Bue, Bye 355? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Bue, Bye 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Going to take a look at one of these 8/7. Will report back.

2. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I just posted on the thread about the C8 that it's all individual and what you care about is what you should go with. To me, the 355 is simply one of the best sounding cars ever made. There are many short comings, but this makes up for quite literally all of them. To me. If not to you, then there you go.

The C8 looks awesome. It's gonna be hands down one of the most capable sports cars for the money ever made. Taking a bite of that can't be a bad thing. It's not for me, but life is short, and you will never look back and think that it was a bad idea, even if it sucks. Which it won't.

Challenge and Wsmatau like this.
  4. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    This is part of the reason the new GT350 has gotten as much praise as it has. The Mustang GT will post better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, but the sound and handling when you're in the car makes it an easy choice over a GT, Camaro or even lower level Vette. The complete experience for the driver often is greater than the sum of it's parts.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #80 kenneyd, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    I would buy a c8, but I would wait for a GS or Z06 model. I think they are pretty impressive and I like the direction they are going.
    I've had a lot of high HP cars, some over 700hp. They were all "scary fast", you could break the tire lose in 4th gear on the highway.
    The 355 is what I call "fun fast". It provides a great overall experience, The sound, the shifter, the feel, the handling, the thrill of 8500rpm. Taking all those things into consideration, its a great car and provides a very high level of joy and satisfaction to me. I bought the 355, for me because I liked it and I wanted it.. I never asked someone else if they liked it before i purchased it, why would i care?

JohnK has on several occasions said he, "never pushes his car" "rarely goes past 6k rpm"
    You dont like the looks, you hate the sound, You're arguably the most critical owner here as well as the bear on ever value discussion...
    I am by no means trying to be condescending, Im just saying maybe it is a good idea to sell and get something you actually enjoy. Life's short

mclaudio, INTMD8, PhilB and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I am getting a C8 Z51 as well at some point next Year.
    But I sold my C7 this year to make Room for the C8.
    I am loving the poop outta my 355, possibly even more than my F1 430 & C7
    The Reason is the 430 & C7 I was already in "Give me a Ticket Mode" so Quickly & I'm off the Gas......
    My C2 & C3 are both Close Ratio 4 Speeds, but the Gated Shifter with a Screaming Tubi w/HyperFlow Cats on the 355 has me just loving this Car. Of Course it is New to Me this Year, so perhaps that'll wear off???

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I never have and never will buy a car because of the way it sounds. I might NOT by a car because of the way is DOESN'T sound (i.e. electric).

No, you are not entirely correct. True, I don't push the car. With a Tubi and being a spider it just too loud and high pitched for my tinnitus. And I don't hate the looks, over all. Just not a fan of the "All in the family" generic Ferrari front end treatment. And I would argue that w/o the door scoops the car loses it's iconic style. I never said I don't like the car, just that I'm presently bored a little with it and I want to take a look at the C8. Truth is I've never been a Corvette fan, but the C8 is worth checking out. As you said, I'm not asking anyone permission regarding what I may or may not do. I could turn around tomorrow and say the C8 doesn't do it for me and buy a second F355 in GTS, F1 format. (That will get me an email from Dave Rocks if anything will. :D)

And my bearish discussion on values when the market was peaking was on the money, wasn't it. Actually I wasn't really bearish, just realistic. Garage Queens with under 5k ,iles were selling for 100k+ and Chatters were all, it won't last long at that price for average cars priced in the 90's. Anyone want to deny that things have cooled off considerably since then?

Anyway, I can take the heat. The point of this thread was to stimulate discussion and that it has done.

Image Unavailable, Please Login A little humor here. :)

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The 355 resale is actuay due to the 355 problems. The c8 will probably further hurt it and the 360 most likley the 430 too. Any prospective buyer googling Ferrari 355 problem or failure will be rewarded by many threads. The forum is great and an amazing resource but so much information is double edged.

Reminds me of married with children. Peg says to Al, "do these pants make me look fat?" And Al says " aww peg it's the pants that make you look, it's the fat that makes you look fat"

"Aww fchat, it's not John it's the car"

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree. Before my first F355 I had bought a new C6 Z06 then a year later it was 1200hp with turbos. The car was actually more fun stock as I could drift it on off ramps and stay wide open throttle for at least a few seconds before I was doing 150+.

I want to be involved but I don't want 98% of my concentration focused on not crashing every time I'm on the throttle.

100% love everything about the F355 as a sports car. It is absolutely perfect for me.

There's a lot more going on with the design than just side scoops (and of course the radiators need air anyway).

