Analyzing pipe fitting corroded and leaking | FerrariChat

Analyzing pipe fitting corroded and leaking

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Jul 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The fitting on the rear cylinder exhaust manifold appears to have crumbled, and the exhaust is leaking. Was this a male fitting that threaded into the manifold, or does the manifold have a male threaded bung that has corroded away and the female "nut" attached to? How does one repair something like this, it is kind of under the fuel distributor, so might be accessible in the car. Can I just use some high heat epoxy and hope for the best? The pic does not show it but the remainer of the nut is still on the pipe. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Male fitting. Looks like the air injection manifold. You could either remove it completely and install plugs in the holes, or get a salvaged one from a junkyard.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am not sure what i am looking at, but if you have a damaged female thread in the manifold the best repair is to have a Helicoil fitted. This is a threaded insert that will bring you back to the original thread size.
    Look on u tube for helicoil fitting
    Avoid epoxy etc as will not last

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    It is the exhaust analyzer tube fitting. Looks like the male nut corroded off, leaving the thread portion in the manifold, so still seems to be holding the pipe. I think it is ok, and not leaking.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is called a sampling tube. It is almost always rusted off due to the condensation in the exhaust gas. Impossible to find replacement that is of any good shape. Most of us just cap it off with some plugs. It is of a funny size too.

6. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Mine are the same. My concern is that they will allow air to enter and the o2 sensor (in the exhaust) will read an incorrect reading.......sending the wrong message to the ecu. Also the kids get a headache in the back seat after a short ride and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I guess we dont have many options. But removing the tubes entirely will casue points to be taken off at the next car show.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What shape/ size/ material is this thing- if it is a sample tube it should be easy to shape with a mini pipe bender
    Anyone got a pic of one on the bench

8. Drewbdo

Drewbdo Karting

Apr 8, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Future owner here. Just wondering and trying to learn about the cars ... hot exhaust gases leaking under the fuel distributor. Is this a potential fire hazard?

moysiuan likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Good point. I think the fuel distributor right over the header generally is a design that I am surprised worked out in the first instance, must heat things up pretty well even without exhaust leaks.