Is it better to sell this 355 as is or do a major first? | FerrariChat

Is it better to sell this 355 as is or do a major first?

Discussion in '348/355' started by espvh, Nov 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Hi all, my neighbor is thinking of selling his beautiful '96 355 Spyder with 18k miles, but is not sure if he should do a major, (which is due), and by doing so, putting money into it, and asking more or sell it for less just as it sits.... opinions?

View attachment 2634446

Attached Files:

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Sell it as is at a discount to allow for a standard major. Call around to some Ferrari shops and independents to get rough pricing. Way back when, I was reading here that the 348 major would run $6-8k. I got a good one done (along with some extra work) for $3400, so a few phone calls might be worthwhile. Car looks immaculate, so it should sell easily.

:)
    BT

3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    One always risks receiving the call “while we were working on your car we found...”

4. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Getting the major done will sell it more quickly. Plus after dealing with endless phone calls from tire kickers/low ballers “because of the lack of service,” the seller will probably end up getting the service done anyway, or sell at a cost they wouldn’t otherwise.

Car looks great and has low miles. A fresh major will get it top dollar.

Yassa likes this.
  5. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I think a fresh major would attract more buyers, especially if they are first time buyers. There is a real fear of the "we found ___ after we dropped the engine" phone call. Now would be a good time to do a service since the market for an exotic spider is pretty dead during winter.

But, if I were to do it again, I would rather do the major once I bought the car. That way, you are never worried about what was skipped in the name of cost savings. A decent compromise would be to split the cost of a major with the new owner by lowering the asking price in line with service quotes.

Either way, it looks like an immaculate car. GLWS

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld ask - some buyers will prefer to have the major done at their own shop. more stranded buyers will want it done.

Yassa and Deadshort like this.
  7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Since it is a Spider, you might encounter some resistance in selling until it gets warm again. Having the major done is certainly going to make the car more salable and eliminate a large dollar negotiating point that a buyer can use. It will already be a challenge to sell the car at the end of the year and into winter.

8. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Guess it depends on how much your neighbor is looking to net out of the sale.

FWIW, a 16k mile, Grigio Spider just sold on BAT for $71,500.......Needed a belt service.

9. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Doing the major will give you a larger pool of potential buyers. About to sell a Giallo/nero spider with equivalent miles and a fresh major on BaT. Compare sale price of mine to the Grigio one and that'll give you the answer. TBH, I'd be happy at $71.5.

10. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Sounds like a super clean example. BTW get ready for some of the silliest, irrelevant and insane comments on BAT.

There was some clown that posted 10 plus times to the Seller (the one that just sold for 71.5k)) and another BAT Member. He was asking the seller and arguing with a member about the car being part of what he called a major lawsuit which entailed flashing the ECU to roll back the mileage on a 355.

What an idiot, because we have mechanical odometers. Turns out what he was referring to was a supposed flash that happened on brand new, current era F Cars with less than 400 miles.

Then some posts about the gauges not resting at zero. Guys literally say they are watching the auction with popcorn.... tire kickers.

I honestly don’t know how the Seller could keep his cool. Truly the patience of Jobe. Finally one of the Bidders had to tell him to shut up ! LOL !

Anyway, there seem to be some legit buyers , your’s should do well. GLWS.

11. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yep, gotta take the bad with the good. Seems like BaT is the place to get market though.

12. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Thanks all, so it looks like 6 to one, half dozen to another, (always hated that saying), lol. I think the easiest way to go about it is to sell it as it sits now, if it doesn't sell right away, try again in the spring, then do a major.....I'm pretty sure he will take $67k.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is an immaculate looking 355

14. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    It depends on who is his market. If he is thinking more "entry level" folks are looking at his car (first time Ferrari owners), do the major. They will be more worried about maintenance and that sort of thing. Also, they may not have the ability to fork out another $7k shortly after buying.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    How long ago was the last major done (time/miles)? One man's "due" is another man's "a couple of years to go". Is there anything that needs immediate attention (oil/coolant leaks, torn CV boots...)?

thorn likes this.
  16. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    I believe about 4000 miles ago but many years, other than that I think it is pretty solid.

17. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #17 vracer, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    I bought mine in need of the service in a year or so. Kind of like this 4,000 miles ago car. I have a lot of doubts about a seller actually having all the "while we're in there things" done. Those are the things that make the car a dream to drive.

I paid a couple of thousand extra over what my chosen shop normally charges, and I'm happy I had the opportunity to do it. The car has been almost trouble free since the service.

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Based on my experience selling my F355 spider a couple of years ago.
    As stated earlier, complete major service will definitely help sell faster. In my case, cost of service was only partially recouped in actual selling price. Sale at a difficult time due to weather in the northeast.

19. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    At $67K, I think with a $10K major will still be in the ballpark of what it's worth. And the new owner will have the peace of mind knowing that his own tech did the work.

20. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    That's what I was thinking as well.

21. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    OK, so I think the verdict is he will try to sell it at $69k now, the way it is and if it doesn't sell he may do the services in the spring and ask low $80's. Thanks all for all the input!

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Make sure to post (or have him post) here in classifieds

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

23. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Thinking now on how to do this, he won't post & I don't know the car well enough to answer all questions....+ some of the things I had to put up with when I sold my car...between the dreamers, tire kickers, and jerks, not sure if I want to deal with it....we'll see....

24. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Bump....almost a must go situation, lmk....pm......again, not mine, for a friend......

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Selling a Ferrari is a nightmare. Bat is likley the best. In 6 months who knows the value.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app