Matching numbers | FerrariChat

Matching numbers

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jkstevens2, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Dear Gents,

I have a 1986 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 that is having an engine out service with serious attention to the valves rings etc and I am interested to know if there is there such a thing as matching numbers with a Ferrari. I hear this being talked about with all the corvettes and late model american muscle cars but wondered does this apply to Ferrari.

When I did a timing belt change I did see the engine number plate with what looked like a engine builders designation code (almost like a signature) but I did not think to compare this with the chasis number plate inside the driver door.

Any knowledge or help would be appreciated.

2. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    No 'matching numbers' with our cars as with the classics where chassis- and engine number are the same.
    However, the different chassis-, engine- and gearbox numbers are registered at Ferrari and if a car is original these numbers should indeed be 'matching'.
    Your engine number should also be written down in your service book which is in your pouch together with your manual.

3. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    #3 Dino2400, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Thank you for educating me and for the detailed and concise description. I will look through my paperwork.
    Respectfully,
    John

Dino2400 likes this.
  5. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand