Here's a 328 you haven't seen before! | FerrariChat

Here's a 328 you haven't seen before!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bob Zambelli, Jul 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Definitely different.

f1lupo likes this.
  2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #2 Rosey, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    The front somehow reminds me of either a frog or platypus.

jcurry likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Bob...

Interesting indeed, but already seen a lot of times! This car is very famous and has been seen on dozen of topics, including a recent thread on this very forum, by her new owner, after having been sold at an auction. It made the news already in her days, back then. It is chassis #80962, originally sold new in Germany as a standard 328 GTS (Rosso Corsa / Crema leather / Nero carpets).

Rgds

308 milano and Rosey like this.
  4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Nerofer - sorry about the repost but I rarely visit this site and I had no knowledge of previous posts.

Bob Z.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No harm done, Bob...this car is fairly well known, especially in Europe, as it was widely publicised in its days. And here is the post I was taking about, on this very forum, where it is described in great details, after the auction:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/sn-80962-ferrari-328-conciso-show-car.582901/

Rgds

6. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Albert-LP, Rosey and f1lupo like this.
  7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I have done some reading up on the car. I guess I'm going to make this another Glickenhaus arguement... He eventually got the blessing of Ferrari to have it be designated an official model. In the Jay Leno video, Jay alludes that this was done with the Concisco and the owner does not disagree. However, in none of the previous posts about this car do I see that Ferrari never factory sanctioned the car. Hence, if the factory requested the badges to be removed (with the backing of its legal might), they probably should be... I am not saying the bones of the car are not Ferrari and the owner can't call it his Ferrari, however it would go down as an owner / designer special one off and not in the factory files. It does not carry the provenance of say, Mythos, from the same period.

There's difference is calling it a one off custom Ferrari versus a customized Ferrari post sale.

I am all for customizing a car. I've modified my car and I plan on modifying it more.

If there was an update that I missed, please let me know...

Rosey likes this.
  8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As far as I remember, so with all due precaution here, but the period fliers advertising it that can be found on E-Bay do support this, the "Ferrari" name was never mentionned in 1993; it was called a "Conciso" by Michalak, that's all.
    Can't see any badge or "Ferrari" script in the pictures in this description for the auction either?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/19964/check-out-this-strange-one-off-ferrari-conciso-concept-going-to-auction

Rgds

9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Such a cool car. The profile reminds me of a Lotus Elan from the same era. Sounds a hell of a lot better than an Isuzu-sourced engine! ;)

sltillim likes this.
  10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Totally saw that too! Stubby little wedge. I used to have one of those - less the quality a great little car.

11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Some Ferrari badges when I saw it on this car in 2015 at Spa Francochamps, Belgium but they should be add after 1993 by the owner
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Still hate it.

13. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    wow cool at first it looked like another kit car but man a one off 328GTS approved by Ferrari !
    Thanks for posting

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agreed, it was built he says but the coachbuilders that now do work for Ferrari Classiche department and it seems that is the only Ferrari link as well and the chassis and engine.
    It can hardly me mentioned in the same breath as Ferrari's one off Special Projects department that gave birth so such cars as the F12 TRS or the SP 12 EC.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, it has never been formally "approved" by the factory, as far as I know.
    As I wrote above, when it was built in 1993, it was called a "Conciso" by Michalak: the "Ferrari" script, name or badge were never displayed on it. Nor were any of these displayed on the car when it was auctionned one year ago.
    Of course, it is more glamorous to put badges and script onto it, and in so doing suggest that it has been approved by Ferrari "somehow", but as far as I know, it has never been the case.
    It is a Ferrari 328 GTS modified into "something else" by a coachbuilder, that's all.

Rgds

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct !!
    Let's just say there will never be a red folder to go with the car. :)

Albert-LP likes this.
  17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Crowndog likes this.
  18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    'nuff said.

Best from Germany
    Martin

19. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #19 johnhoughtaling, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Hi Guys

Here is the Thread about the Conciso that I started after Franco and I bought it. While she looks different in the flesh, and the design truly “makes sense when you sit upon the cockpit, it’s a love it or hate it design for sure. I obviously love it and feel sure thankful to own it, I can understand people who don’t like it at all.

