What should be my next car? Please advise. | FerrariChat

What should be my next car? Please advise.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by TheMagician, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which car would you buy in my position?

1. 599 GTO

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. 430 Scuderia

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. F12 Berlinetta

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 812 Superfast

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Aventador / S / SV

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Another Speciale :)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    I am fortunate enough, that I can say, that I can purchase another Ferrari, but I am right now torn apart what car I should choose.
    I do have beautiful Speciale which I adore and I like simply everything about it - sound, looks, rough but precise ride performance on country roads and as well on a circuit. It is my special occasion car. I bought it because I liked it and my intention was not to lose much money on it once I will sell it. But because the car is so good, I doubt that I will sell it anytime soon. I have a few MBs as daily drivers and also AMG GTS by Renntech which is a completely different animal than Speciale. That car is really good, reliable, has got some boot space and all the build quality that MB cars have. That is my primary weekend car, but I sometimes drive it to work as you can easily daily drive it.
    I had an urge to buy another sports car or GT car which could replace the AMG GTS, and I chose to buy 812 SF, but it looks, that the model year 2020 will have undesirable GPF and other crap which I simply really do not want. So I am thinking about cancelling my order. I am quite sad about it, as I have planned to create a unique specification which would just make me very happy - Verde Pino, with brown Alcantara, golden wheels, full carbon. That would be my first sports car which I have ever specified from start to finish.
    But as this might not happen, I am back at making a decision about my next car. Maybe you can help me.
    I am looking for a car which could replace the GTS. It does not have to be a GT car, but sports car, where I can fit at least a small bag for a one day trip.

==F12==
    I am considering F12 - as the prices right now are great. In my eyes, the car is 10percent worse than 812, but 40% cheaper. Minus is, that I cannot specify the car and it is very hard to find some good looking spec which is not red or grey. But I can live with it. The price/fun ratio is really high here I think and it makes a sense as GT car. It has magnificent V12, stunning looks and I think that I will not lose much money in the long term.

==599 GTO==
    Yes, the GTO - I love that car, and I think it would be a great addition to Speciale. I am only afraid that I would end up worrying about the km I will put on it.
    Price is also quite high and I would have to cut corners in some of my other investments, but GTO is investment itself, right?

==430 Scuderia==
    I know that the car is similar breed to Speciale, but I enjoy that car so much, that I think that picking Scuderia which is in my eyes on the edge of "new digital" and "old analogue" era can be a wise choice. Also, the prices of cars with 20k km are quite low and I should not lose much money if I will add another 20k km on it. For me, it looks like a great bargain for what that car offers. I am a bit worried about reliability as my friend who owns f430 says, his car is still at Ferrari garage.

==812==
    Nice cars, but If I cannot fully specify the car, then it somehow loses an appeal to me. I simply do not want to pay that amount of money for classic rad and tan, low spec car which now you can have from the dealer. I would rather go with F12 and save a little fortune.

==Aventador / S / SV==
    I do not want to be a heretic, discussing Lambo here on FChat, but it is also on my radar. My friend does have Aventador S and I can tell you, that there is something on that car. The car does have that presence and wow factor, the engine creates interesting noise and it spits flames ( my internal 11-year-old me, love that), and I do not take that single-clutch as a disadvantage, but as a character attribute. The philosophy of v12 Lambos are different - it is all about speed, performance, and sound. While Aventador S does have many improvements over non-S version and that might smoothen the characteristics of the car, I still consider that to be a viable choice. I am afraid about buying non-S model, simply because it will be very hard to move it, as that car would not be a keeper. S versions, as they are newer, might be perceived less like a dinosaur and they might be easier to resell. But their value will decrease massively, especially the S model.
    So there is an option of buying SV, which is a limited car, price wise is slightly less than 812SF which I have spec'd and also lower than GTO. Technologically is between standard Aventador and S and it does have the roughest look of all Aventadors. It is more track-focused, almost no space in the car to store even your mobile phone, but the magic and performance are there. Oh, and of course it is a bad choice as replacement of my AMG GTS as it is not a GT car.

==My background==
    And I think it is also wise to mention a bit of my background.
    I still consider myself to be quite young - 34, I work in a high-stress environment and I take my cars as an escape and joy. I drive one of my cars every weekend if time allows and I visit many car enthusiasts meetings. I do have some health issues, which might prevent me of enjoying this car hobby in (hopefully distant) future, so I want to enjoy it to the fullest, while it lasts. I do have a family and 5-year-old son, who loves to ride with me. I am doing mostly short trips due to my health and once or twice a year, I will do a full-day trip. And for that occasion, I was picking the GTS as it can be simply a comfortable car by push of the button.

