The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 11 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    I own a C7 (my non-winter daily driver) and just bought a 360.

I also own a C3.

And I’m just a hair over 40 years old (not that many hairs over)

RedNeck likes this.
  2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Mine is#2 First batch. At the local dealer. Body colored acc. No spoiler/Wing. Blue ext Red seats.

F2003-GA, DRYHOLE and RedNeck like this.
  3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #253 davemqv, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    My Mondial is VERY impressed.

Interestingly, your post is all bragging about "performance" and horsepower, and zero talk about your enjoyment of any of your cars. I guess if you're ok with thinking that way, I'm ok with you thinking that way, too. My cars mean more to me than stats.

MalcQV and Zed82 like this.
  4. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    I did well on my C7 since I bought pre-PriceHike & have a Discount thru the Father in Law.
    What I Bought for (54K) minus what I sold for (37K) divided over 62 Months I had it equated to $270 a month... not too shabby.

5. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Similar Boat as you
    Just over a Year ago I had:
    C7, C5, C3, C2, 430 & Tesla Model S P100D
    Now:
    C3, C2, 355, 430 & Tesla Model S P100D
    Plan to get a C8 when they allow a Discount from the Father-in-law

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your Mondial is a nice car. I really like them. Great way to get into the Ferrari club, and it's a really reliable machine. But it is more a gt then a true performance car. Nothing is wrong with that, but your posts indicate it is much more then it really is. That said, enjoy it and be very thankful you have such a luxury parked in your garage.

MalcQV and Boomhauer like this.
  7. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    I'd be surprised if anyone would be all that impressed with the model you would get for 60k compared to other models and configurations that will be coming out down the road . Might just be my take on the whole deal . That and you can have the first year on any new car LOL !! Other than that -- I think it looks great.

8. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Agreed Entirely. The reality is that a well sorted track car is going to significantly outperform any street car anyway. Once a person learns what track cars are capable of then worrying about performance bragging rights on a "peasant street car" becomes pointless. It's like arguing who has the fastest scooter in a world with Ducatis.

Back on topic: I can't wait to see what this new C8 is like to drive. A mid engine corvette has been teased ever since I got into cars as a kid, we'll see what the reality is like soon.

9. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    #259 DanSavage, Jul 23, 2019
    The second year of the MagneRide was put onto the 2003 Corvette. That was the first generation. I believe they're currently in the fourth generation.

I've got it on my `03 Vette and personally, I'd be hard-pressed to go back to conventional shocks.

The only way to get the MagneRide on the C8 is to order it with the Z51 package. As of the MY2020 you can't order it separately.

Here's the list of cars that have and currently utilize the MagneRide technology:

Buick Lucerne: CXS trim; Lucerne Super
    Chevrolet Camaro in ZL1 trim (2012— ) and SS trim (2016— ) with optional package
    Chevrolet Corvette C5: Standard equipment on 2003 50th anniversary model, optional on 2003-2004 model years
    Chevrolet Corvette C6: optional in coupe trim starting in 2005 model year and in hardtop (Z06) trim starting in 2012 model year; standard equipment in ZR1.
    Chevrolet Corvette C7: Optional with Z51 package, standard on Z06 and ZR1
    Chevrolet SS: standard as of 2015 MY
    Cadillac XLR and Cadillac XLR-V (2004-2009) standard on all models
    Cadillac ATS and Cadillac ATS-V (2013— ): standard with 3.6L or 2.0T option package.
    Cadillac CTS and Cadillac CTS-V (2009— ) (Magnetic Ride Control)
    Cadillac CT6 (2016— ): standard on Platinum, optional on other models except PHEV
    Cadillac Escalade (2008- ): standard
    Cadillac SRX (2004–09): standard with Performance or Premium option package.
    Cadillac DTS (2006–11): standard with Performance or Premium option package.
    Cadillac STS (2005–11): standard with Northstar V8 and 1SG option package.
    Cadillac Seville STS (2002–03): Debut application for MagneRide, replacing Continuously Variable Road-Sensing Suspension (CVRSS).
    GMC Sierra (Denali Trim)
    GMC Yukon and Yukon XL
    Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 (2015– ): Standard Equipment
    Ford Mustang GT and Ecoboost (2018- )
    HSV Senator
    HSV GTS
    HSV W427
    Acura MDX
    Acura ZDX
    Acura NSX
    Audi TT (magnetic ride)
    Audi S3 (magnetic ride)
    Audi R8 (magnetic ride)
    Land Rover Discovery Sport
    Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
    Ferrari 599
    Ferrari F12berlinetta
    Ferrari California
    Ferrari FF
    Ferrari 458 Italia
    La Ferrari
    Lamborghini Aventador

Here's a YT video where

Ellagirl and Boomhauer like this.
  10. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    #260 TomAZ, Jul 23, 2019
    Normally when people think the market will react in a certain way (in this case depreciate certain exotics) the actual result will be completely the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This thing is a home run. A few small misses imo, but overall pretty amazing. I might order one as a daily driver once you can get them for msrp.