I can tell you she’s a blast to drive!! It’s interesting to drive back to back with the 89 328GTB I’ve owned and worshiped for more than 22 years. Everything is identical to an 1989 328 GTB except the rebody by Bacchelli & Villa.

As I stated in the thread, no it was never endorsed by Ferrari and Franco called me mortified right after shooting explaining he was embarrassed and shy to correct Jay on the air. We called the editors to explain and were told this would cut that out but it remained. I was very disappointed and upset as for me it flubbed IMHO the otherwise great job Franco and Jay did with the car.

Anyway More history we’ve uncovered on the car since purchase in the thread, and the commissioning of Bacchelli & Villa in its creation.

, Hope you enjoy:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/index.php?threads/One-off-Ferrari-328-Conciso.583362/

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

bertrand328 likes this.
  20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I don't want to beat down on Franco as he seems like a really nice guy who loves his car which is great. But to say that he didn't want to correct Jay on air may hold water but he also added his own take on reality by saying towards the end of the video ..."it's a true Ferrari through and through" . That might be stretching the truth a little on his behalf too.

Can I ask, when did the Ferrari badges get added to the car?

21. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #21 johnhoughtaling, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    ="Rosey, post: 146728784, member: 186634"]I don't want to beat down on Franco as he seems like a really nice guy who loves his car which is great. But to say that he didn't want to correct Jay on air may hold water but he also added his own take on reality by saying towards the end of the video ..."it's a true Ferrari through and through" . That might be stretching the truth a little on his behalf too.

Can I ask, when did the Ferrari badges get added to the car?[/QUOTE]

Franco called me right after the filming and was pretty panicked about not wanting to correct Jay on air. Franco has been my best friend for 25 years, and I could tell he was upset as I was. Of course it was not endorsed by Ferrari. I was with Franco when he was corresponding with the editor who assured him and I this would be corrected in editing. I think as it is it takes away from a really cool video of a car I really think is cool.

As to whether you think it’s a Ferrari rebody is no longer a Ferrari anymore is a matter of anyone’s view and that’s ok. This is a 1989 Ferrari 328 that was rebodied by Bacchelli and Villa. Nothing more nothing less.

As for emblems. When it debuted as a Concept car at the Geneva and Frankfurt with the emblem on the steering wheel. After that emblems were on the car as far as we can tell from 1995. The car was sold with the emblems that were taken off (and blacked out for photos.

Rosey likes this.
  22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    For confirmation one can travel to Italy with it. If it wont' be seized by the authorities, it is still a Ferrari. Replicas will be seized and scrapped. Rebodies depend on individual judgement.
    But it seems, that the factory hates rebodies, which they didn't commission themselves, even more than cheap replicas.

Best from Germany
    Martin

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Good test indeed, and what is better than a trip to Italy?
    But you would have to avoid driving thru France, not road legal here: windscreen too low, no front registration plate, etc, etc...

Rgds

24. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Yes we had the good fortune of driving it through Italy and shipping it out of Italy. It’s obviously not a replica. It’s a Ferrari 328 rebodied by Bacchelli and Villa. Like I said, nothing more nothing less.

And I know the rebody is very controversial. People who have seen it in person love it or hate it. I actually really like things that have this type of strong reaction in people. I have art and a Beach house that is crazy. People absolutely hate it or absolutely love it. Th. I really like reading the comments to the video. One person trashing and insulting it and the next thinking it’s absolutely beautiful. I think that’s so fun.

As for driving, well it’s really amazing. I use a 1989 as an occasional daily driver for the last 23 years and I love the way it drives. This wth 800 pounds removed is really fun.

The design with the low curved front and black wheels makes complete sense only when you are behind the wheel. You have a “oh that’s why!” moment

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    that thing it's not a Ferrari: the owner shoud remove the Ferrari badges and emblems quickly, as here in Maranello they are very rough and severe with fake cars.

You can modify your Ferrari and transform it even into a lawn mover, but you have to take out the badges and emblems.

ciao