==My Final thoughts==
    So while my sensible me, says buy an F12 - it is almost as good as 812, cheaper, and it is a good replacement of AMG, it might not fully satisfy my 34-year-old ego part. Which says, it is still a compromise from 812. Maybe I should grab another special V8 version - 430 Scuderia and drive it as much as I can if it will give me at least 80% joy of Speciale, it is still rare, stunning to look and it is a rough car which I like. Maybe I should enjoy it now, while I can and get some more comfy GT car later.
    GTO would be interesting from an investment point of view as well. But do I want to pay such a premium? Is it really twice as good as Speciale or three times as good as Scuderia?

I am sorry for such a long post and my thanks to those, who read it fully and give me their opinions.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    If your time is limited here on earth, do what the heart desires. Sounds like the 812 is the ticket. And installing an exhaust should help with the filter issue. Good luck!

paulchua likes this.
  3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'd go with the 812, I'm sure that Ferrari will be able to manage the GPF well enough to not have a significant negative effect. Being able to spec the car exactly how you like would be awesome. Certainly the highest cost option though.

Have you considered getting a GTC4Lusso or FF though? Having a back seat to be able to take your son with you for drives would make them that much more fun.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Thanks a lot for your opinions. Just to clarify, my condition will prevent me from riding cars with harsh suspensions or driving cars at all, as my spine will deteriorate. But I will hopefully be here for much longer. I drive Speciale and GTS with my son on the front seat (it took me a while to find proper child seat which will fit, but I succeeded). My wife is not really enjoying sports cars, so I guess there is no need for GTC4Lusso or FF.
    I clearly see your point guys in the joy of spec'ing your own car, but I am afraid I would be disappointed if one of the essential parts of every Ferrari is not right - For me it is a performance, looks and sound. Once one of them is missing, I am no longer interested. THat's why I do not want 488, F8 or Pista.
    I wrote to Novitec about the possibility of having their exhaust system from N-largo in 812 - they said, it is not an issue for 2019, but they might not have a version for 2020. That would require also reworking ECU which means completely destroying the warranty.

5. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Bro...Aventador S.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

APA#1 likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!!! This is sort of a cheat, but it seems like we're right at the start of a new cycle of new models. I would wait and see the new Lambo Ferrari models coming up!

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    My vote is for the Aventador S.

F12 you're going to miss the modern tech from the AMG GTS. 812 seems like you're not sold on the GPF, if you love sound could be a deal breaker. Plus all 3 cars have long hood and front-engine and IMO are more GT cars than sports cars. IMO mid-engine is synonymous with sports car.

Go for the most exhilirating, thrilling drive for your taste since the years left to enjoy driving sportscars may be limited by your health.

TheMagician and Fireman1291 like this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I wouldn't be so sure about the investment part, at least in the short term. A couple years ago a member here had his for sale for $776,000. Two years later the price was $625,00 and it still didn't sell so he took it off the market.

Buy the car because you love it. If it goes up in value, great, if it doesn't you won't even care. ;)

9. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    #9 Modena_2003, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    I would go for the Aventador but not the SV or the S. What about the 50 Anniversario? Very limited production and it looks awesome. Better quality ride than the SV and it will hold its value more than any mass production cars. I had the chance to choose between the SV and the 50th. I bought my 2014 Aventador 50th in 2016 brand new without even thinking. When I drive my car in London, I don’t see any 50th on the street. Sv’s and s are everywhere! Even Photoghraphers would be more exciting while filming a 50th as they don’t see it that much in the road. Speciale and 50th are both limited production. Best combination IMO.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrkQYWKgwdK/?igshid=19fx9zvipxzqs

Moe

10. Kuba

Kuba Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    599 GTO. It's raw, fun, scary and beautiful. You won't regret ;)

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Very sorry to hear about your medical condition. I hope your prognosis is better than you fear and that you will be able to enjoy life to the max for a long time.
    If you like convertibles (you don’t mention) then you should consider a Scuderia 16M which is as much fun and more “unique”feeling than a Scuderia.
    If it were me, I would take a 599 GTO if money were really no object, but a 430 Scuderia is more fun on some roads, much cheaper, and arguably more fun than a Speciale.
    Depending on the police situation where you are, you can enjoy the 430 at lower speeds than a 812.
    I don’t think any of the Ferraris you mention have a reputation for being less reliable than others. My 430s have been extremely reliable to date. But the newer ones will be under warranty.

paulchua and Modena_2003 like this.
  12. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
  13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    GTO.