12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    GM/Dephi does not own Magnaride. It was sold off to the Chinese!

13. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My point is that performance is only a part of what makes a car worth having, it's not about defending the Mondial per se. And although I disagree that I'm indicating it's more than it is, it is a good point of contrast. It doe sin fact have a great sounding engine, gated shifter, nice old Connolly leather interior etc. It's also kind of weird and crazy looking. All things I like but others are free to dislike.

And of course the C8 has things I dislike that others are free to love...styling, interior design, etc. But to me saying, "this car is fast!" and then disregarding everything i don't like about it would also be "indicating it's more than it is".

As Aaya points out, guys bragging about what their street cars are "capable of" as a means of comparison is not only immature sounding but just seems like a silly way to value a car. The C8 goes from 0-60 in about 3 seconds. Cool. So does a Tesla. Which would you rather own? A Mondial QV goes from 0-60 in about 7 seconds. A 250 Lusso goes from 0-60 in about 8 seconds. So does that mean that everyone bragging about how fast their car goes would logically opt for the Mondial over the Lusso? It's faster so it must be better, right? It could "eat the Lusso for breakfast". See what I mean? That's silly.

But everyone should like what they like. No problem.

MJGinTX, boxerman and MalcQV like this.
  14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You can say that again!!!

Kevin

15. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I agree with you, but GM is not like Porsche or Ferrari with option pricing. For addition $5-10k in options you can have nicely spec’d car. Looks like a hell of a car for less than $80k out the door with some options. Thats what you might spend on F8 options alone lol!

I did hear if you want the new C8 you have to buy at least 2 Chevy Cruzes and a Malibu :D

G. Pepper, greg328, willrace and 2 others like this.
  16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Fireman1291 likes this.
  17. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    yup, makes Ferrari and Lambo technology look like horse and buggy...

18. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    This post, in it's totality, misses the entire point of what a Corvette is.

For the record, I was against moving the engine, but then again I'm biased against the mid/rear layout to begin with.

Disclaimer out of the way: a Corvette is dirt cheap speed. It's super car performance on a budget. Nobody who buys one of these cars really cares about the cheap plastic interior or crappy bumpers. They care that it's loud and fast and can whip vastly more expensive cars at the track and the stop light.

You see, THE CORVETTE REPRESENTS AMERICA. It embodies the ethos of the attainable American dream. It's not some distant wish to be fulfilled in another life, it's the fruit of your labors in this one. The C7 z06 is the greatest sports car of all time because it could slap Ferrari cars in the lips at Laguna Seca, but it cost $79 grand. You see, in America, the dream is possible. It's a reality. An electrician or a plumber can not only realistically save up and buy a Corvette, with a GMAC bumper to bumper warranty he can actually afford to own one.

I don't like this car. I hate it's layout. But they are going to sell a butt load of these things. And when Farrari and Lambo models start getting corn holed at the track by the Z versions of this car, all of the complaints about the Dollar Store quality interiors will fall on deaf ears...

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    True, but the Dollar Store Interior is a myth on the new car.
    But we'll all have to wait and see.

20. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #NAILEDIT

Boomhauer and Golden Steed like this.
  21. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    Truth.

22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    What about all the hate and insults thrown around here :eek:
    Why would anybody ever be offended by a remark about a car they own/want that wasn't inline with theirs? Have some conviction in the car (or anything for that matter) you own. It really does not matter a jot what your neighbour thinks because it's for you not them. You don't buy something somebody else likes!
    Same with the Mondial comments. I've owned one and that smell and sound is incredible along with no driver aids. 308 with four seats :cool:

I think this Corvette is probably one of the best Corvettes ever made. Sure I love the C1 through C3. The C2 is pure beauty (OK the C1 is too :p) but this mid engine supercar (why not?) is incredible and $60k. It is I believe coming in proper RHD (it's the best way) to the UK but I am guessing going off the prices of other US cars to the UK cars (Tesla and Mustang for example) it'll be near an £80k car here.
    That's a shame because my 360 on a really good day is only a £65k car. Truth is I do love my 360 and for the money I don't believe anything else will make me smile like it but this would come close. Secondhand might be an option for me, though I think again here we will not have many and I think the C8 will hold value.

What's wrong with the interior? It reminds me a little of a 458 with those curving long lines, I love it.

TestShoot likes this.
  23. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    You can get the C8 for MSRP now from almost every Chevy dealer out there.

In many cases, those getting the markups are either out of territory customers or the dealer just doesn't want to deal with it until they know more.

Expect most C8 cars to carry MSRPs around $75K.

TomAZ, RWP137 and Golden Steed like this.
  24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    total grand slam home run for team corvette. its good looking, has performance, top comes off, has tons of options to personalize with, and is incredible value. i am a typical used exotic buyer and if i was in market now, i would give c8 serious consideration. cant even begin to imagine what the performance versions will be like.

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    No offence but to me looks like a Chinese knock off
    Time to buy the C7

davemqv likes this.