'355 resale is because of 355 problems'.....sure it has some. So does any other 25 year old sports car. I've mentioned it before but as good as 993's are they are also very expensive to sort if you buy a neglected example. (and yet they still sell for more than F355's despite a huge gap in performance).

John as for your car being too loud with a Tubi, would it not be easy to just install a stock muffler?

I can't see how the C8 will have any relevance at all to F355 values. There have always been a cheaper faster alternative to the F355 in the form of a Corvette from C5 Z06 and onward.

I've never heard anyone say the biggest reason they wanted an F355 is because it's mid engine.

If I'm wrong, great! C8 devalues your average F355 to 30K and I buy a few more of them :)

Robb likes this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I met John a year or so ago and saw his F355 spider. He and the car are both good to go. We are all type A personalities here and know what we know and why... and most of us want the damn kids off our lawn :D we don’t have a lot of time for those in different camps. Not enough time here on the palate to worry you or slow you down. So full speed ahead I say with what makes you happy.

But I remember the day I got my yellow F355 berlinetta - I told my mechanic, “I’ll never sell it... what a great car.” And it was / is.

He said, “everyone says that but life has a funny way of throwing out alternatives - and we simply get older and evolve our likes....”

He loves the F355 also. He was right, I ended up selling that yellow car 5 or 6 years later. Still miss it to this day. But I sold it primarily to find my favorite version or spec (color) of the same car. Now that I have it, I’d likely not sell it. Although we all have to remember the mechanic’s advice over and over.

If we all had a car budget for 10 cars, then we’d likely just add another every few years and keep enjoying the attributes of the ones we have. But realistically, most owners can really only spring for one special car because of garage space, pressure from the spouse, maintenance, time to actually drive, dollars to spend, and overall changes to what makes you happy.

There are many owners here (even in this thread) that have bought a 355, then sold it, tried a different marque or model... and then end up buying another 355. Even after faster cars, or cars with less fuss.

Read both of these:

“There’s simply not that many cars in the price bracket that can do what the 355 can do and that you can enjoy all the intangibles.”

“There’s simply not that many cars in the price bracket that can do what the C8 corvette can do and that you can enjoy all the intangibles.”

Both my true statements. Although different intangibles or skill sets. Both cool cars.

No real wrong answer.

My take is car enthusiasts should have that one Ferrari in the garage.

Would you rather have one Ferrari and other experiences or a garage full of two, maybe three or more Ferrari’s? If you had the money, only you know the answer and combination. But if you don’t have a Ferrari and just get a C8, I think you’ll miss the f-car “intangibles”. And you’ll be back with a bit of money lost in depreciation. John of course won’t have that issue because he has that 308 gtb to enjoy.

Robb

baschul likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Of those three other cars sharing similar characteristics to the 355 nose, what you don’t see in that is the dramatic difference in the other angles that look nothing alike, the interior room or fit, which are nothing alike, the sound from their engines which are nothing alike, and the overall driving feel - which are nothing alike.

I have never seen a Mazda Miata and said that it sours my 355 experience in any way at all. Like comparing apples and tofu.

Robb

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Robb and ShineKen like this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What I want to know is, what is Johnk gonna buy after he cashes in on 7% APR 30-year T-notes!?

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I know those other cars well. Friends own them. It's not about what else the cars are, just the family affair front end they share. The TR was introduced in 1984 and the front did undergo some evolution. First it was redesigned to keep the resemblance to the 348 as the TR512. Then the 512M and 355. And from the side, everything in front of the windshield is pretty similar too. Not a lot of creativity for what were supposed to be iconic cars. Same can be said for the interior. It's just kind of a left over. I've never heard anyone look at a 355 and say, WOW, look at that interior. It's as they say, necessary and sufficient. Another point that could be made is the rear is kind of plane Jane. My car has a challenge grill. I wanted a car with a challenge grill because it's an improvement in the appearance. I'm betting most people add the challenge grill for appearance, not performance or cooling. Am I right? Same with people changing the front parking light to euro style in the US. So people are changing things on these cars because they don't like the appearance. So don't fault me because I come out and say exactly what I don't like. Another thing that I never really liked, though it's neither here not there, was the transition to steel stamped, bolt on fenders and uni-body. Certainly a needed transition to a more modern car. But on the 308 (and 328) the entire front clip is a single piece, welded to the tubular chassis. Last of the truly hand fitted and hand built mid engine V8 cars.

