The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    looks like American knock off, which is what it is. so many vette design cues made mid engine.

davemqv likes this.
  2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    There are plenty of snowflake owners in the car world.

It's a fine car that raises the bar and those that think badge or big stickers makes them better people are expected to get upset since for them it is not about the car, it's about what they think the car says for them. You know, the money talks but has nothing to say for itself, crowd.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    I just thought I'd share some of the photos of the C8 mules now that the camo has come off. Seeing these cars in the wild is different from studio shots and, imo, more closely represents what these look like in real life. The saw-tooth panel line of the front hood is kinda cool. It's definitely evocative of the car's stealth fighter design origins.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Probably a repost but I haven't seen it here.

5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Lot's of very insecure feeling folks on this thread.
    New Vette is great looking and has unbelievable performance, it is the best bang for the Buck there is, anything else that wants to compete with it (as a performance car and not a restaurant/Starbucks/C&C/etc show off), costs multiple times as much.
    You want to pay 4 times as much for a little better leather (questionable) or "prestige" then be my guest.
    This car is a Jackpot, IMO.

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Wade, thanks for the Leno ink.

absent, I agree , it's a Jackpot.

I'm somewhat slow to accept new designs sometimes. But this is growing on me already. ... Except for the rear end. ... I am hoping for an aftermarket fix. I might even endeavor to do one myself.

Crazy though. To tear the back off a new car. Still, I'd bet people would prefer a different/better/more attractive rear end.

I can almost imagine the double takes. Then a slow knowing smile , as a realization occurs within the viewer.

In particular. I'd go round. And even the rear of the rear quarter panels, that are cut, to lead into the tail lights, would be treated like the F430 tail lights. So not even any panel cutting there. ... The exhaust pipes, I would treat as if they are two Lambo Aventador or Murcie exhausts. ... So, two pipes instead of four.

Just my ramblings. ... I wonder if I can order a car with "rear end delete" ?

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Agree rear is worst view. But how many cars look good all views? 458 is gorgeous but front looks like catfish mout w whiskers

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I put a deposit down on a Convertible.

jm2, 308 milano, absent and 1 other person like this.
  9. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Excellent! I'm sure you've seen a few pics making the rounds w/ aftermarket wheel treatment...amazing what a slight drop and wheels do for this car. Home run. Enjoy!

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I understand this point of view and I actually agree with it. I also think it sort of confirms some of the things that make me shy away from the brand.

I've already given my take on speed for speed's sake so no point reiterating that again.

I totally get that the Corvette is meant to represent America. Whether it's personal or a generational thing, that's more of a turn-off for me than a selling point. And at the same time I'd hope that people who are attracted by that association would hope for more than a blatant "borrowing" of existing European designs for this newest car when it comes to representing America. That seems a little lazy, which is hopefully not what any of us want to represent as a national identity.

The other thing is that to me "attainable" is a comfortable way of saying "consolation prize". A few people have hinted that I and maybe a few others are being snobby rich folks who look down our noses at anything that doesn't come from Italy or cost as much as a small house, but I don't think I am. I'm probably one of the less well to do members here, and I'm sure there are many electricians and plumbers who make more money than I do...certainly in NYC going by what I pay them! That said, and again this is just personal, I'd rather set a goal of acquiring my first choice through patience and hard work, rather than getting the "attainable" car at the local dealer tomorrow. That said, if the Corvette is your first choice for whatever reason, more power to you. These are just my opinions, I'm not trying to change anyone's point of view.

Finally, I agree. They are going to sell a "butt load" of these cars. Lol. I imagine that in a short time, what we colloquially call "Real America" as well as most of California will be riddled with these cars. All of America (except me I guess. lol) will finally be able to bond over at least one subject...the C8! So there you have it... Détente at last!

Happy motoring everybody. :)

Dr J and TomAZ like this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So this will be my second new Vette and if you buy both Italian exotics and Vettes, you see the difference right away.

For one, its a lot more hassle free with the Vette. Everything is less worry. Its easier to get one, easier on the pocketbook, easier to get in and out, easier to pay for maintenance, easier to get serviced, easier to insure, easier to put in gas, easier to just drive it anywhere, its even easier to get washed.

For another, the people who buy these things want to mod them like immediately where Ferrari people rarely do. First thing they want is wheels or performance upgrades and sometimes cosmetic. Ferrari people like them "as it left the factory". Corvette people are like "so what's the first mod you're going to do?"

The last thing is that everyone I showed off the car too said "so, I didn't know you retired!". It seems these things are some kind of signal that the person who bought it must be 65+ where the Ferrari was "so, when did you win the lottery?" The C8 may change that attitude as it seems more "Ferrari like".

I don't see this as a sports car at all. To me its a GT with the engine behind.

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    congrats. why convertible vs the targa? just curious.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Convertible. I don't like targa's. First they are just over glorified sunroofs. I really don't see the point.

Second, I don't care how easy it is its still a hassle. If I decide I want the top down on the freeway all I want to do is push a button. I don't want to pull over to the side of the road and take it off. And if I get to my destination I don't want the hassle of putting it back on.

Because of these things most targa's never come off. I bet I've seen 3 C7's driving in LA with the targa off since it was introduced. And C7's are everywhere.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    got it. should be very cool. looks like will be similar to 458 roof too which is a good design. what will your build be like?

