris
    Hi guys,

Just bought an F12 with yellow brake calipers and I am keen on painting them silver; or as Ferrari call them ‘Alluminio’.

In order to achieve the original look, I have to ensure that the color matches the stock silver and more importantly have to add the ‘Brembo Carbon Ceramic’ decal/vinyl to the calipers.

As we all know, Ferrari does not hand out the color codes of their wheels nor calipers. On previous threads, the color of Alluminio was determined to being either Argento Nürburgring or Argento Metallizato. If anyone has specifics, please let me know.

Furthermore, does anyone have insight into the decals/vinyls? Are they painted on using a stencil? Or are they stickers that are simply laminated using a heat resistant coating?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Best regards from Switzerland
    V
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My TDF is painted in Aluminio Opaco. It is it’s own colour, not an Argento. Those calipers appear very similar.

3. TransientWolf

TransientWolf Rookie

Mar 15, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Darren Jones-Molyneux
    Looks awesome in yellow. Matches the SF shields. Same as mine with yellow stitching on Daytona seats inside, yellow seat belts and yellow tacho. (Tho have the carbon centre caps).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Alexcle and otakki like this.
  4. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    otakki likes this.
  5. Vincent Lehmann

BANNED

Oct 4, 2018
    Paris
    Yes - certainly! They look great in yellow and match the shields. However, I am trying to transform this F12 from the boring/everyday spec to a true gentleman's car.

Therefor, I will remove the shields, replace the yellow wheel centre caps to black and paint the brakes silver.

Simply put, IMO, V12s should never be in noisy colors (red, yellow etc.) and should not have shields.

Anyway, these are all personal preferences.

Best regards

-K1-, Boomhauer and Garretto like this.
  6. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I don't think they use body color on the calipers. You can find a reputable shop to match it, it should come out very close. Just make sure they gonna use high temperature paint.

7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn’t think you could remove the shields as there is a shield-shaped depression that the shields sit in. As an option, they can be painted on ... also not removable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

migg48 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you want to remove the shields, you need new panels. Your dealer can get those.

While I'm not 100% sure, I actually think the alu coloured calipers are just the alu calipers with clear on top.

Friend of mine who has tracked his 488 a lot, "had" the alu coloured calipers, and due to the heat, they are now "gold". This in the exact same way raw and unpainted alu brake calipers change colour due to heat.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Pretty sure he could swap them for carbon shields if he wanted to go less bright colored and not swap the fenders. If he's spending cash in swapping fenders, then may as well buy new calipers from Ferrari as well vs. trying to repaint the yellow ones.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Surely a competent body shop could fill the indentations where the shields sit and re-spray ?

11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    No one would buy an F12 with filler in the wings/fenders. Well. I wouldn’t.

Better to get new panels then, if @Vincent Lehmann were to sell, he could give new buyer the old panels with the shields so new would-be owner has a choice. Improve sale prospects rather than limit them.

635CSI and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    On a gloss black car? Chances of that turning out well is slim to none, and it will involve removing the panels as well as refinishing the whole panel to get a smooth surface. It is almost impossible not to get a line where the filler meets the edge if the entire panel is not covered and sanded down.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think they would cut a piece of metal to match shields then weld it in place sand down ..light filler and than paint probably while panel .. a good shop would do that and not fill in the whole thing with filler ... Maybe costly though

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

14. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I would keep the car the way it is. The amount of money that would be spent on doing all the mods, I would take in the depreciation in putting some miles on the car. The car looks awesome the way it is!!!! But then, that’s just my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Beware painting calipers. Caliper painting is the one job that sounds easy but isn't. Too many paints will just spray the entire caliper indiscriminately. This isn't a skill issue, but moreso an attention to detail.

The simple rule is, if a part of the caliper didn't have paint on it from factory, it should not have paint on it once the caliper has been re-sprayed. Take a look at the painter's previous caliper work and see if he takes his time to cover up screws, pins, etc or if he just paints everything.

See example below of a bad caliper paint job on a 458 Speciale (the parking caliper and rubber stoppers have been painted when they should not be):
    https://xyqy1138toa1b0can32ggqr7-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Ferrari-458-Speciale-with-HRE-Classic-305-Wheels-11-2000x1334.jpg

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Oh I don't know. people buy 250 GTOs full of filler !
    Seriously though, posting in the F Chat classifieds for a panel swap might be the way forward ?
    If not as mentioned above, discreet carbon shields on a black car with carbon center caps and sliver calipers would be visually consistent and attractive.

cwall likes this.
  17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Good point. If means allowed, I would buy a 250 GTO or 250 SWB full of filler. And wouldn’t be worried about prior crashes in a race. But would not touch an F12 or 812 with an ounce or gram of it.

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I thought those aerobridges where the shields sit are easily swapped out. Just get a new pair of aerobridges and swapped them whenever you feel like it.

Another option is to have the darkest window tinting film placed over the shields. I have seen them done and thought they look pretty good, too.

350MH83, 635CSI, R J and 1 other person like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You are in fact correct. I forgot that. De-shielding an F12 is in fact easy and "cheap" compared to the others. New bridges and that's it.

ScottS likes this.
  20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ah yes, a big Doh ! for all of us who forgot that :p

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. Vincent Lehmann

BANNED

Oct 4, 2018
    Paris
    Hi guys,

I appreciate everyones feedback and comments.

As everyone has suggested, I have now ordered new original aerobridges without shields and will keep the aerobridges with the shields on the side for resale.
    With regards to the calipers, a professional wrap shop is producing the decals for me, which will be applied to the brake after it has been painted in aluminium.

The decals/vinyl will be applied and then repainted using a clear coat so it won't fall off due to heat.

In the meantime I have also decided to paint the rear and front bumpers as well as the sides that are grey matt to black matt.
    Again, a minor detail, however in the sun with the body color being black, the grey matt looks ugly IMO.

The F12/FF/458 generation used a dark grey matt where as the new generation 488/GTC/812 etc. use a black matt.
    See photos... (F12 vs. GTC)

Once everything has been completed, I will post a photo for those who are interested.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and cwall like this.
  22. Matt L

Matt L Karting

Oct 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Matt

Do you have photos of the finished car? Especially the wheels/callipers.

23. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Having mine repainted any suggestions on where to source decals, FF ceramics.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have the alloy coloured calipers on my 488. It is not a colour, it is just clear over aluminium. Not entirely sure which colour would be the closest. Probably Alumino Lucido or what ever it is called. There's of course also grigio alloy. But to get the Ferrari aluminium colour, you'd need to strip them, brush polish them and clear them. The downside is that when they get hot the metal changes colour, permanently. After a few track days my calipers are a bitchin' shade of golden rainbow lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I think the 488 must be different to the FF as mine are definitely painted. They’re the same colour as the alloy wheels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login