Try to find one with 20.000+ kms so you can add kms yourself and not worry too much.

How about a Challenge Stradale?

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Spend some money to get some real medical care and enjoy whatever car you want. If it's a disc issue replace it/inject with steroids, if its the vertebral body degredation get on meds for it, if it's ankylosing spondylitis control the inflammation and prevent the fusion..

ronfrohock and Statler like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I own a 812 and formerly owned an F12. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like F12 is your car. For me, I think the F12 is the bargain car of the century (...10% less car for 40% less money), but I HAD to have a 812. It sounds like you would want a 812, but you don’t need to have one. If that is true, go F12. It’s amazing and it perfectly compliments what you already have.

16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for the explanation of your thought process.
    however, it is slightly contradictory.....you indicate that you want more of a gt, but then gravitate towards a harder sports car in some of your choices.
    given that you have a speciale already, so i consider your 'hard sports car' category is already filled, and you want a gt car....

then there is the looks issue.....you are asking us our opinion, and looks come into that, and looks are different for each individual....

given those caveats, i would dismiss the scud - it is great and cheaper now, but it is in the same vein as your speciale.
    personally i dont like the 812 at all, so i would not choose it for any reason.

the 599 gto is a great car, but if you are worried about putting miles on it, maybe not for you.
    the f12 can just be bought and miles added without worry because the value will slip whatever you do - it is simply a used car.
    the aventador is different. interesting shape, but harder to live with in some senses, and it will get A LOT more attention than the gto or f12 - so you may or may not like that.

17. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I know this is a FERRARI site but as we love all performance cars how about an Aston Martin DBS Superleggera?
    Excellent fit and finish
    Aggressive and better performance than the rest of the AM lineup and still has the softer suspension you need. A big step up from the GTS

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    How about a C8 Corvette? ;) Just half kidding.... I know that they're not available yet, BUT you could buy one, drive it into the ground, and maybe take the difference in cost between it and one of the other options that you mention and put it into an index fund for your 5 year old? It's unlikely that you'll see too many C8s in CZ. They would probably draw a ton of attention.

19. TheMagician

TheMagician Rookie

Oct 25, 2018
    Czech Republic
    Hey, guys, thanks a lot for your opinions, I really appreciate that it really widens my perspective.
    After a lot of thoughts, I have narrowed my choices between 812 and F12. I will wait to see the first videos of 812 MY2020 with GPF to actually hear, how good or bad the sound is.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My apologies for my callousness. I missed the part about your medical condition, otherwise I would not have suggested as such.

I wish you the very best in that arena.

I too would vote for the 812.
    Best wishes to you.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Prayers and support for your back.... I’ve suffered 2 compression fractures and fortunately recovered but realize how hard back injuries can be.

Sounds like you have an old soul like me in terms of the automotive driving experience. I too own a Speciale and absolutely love it. I also Just bought my wife an AMG GTS... sad to see you let it go and curious of your feedback.
    I also own a 16M which is phenomenal in its own right but certainly more raw than the Speciale. In this realm I’ve had a Huracan Performante, also phenomenal! But these are less GT.

I drove a 599 GTB and an F12 back to back and I lovvveeed the 599 moreso than the F12.
    Of course I’d love the GTO as my next car but may I suggest the 599 HGTE!

You can’t go wrong with any of your choices... enjoy the journey !!! Godspeed.

Sent from my 16M

22. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    The 812 is the height of awesomeness.

23. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #23 Frank_C, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
    The V12 Ferraris you've mentioned are not GTs IMO, they are sports cars. Especially if you've been accustomed to MBs (this is coming from a from a multi decade, multiple AMG daily driver viewpoint).

If you have back issues, you've eliminated the Lamborghini by default.......they have a reputation for giving you back problems......

I hate to tell you, but my F12 is not any more comfortable, if any than my 991.1 GT3 RS, which is a track car.

That being said, many here have stated that the F12 feels "raw" when compared to an 812, which may be felt in your back. I'd pass on the GTO for the same reason.

I don't know yet, mine will be a '20. The GPF does not bother me and did not sway me to cancel my 812 order as on the track even my F12 has more than enough giddyup on the straights to blow the doors off just about anybody out there.

There is something to be said to be able to configure your own Ferrari though.

FWIW back in the day when I wanted a GT as a daily to complement my 360 spider I bought a Vanquish S, not a 575M.

Good luck!!!

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I always wanted a 599 GTO. The shape of it simply mesmerizes me.

Screw it and just drive the car!

plastique999 likes this.