I think people focus too much on performance and don't really understand how special the 308 is. 355 is a great, but modern, or transitional car, with some features I don't like. That shouldn't be to hard to wrap your head around. But the 308 is a totally different kind of beast that was the last of a breed, a mark in time. Ferrari as Ferrari was, not as it is today. That is why I would keep the 308 over the 355.

Nursing home. :)

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have one. Just need to get around to putting it on.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Certainly worth a try, it's an easy job.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Think my wife may be getting one, Chevy has offered big bucks for here camaro as trade .
    Just need to find a bizarre color and zero interest and she will do it.
    Every Time we went to porsche the price of a GT3 went up 10 k each visit she told them where to go and what to do when they get there was funny to see.

18. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I keep reminding myself to check in here more often but I never do. When I manage to get on, I find a drama just unfolded. I have to admit it’s entertaining. But instead of reading every post to find the plot, I’ll add to the drama. That’s what we all crave.

It appears John is going through a second midlife crisis. Indecision is crying out for answers. Let see if I get this right. So John you’re contemplating selling the most prized car in your possession. On one hand you want to cash out the profit on your 355 and buy something new and “more bang for the buck” because you come to believe the 355 value has topped out. With the new “bang for the buck” comes the ooohs and ahhhs and new friends. On the other hand you believe there’s a small chance the 355 might hit 500k so you want to hold on to it longer. But you can’t really enjoy it because you don’t want to add too many miles. So you throw out negative innuendos about the 355 seeking supports for selling it so you do t feel guilty. You put yourself in a touch spot friend we haven’t met. Let see if I can help you made the decision.

After you purchase your new “bang for the buck” car, there will be joy. A lot of ohhhs and ahhhs. You will make many friends. Then it floods the market. Everyone has one and yours no longer special. The ohhhs and ahhhs go away. It’s just another dime a dozen. Withdrawal, paranoia sets in. You become an introvert spending many hours in your basement. This will happen to you if you choose the former. But if you decide on the latter, you have to zip those big lips because every word impedes your hope. ‍♂️

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow your making quite a lot of assumptions is that post. I think Dr. Phil would call it projecting.
    A) Oddly 355 get defensive when posts do not back the 355 being the greatest automotive creation of all time.
    B) Your post reads as if your personally offended.
    C) The list is long with problems in your rambling post. Where are you getting this stuff? Because it was definitely not in this post.

The 355 is amazing and desirable, at lest for a short period. It has been bought and sold tens of thousands of times. Not everyone gets buried in it so it seems. Ever consider all the sellers over time felt it was not worth keeping also?

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, I still plan to take a good look at the C8 next week but this weekend was a wakeup call. Jeanne and I went out for a drive in the 355. Seems we kept encountering Corvettes going in the other direction, 1, 2, 3, ......, 10, 11.... They were all over the place, like mosquitoes in a swamp. We stopped for lunch at one of our usual spots. After lunch we started home. As we approached an intersection, 2 more Corvettes wait on the cross street. About a mile on there was some kind of traffic snarl. A number of car were pulling over for some reason. As we reached the spot it turned out to be a dozen or more Corvettes that had pulled over, apparently waiting for the other 2 caught at the light back at the intersection. I looked at Jeanne and said, "I guess I'm not getting a C8. No way I want to be part of that." So on the day, Corvettes sighted, 20+, Ferrairs, 1, and I was in it. I think I'll keep it that way.

tatry68 likes this.
  23. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So even before going out youn knew vettes were not exclusive they are almost as common as mustangs. Plus Vette driver's are.. well you supply the adjective.

Funny thing is every Vette you saw is a dinasaur and every C8 driver will gloat at pre c8s and all pre c8 driver's will roll over like an Omega if a c8 rolls up. C7 prices will crater they always have with American cars when new models roll out I see no reason c7 is different. Vettes are the American weiner ruler.

Ferraris are special that regard older ones are still awesome.

The c8 is awesome but it's still a vette and that represents something that is the antithesis of a Ferrari, any Ferrari in my mind at least.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #99 johnk..., Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Still hasn't changed the fact that I'm not sure what I want to do with the 355. Just take the C8 off the table.

Antithesis? Sure. GM to Ferrari, "I'll see you 488 and kick your butt for 1/5the price. And don't even bother to try to compete with me on the track"

Like I said before. I've never been a Corvette fan, but I have respect for that they have done in IMSA and this car deserved(s) looking at even if I have decided it's not for me. I'll still give them a chance to change my mind, though that's unlikely.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I figured. Used R8 or 06+ Gallardo or one of the 911offerings. 84-14 or so is a big range with lots of options cartera, 4s, a, turbo, can etc...

I really like the late mondial T's just throwing that out there.