Rear engine hatch adjustments | FerrariChat

Rear engine hatch adjustments

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jasonious, Jul 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hello Everyone

New guy here having just acquired a 79 GTB. I'll post a proper intro thread (with pics), but I have a quick question first. I am in the process of fixing the engine cover opening system and need to adjust both the main and backup cable. I am having a difficult time figuring out how to free the cable(s) from the ferrule that activates the latches. With a mirror and a light from the bottom of the ferrule, I can see what looks like an adjusting allen screw. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an allen key that fits. Does anyone know the size? Is the tightening screw and allen? Is this even the right way to approach it?

Thanks for any guidance.

Jasonious

2. barry308QV

barry308QV Rookie

Oct 29, 2011
    Sydney
    My Euro QV is 2.5mm Allen head and two grub screws in the ferrule. Undo both grub screws and the ferrule should just slide off the cables. It's been a while but I don't recall that replacing the cables was a particularly painful experience.

3. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Make sure you test the system really good before closing that trunk. I didn't tighten the screws enough and the far latch (passenger) failed to open. it was a disaster I had to cut the light plastic cover lens (red/white) to access to the screws. It took me couple of days thinking about it before I brought out the drill and the saw. Lesson learned and lens replaced for $200.

4. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Ouch, thanks for the heads up.

Im still a little frustrated. I can't find an allen key to fit properly. Could I be attacking this incorrectly? Seems so straightforward. Small screw at the bottoms of the ferrule, correct?

5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    As noted above the screws are metric. You sure your using a metric allen wrench ? BTW, Welcome to the Brotherhood and Congrats!

6. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hahaha. Got it. Thanks guys. Had to search for a 2.5, but now good to go.