Ferrari 550 Wiring Diagram Confusion | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 Wiring Diagram Confusion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qavion, Jul 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #26 Qavion, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Does pin 5 of the control panel go to pin 5 of plug 275? I don't see the point of sending power which is related to backlighting to the ECU :p

I'd be curious to know which pin on the ECU that pin 18 (grey wire) on plug 275 goes to. There has to be a splice. The ECU needs right bank coolant temperature. Maybe ECU pin 6 (yellow/black)?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    550 and 575M wiring are quite different due to the differences in equipment, sensors and ECUs.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Terry. What about the 456? It seems to have the same HVAC sensors, but there is an extra relay.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do we know what the 2 fuses are for, hidden on the right hand side of the evaporator unit? One may be a fuse for the blower motor and aircon compressor (with power from the battery). The other may be ignition key power going to the ECU and other smaller items.

The wire colours on the hidden relay and fuses would be handy, too. On the F355, the ECU controls the main power relay/s with a green-black wire on pin 15. See if the 550 HVAC ECU's pin 15 (green-white) goes to the relay. If not, try ECU pin 9 (green-black).

What are the ratings of these fuses?

Is plug 274 easy to find? I'm assuming ECU pin 1 is hooked up to this via one of the fuses.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #30 Qavion, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Does the Digitek module have letters on the plug receptacles. The workshop manual is a farce. It lists 20 pins on a 16 pin plug. Also the numbering system is completely screwed. We need a standard reference to compare notes.

Just a theory, but I think the grey wire on pin 8 of ECU plug B provides power to all the sensors. I'm guessing there is a splice which hooks up all the sensors on the ECU side of plug 275 (i.e. the heater duct temperature sensor, the cabin air temperature sensor and possibly the blower fan speed regulator). The splice also feeds pin 9 of plug 275 and pin 9 goes to another splice to feed more sensors (mirror outside air temperature, sun radiation sensor and RH Bank Coolant Temperature Sensor)

EDIT... or maybe not... I just remembered you said...

... unless that two pin plug is not a sensor.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry.. meant to say pin 13

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- I would think the wiring on all the 456s, 550, and 575s are similar for the AC systems.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Terry. I checked the wiring in one of those horrible downloadable manuals and, as far as I can see, they also have no wiring past "plug 275" on the 456 either. Ferrari started using those useless "wireless" wiring diagrams around the time of the 456 and the 360 which show no wires, only plugs, making things extra difficult to understand. One good thing, however, the 456 manual did confirm that plug 274 was for HVAC power.

The description of the operation of the system on 456 seems to be a cut-and-paste of the 550 manual.

Anyway, looking forward to Jake's findings. I think after the colours of sensor and motor actuator wires are listed, things should become a little easier. The power circuits may be a little more difficult to fathom because of all the relays, fuses and splices.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ian- The 456 came out much earlier than the 550, so the cut and paste would be reversed.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Strange... the newer type wiring diagram are on the older car.

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #36 Qavion, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Jake, if you didn't already know, the 456 instrument panel wiring is similar to the 550's. I've been comparing wire colour and function. The 550 wiring diagram seems to be missing dozens of wires, but the ones that are present, are almost identical.

I don't know if you're familiar with the wiring diagrams on the 360, 430, 456, etc, but each plug and splice is listed with all the wire colours on them and their nearest component/splice. Here's an example of the Instrument Panel on the 456 (with some 550 comparison notes):

456 Instrument Panel Pinout

I've put 456 plug numbers on this schematic:

550 Instrument Wiring Schematic

Here's an updated set of my 550 wiring diagrams (zip file):
    550 Wiring Diagrams

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Another day of headscratching and I was only able to identify one more wire on plug 275. The yellow wire on pin 5 is actually light dimmer power (so the voltage on it will be variable).

I don't know why the WSM diagrams show the dimmer potentiometer inside the instrument panel, with its wires exiting the panel through one of the instrument panel plugs. Don't all 550's have the dimmer control by the driver's outboard knee? Anyway, I added an external dimmer to my diagrams, with the the dimmer output going to the instrument panel on pin 5 of plug A, via a splice. The splice also feeds the HVAC system, the central gauges and the centre console.

