360 - 360 F1 Failure fix 25.00 part | FerrariChat

360 360 F1 Failure fix 25.00 part

Discussion in '360/430' started by RANDY6005, Jul 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I was stop at a red light, I put my 360 in too neutral as usual light change green went to shift in to first nothing at all even the reverse would not work . I had to push it threw the intersection to the side of the road cut off the car and restarted it still would not go in to gear. I was pressing the brake pedal as hard as I could still no luck, about the time I was going to give and call a tow truck it went in to first gear and shifted fine . Went to back it in my garage stop shifting again. I had no warning lights at all so I spent the whole day on Google and Fchat I found that it maybe just a brake light switch. So I pulled out the brake light switch from behind the brake pedal and pull out black plunger button on the switch put it back in and the started shifting in to gears again . So I bought a new brake light from the local Maserati dealer same part number for Ferrari for 25.00.. I still can not believe all that problem from a simple switch. On the bright side of things I was very lucky that was all . Hope this helps some one in the future

Raconteur, ShadowLAP and pilotoCS like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hope that is the real solution.

On other brand cars, those seem to be the symptoms of low clutch fluid, not something electrical.

3. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    So, this brings up a question concerning Scud ING LED lights. One of the features of their LED brake light kits is elimination of this "safety feature" which prevents you from shifting if you have a brake lamp out. I would assume this is bypassing the feature at the rear harness but what if the signal never gets to the lamps?

Might have to try it and see....later, much later. Too friggin' hot right now....Heat index is around 106, so I figure sometime around, say midnight, I'll be able to check it out....

4. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Just to clarify, you did not buy an actual brake LIGHT...but the brake light SWITCH that goes near the brake pedal?

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I asked my tech at FOA about whether a failed brake light bulb would disabling shifting. He said it would not. I recently replaced my switch. The switch has been redesigned and improved.

6. becir1

becir1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2008
    Germany
    Just for info.
    I have a built in 2003 F360 F1 and have a Challenge Stradale Tcu installed, I have a test carried out if I can still shift the gears when a light bulb is defective.
    I installed a broken light bulb one after another on the brake lights, and then with each test, shifts the gears it always worked. What surprised me very much, because it is said again and again that if a lamp is defective that you can not get any gear.
    Probably Magneti Marelli has turned off the problem from the 2003 model.
    If a light bulb is broken you can still switch without problems. It is only displayed no error in the speedometer, you do not notice that a light bulb is defective.

7. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I recently had the right rear bulb go out on my 2003 360 Spider. I had no idea that it was not working. I was caravaning to a Ferrari Club of America event and one of my caravan partners noticed it. Luckily, we were going to an event at a dealer so the fix was easy (and free).

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    brookliner7 likes this.
  9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    brookliner7, becir1 and kes7u like this.
  10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    When I wrote this post, I was fully aware that the subject matter from the OP was related to the switch and not the bulbs. The only reason I mentioned the brake light bulbs was to question how the "fail safe" works on the early cars, which has been documented in this forum and through some of the aftermarket companies, that a brake lamp bulb failure will result in a similar condition. I did search for the original post but was unable to find it when I needed it. So, with that being said, I apologize if I confused the matter....just trying to find out how the system operates is all.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  11. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Please no apologize needed Ghostdiver I just wanted to make sure that if any one else has this issue that they can fix it and know where to look for parts. I have always enjoyed your post sir.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Just a little note on the brake light switch failure. If you can get your car going about 2 MPH, the F1 transmission will shift into gear from neutral without depressing the brake pedal. Just an FYI.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No worry Randy...just wanted to be sure to catch the train before it ran away down that other track!

14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Been through this before when my car h F1.

Almost any electrical component for the braking system that fails can cause the F1 system to go dumb. Brake switch, brake fuse and the list goes on.

Funny enough, I remember I would keep a spare 10amp brake fuse, brake bulb, brake switch and more in my toolbox so I don't get stranded when F1 goes dumb due to brake component issues. :eek:

15. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Drestless did it leave you stranded any where ? and how did you find out what was wrong ?

16. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Yup, several times. Couple times in the middle of the road, one time it was past midnight at a blind spot curve. Was very dangerous.

I just try to troubleshoot it on the side of the road, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do instead of waiting for a tow truck for an hour or so. Plus chances of getting my front bumper scratched up if they don't know what their doing.

For example, I know my F1 system won't go in gear due to a bad brake bulb if only one side of the brake lights are working. If both brake lights doesn't work then I go up to the brake switch. If I can bypass it (using a metal clip) and F1 starts to work I then swap it with a good spare brake switch I kept as spare before. You don't want to leave the pin in there or else the brakes will stop your car from moving. :D If bypassing the switch doesn't work then I just swap the brake fuse which is most likely the culprit if not the bulb or switch.

I highly recommend having at least these three brake components in your toolbox if you have an F1 system; brake bulb (if you don't have the Scudding bulb bypass module), brake fuse and brake switch. These are the typical brake components that could break and cause F1 not to go in gear.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  17. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    billy.gif and Dbacr like this.
  18. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003