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Most likely Z51 because I want the magnaride and Edif. Colors right now I'm leaning for silver or metallic gray. 2LT interior. I had the 3LT last time and I didn't see the big advantage. Some of it depends on the price of this stuff.

Its going to be a daily driver so I just want something to get around town or hit the highway. I'm never going to track it.

I really want to go on adventures with it. Pick a spot on the map and head there.

MalcQV likes this.
  16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I like this.
    Putting money where your mouth is........

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Rear of the car isn’t that bad IMO, but would have opted for round taillights.

19. fsprow

fsprow Rookie

Oct 21, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Sprow
    I have driven the C8 (industrial connection) and put it in a higher performance category from my (ex) 458. Terrific acceleration, steering feedback and at least lower speed handling - though the interior is not up to Ferrari standards. Try one when available, you may change your thinking.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I look at this C8 as a perfect example of how much Ferrari, Lambo, Audi etc over charge for their mid engined cars. This car is going shake up the exotic market quite heavily..why 300k, when 60k will do the same if not more?

APA#1, Golden Steed and AD211 like this.
  21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Hmmm, interesting to me how many people see things from a cost perspective only. I am a car guy, I like cars, I also am someone who does not care what something costs, it is about what it is worth to me on any given day. You would be surprised what happens to the value of a brand new car when you take it apart, but I have never cared and if I ever start to, my days of being Carnut are over. I have bought many cars without driving them, the 430, 4c, Evora 400, i8, Gran Turismo MC, 575, and a lot more. I am getting a C8 and I'm going to take it apart (just like I did with the 997S), and I'm going to build something that will be what I want it to be. I think lots of people here either don't want to admit (or don't realize they do this) that there are a lot of reasons people buy Ferrari' Lamborghinis, McLaren's etc. and they have nothing to do with performance, it purely emotional and ego drive. Since you can get the same performance for a lot less money. For those of you who only drive your cars on the street well unless your street look like Watkins Glen, you have no use for your exotic car. If you never take the traction control off, you probably have never experienced what your car is capable of either. I include myself in this, but my reasons have nothing to do with emotion or ego (I wish they did I'd be normal), they are about what can I do to this thing. I don't get the whole stereotype stupidity either, but that is another discussion. My first thought when I saw the C8 spec was how did they get the power to the ground to get under 3 seconds, the new design of the DCT, and what can be removed or replaced with lighter weight materials. That is what a Car person thinks about not about what it is going to be worth in three years. when people ask me that I tell them to buy a Jeep Wrangler you wont loose very much on one of those.

G. Pepper, willrace and jm2 like this.
  22. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I don't believe in wasting money.

I didn't get where I am without understanding the value of a dollar. I built my company from scratch. No inheritance, not government grants or contracts. Just an idea and a lot of hustle. So while I absolutely believe in enjoying the fruits of one's labor (you people who buy cars just to lock the in warehouses make me sick) it's against my principles to just throw money away for no good reason.

BJs and Michael Koors. You could buy a chick Prada or Gucci. But you know what? Most hawtness will be just as happy with Michael Koors. That MK logo costs a fraction of the others, and the BJs it gets you are just as wet and enthusiastic. So why burn the money gifting at the top of the price range when you can get the same value with MK? It's just logical. I suppose if you must have that toothpick from Milan who insists on such things to serve as your trophy piece, then I guess you have to spend the extra cash. But at the end of the day, the sorority pledging bubbly Iowa farm girl is probably more fun in the sack.

If the Corvette was objectively ugly (like the new Supra), I think you might have a point here. But it's not. It's at least as good looking as the latest Ferrari V8. With the upcoming Z models likely to be on par with Ferrari, it's questionable what you're really paying for. Yes, the word "Ferrari" gets you bragging rights and vagina tingles. If you're buying it as a status symbol, more power to you. I'll never deny a man whatever bait he uses to catch some trim. It's a big part of why I love the Portofino. But as an actual car, as a machine, as a tool to go fast, it's poor value proposition to drop the extra $200,000 on a Ferrari. Especially considering you could probably get LeFerrari performance out of the Vette with all that extra dough. As it stands, the Ferrari buy just seems wasteful.

And I don't believe in wasting money.

23. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Thecadster likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I like this car. The value to me is really off the charts. I wish GM every success on this car.

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As an AppleBees eating, flip phone using, Walmart-on-sale shopper, I am like in total agreement. Why waste money right? Clothes are clothes. Food is food. Why buy a shirt if its not torn? I wear my socks until they have two or three holes. Jeans... if you can't see the underwear.. you don't need to waste money on a new pair. And by new pair I mean $10-on-sale-last-year style old navy kind!

Only I disagree with the Sports car. It's wasting money to buy a sports car that only carries two people, gets crappy gas mileage (again wasting money), and might get you a ticket or two. Serious waste of money there! It's why I buy used merican' Chevy Aveo! Small engine gets great gas mileage, and as a plus they practically gave it to me off the lot as everyone else wants to waste money on a huge gas guzzling SUV!

Yessiree! I hate wasting money too! In fact, when I have a thermostat in each room that I turn down when I turn off the light!

davemqv and Solid State like this.