I hope the Ferrari workers weren't using the workshop manual diagrams to put these cars together. :rolleyes:

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Ian,

I'm very impressed by your profound dedication to these matters. But with your professional background, it's entirely understandable. It's a formidable task you've undertaken. We're extremely fortunate to have a member like you in these forums.

Barry

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Barry.

When someone says something like this, I usually find a major error in my diagrams :p I couldn't figure out why the fuse for the lights was attached to the Motronics ECUs.... Some of these original diagrams are a little fuzzy. Sometimes dust looks like a connection. Corrections coming soon.

I wonder how many mistakes I've made in this 456 Instrument Panel diagram...

Ferrari 456 Instrument binnacle wiring hookup diagram

Terry may find that useful for his 550 project. There are probably only a couple of different wire hookups which should be easy to resolve. I used the data in earlier pinout diagram to join up the dots. To make things difficult for me, the wiring diagram graphics had the warning light positions all jumbled up.

Question time...

Do any of these cars have a mirror heat "on" annunciator light on the instrument panel? The schematics show it, but I don't know where it is on the instrument display. I thought that was reserved for spiders?

What the heck is a "programming block"? Is the 3 pin data port/plug?

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well, Ian, then it was fortuitous that I complimented you. I know you strive for perfection.

And I have to thank you and your fellow aircraft engineers for providing for my safety. I'm an instrument-rated private pilot. In every preflight check, I've always thought of all the engineering that went into the aircraft I was examining. Precision flight takes precision engineering.

Barry

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah.. I forgot about the rare Barchetta version.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's another example of Workshop Manual lunacy...

The (real) door locking module has two 4-pin connectors. Total of 8 pins. 7 are used.
    On one page of the WSM, the simplified wiring diagram shows pin-numbering from 1 to 10.
    The WSM proper wiring diagrams show a 5 pin connector and a 3 pin connector.

The door lock and unlock commands come from the Window ECU (the central brain of the system). The labels on the two wires from the Window ECU are labelled:

Door release control from outer module
    Door release control from inner module

i.e. no door "un-release" (lock) signals.... and no mention of what inner and outer refers to. Is locking and unlocking achieved by reversing the polarity on these two input signals?

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would anyone know if the door lock actuators extend to lock or extend to unlock. On the 348 and 355, the actuators extend to lock, but they are mounted upside down (compared to the 550/456).

Thanks!

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The more I look at the WSM engine-related wiring diagrams, the more I think they were drawn by 2 or more people who weren't in communication with each other. Each seemed to have their own idea of which bank was right and which bank was left. Each time I use one set of criteria to identify a bank in the diagrams, another set criteria identifies it as the opposite bank.
    e.g. the ECU in the Right engine bank diagram is labelled 172. The component listing shows this as the Left ECU. However, the diagram clearly shows a dual potentiometer on the throttle position sensor feeding the ECU. The dual potentiometer type is found only on the right bank. Another example: According to the engine diagrams, the HVAC compressor is hooked up to the left hand engine harness. However, the power relay for the compressor is hooked up to the right hand engine harness in the Engine Services diagram (which I've identified as right hand because it's hooked up to the fuses for the right hand bank)

I may have to dump this explanation because of the anomalies mentioned above.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would anyone have a photo of the 550 relay panel (taken from above). I'm trying to determine plug sizes and which plugs are used (so I can match them to the wiring diagrams). This is the only photo I could find of a 550 relay panel. It's difficult to see the arrangement of the plugs:

I believe that the configuration (but not all the wiring) is similar to the 456's.

Here is my theoretical 550 layout of the plugs based on photos of the 456 panel:

I'm not sure if plug "H" is used. "H" looks vacant in the photo.

Thanks!

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave

Attached Files:

24. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #49 ferraridriver, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    On the empty relay socket 30 in continuous with plug F4, 87 is continuous with plug G1
    Where these (F4 and G1) lead I have no idea.

"H" is vacant

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Dave!

I can't imagine the empty relay socket has any function, so the F4 and G1 wires probably have no external wires on them. The 456 relay panel has the same layout, but has a "day and night flashers" relay in that position. I guess the Maranello doesn't need this function?

Cheers