Looking at a GP Ferrari Chrono 330/P4 | FerrariChat

Looking at a GP Ferrari Chrono 330/P4

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Ghostdiver, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Hey guys, I have some questions for you. On March 30, I turned 50...yea for me...still alive after all the crap I've pulled! So to celebrate, my best friend bought me a Ferrari Scuderia watch. I know he meant well, but this watch is not in the same league as the marque. It's more akin to a Pontiac Fiero kit car. It's big at 50mm, gaudy, unreadable, etc.

So, while searching for my Rolex SD replacement (stolen....), I ran across supposedly a NIB GP 330/p4 watch on Chrono24. It has the off-white/cream face w/black subdials but they also have a black face/red sub one as well for a couple hundred more. Granted, this is not a replacement for my SD, but it is a nice dress watch, and being a 330/P4 model, it corresponds to my birthday.

I can't really find any info on GP Ferrari watches and even though the seller is on Chrono24 and has a high feedback, they don't have a lot of history and have only been a member since 2018. It's a dealer rather than an individual but they are located in Spain. As I tend to think with my heart and wallet rather than my head, I'm looking for opinions from individuals without a stake in the game. I've requested info from the seller such as additional pics and such. They responded stating the watch is in fact new and unworn and will send additional pictures later. So, I guess it's been sitting around for a few years.... The watch isn't terribly expensive but it's not a Walmart Casio either...

So what say you? Comments on the watch, Chrono24, etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ghostdiver and 19633500GT like this.
  3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    What are you thoughts on the watch in general?

5. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Your story is actually one that prompted me to consider the brand. How do you like it after having it for a little over a year?

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Nothing wrong with GP watches. Good value nowadays if you buy them right. I had the F1-047 to match my 355 back in the day and I always found myself staring at it. I sold it then got it back from the same guy and wore it another year to get it out of my system before I sold it again. :D

What I liked the most was how the rubber strap design matched the creases in the body lines at the rear of the car. They did a good job on those back then.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ronfrohock, Red 27 and Ghostdiver like this.
  7. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I like the 330 P4 watch and GP/Ferrari collaboration in the mid 90s etc.

Like what others mentioned, the GP/Ferrari watches of that era are underrated. Great looking watches with quality “manufacture” movements. At that time, there were only a few watch companies that claim to have their own in-house movements. I have a GP 250 TdF I bought new in 1997 and wore it through my motorsports career, etc. and early entrepreneurial ventures. Still works fine and has never been opened. Can dress up or down - very versatile. Definitely an heirloom piece.

Good that you are considering a watch that has personal relevance to you. I believe this is important in watch collecting. Why 250 TdF for me? First off, it’s the first Macaluso/di Montezomulo - both motorsports gearheads (Macaluso was Euro ex-rally driver) and CEOs of their respective companies at that time - GP/Ferrari collaboration watch which featured a quintessential dual-use race/street car. I now wear this watch particularly when playing with my same-era, dual-use, street-registered 355 Challenge. I also bought the watch during my peak Ferrari motorsports fandom (Schumacher, F1, etc.) and last indulgence before leaping from corporate world to follow a passion.

The 330/P4 is a car that is on top of my car-to-drive (if not own) list. It’s the only Ferrari that can replace my 355 Ch; at least this is how I’ve felt for last 5+ years. The watch you’re considering may have been one of the last (if not last) Ferrari car model tribute via a GP watch IIRC. Nice piece.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

As stated by others it’s a pretty cool watch at a reasonable cost. I would not buy new because of the cost. If you can find a nice preowned that’s the ticket. Best , Kirk.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I still love it. No problems or complaints. Still nice and shiny: no dings or scratches. The thing just sparkles. I get complements on it.

I like running the chronometer while wearing it just to have the full-face second hand active. I read somewhere (on the internet!) that doing so is less stress on the movement than some chronometers due to the 8020's "horizontal clutch" configuration.

If you google "girard perregaux review" you'll get a list of a few reviews of GP in general. If you google "girard perregaux 8020 review" you'll get a couple of reviews of the 8020 model although the watch you are looking at seems to have been given a different referece number. It looks like there were 2,000 made of your watch.

I have been checking Chrono24 occasionally over the almost 2 years since I got the watch. I have not seen another watch exactly like mine in the same mint condition with boxes and papers come up again. I seem to have gotten lucky.

10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I actually found one closer to home complete with box and papers. Appears to be in better condition along with a better price as well. I did reach out to GP on any information they can provide concerning the series and original pricing. As you bought new in 1997, may I ask what price these were going for when released? It's just so difficult to find info on these limited runs by watchmakers.

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The 047 was 4400, MSRP. I think these were similarly priced?

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    ... hummm, I thought I saw the vintage price list showing a MSRP for the 8020 as circa $9,500. (I may have a copy somewhere.)

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    In gold maybe, but the 047 was aluminum.

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Steel 250TdF was mid $5k. Steel 8020s were mid $4k.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    great looking watch

16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    doyler, Roman456 and ronfrohock like this.
  17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    WOW! Awesome! Very cool watch! Enjoy!!

Ghostdiver likes this.
  18. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #18 Ghostdiver, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Now if I could just find a 330/P4 to complete the pairing.....for a discounted price like the watch was.....:)

But this watch is significant for a couple of reasons...330 is my birthday and for my birthday this year, my parents gave me something from my past; a drawing I started some 30 years ago which helped fuel my Ferrari fascination and dreams. That drawing was of course a 330/P4.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Cool beans! :)