Dealer in Riverside CA charging $10,000 premium to order 2020 Corvette | FerrariChat

Dealer in Riverside CA charging $10,000 premium to order 2020 Corvette

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    As bad as that sounds, I don't think considering the overall price of some $50,000 it is that much of a penalty. If you own it for five years, that works out to $2,000 a year. Yet since it is a first year model it will always have some cache as the first year. Especially if you order a color that turns out to be rarely ordered, as what happened with the '06 Ford GT. Few wanted to pay the extra $13K for the Gulf paint job but now their cars are worth another $100,000 over the other '06s.
    Also considering the comparative costs of owning a mid engined Ferrari where it cost you several thousand to remove and reinstall the engine, $10,000 is chicken feed.
    I think this is the car that exposes how much more Ferrari dealers charge for things than they should; because some things on the Corvette will be cheap because it's a mass produced car. Even the engine will be available on the Camaro where the Ferrari has no comparison, no "cheap" car that has an engine that fits.
    I even think the new Corvette will make the restoration of old cars less attractive. Why buy something old (say the last two seat T-bird) when you have no guarantee they will go up in value, and the car may have 100,000 miles on it when you can get something brand new, and you are putting the miles on it, not someone else.

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Chevrolet should put an end to that. It will adversely impact them, already on Corvette Forum a few are saying they don't want to go to a dealership.

Having just bought a car, it's painful. So bad that I submitted and didn't even bother to fight. I didn't get ripped off, but I didn't get a deal (not that I should I have expected it).

Tesla's model is the way to go, and it will be that way in the future I am sure.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is the second example I've seen since the release. A dealer in AZ was asking $20K down and $20K premium. Most people who have ordered are saying MSRP is their understanding.

4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Reputable dealers are selling at MSRP.

You always get your whack job CA stealers, just move on no biggie.

carguyjohn350, VAF84 and mikelfrance like this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Word travels quickly these days. It won't last, and if by some foolish chance they persist, that particular dealership will sell very, very few.

6. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Well, it IS a free country....and that dealer is going to find out that IT IS A FREE COUNTRY. Offering a car like a Corvette 1/3rd over MSRP that they are going make as many as can be sold is a fools errand.

VAF84 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  7. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Not all that surprised, expected it to be actually higher.

Anyone remember when Chrysler dealers were getting 5k over list when the PT Cruiser was released? :confused:

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    As commented in another thread, the S2000 was up to 18K over list in 2000.

9. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I hate to compare but the MK5 Supra (new one) had an average mark up of $20,000 to $30,000 for the launch edition. It's a new norm that's taking place which really needs to stop but some people will pay anything for something they believe is iconic and want.

10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Holy cow, those guys (first Supra adopters) are going to have quite a shock in 3 years....

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I guess you gotta pay to play if you need to be the first guy on the block with the new... Corvette lol

There is a dealer by me with probably 70 Corvettes on the lot at any given time. Paying over MSRP for a car that will be on every corner is pretty dumb.

12. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Totally agree. I have been a Corvette owner and the downside was they are everywhere

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hey...at least they don't make you buy a Tahoe first. :D

LARRYH, Statler, Ak Jim and 3 others like this.
  14. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Oh, it won't be a surprise they fully understand what they are doing and why they are doing it. Most of the owners work or own some sort of aftermarket shop so it'll be used for development more-so then anything else until they are done with it. So, essentially it'll end up paying for itself.

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There are 30k markups on the Supra out there. Insane. I also think the C8 will massively impact those sales.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I did the Get In Line now option on the Corvette site. I was contacted the next day by the dealer I chose in Dallas, and he let me know they are getting 17 build spots in the first 90 days, and that I am #27 in line. He says there will be some bail out from the list, as people have put themselves on multiple lists, and may have some sticker shock once the pricing comes out. They will be selling the cars at MSRP, which was good news. Elkhart Lake Blue for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    LOVE the blue, and that metallic brown color. This will be a neat market to watch.

18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Congrats Phil!

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I put down a deposit at Criswell for a C8Vert. MSRP. Probably will get museum delivery and drive it cross country. Delivery maybe summer next year. I'm in no hurry.

I do agree there are people putting their names on multiple lists at different dealers. Hard to tell right now what the real demand is.

And there will be dealers who just want to order them for themselves and put them on the showroom floor selling way above MSRP.

Sort of a "drive it home today" premium. Most of these I guess will be standard non-Z51 cars with 2LT interiors.

LARRYH, Nativetroy and thecarreaper like this.
  20. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    The largest two dealers (by Corvette volume) will be getting about 1550 allocations and 1300 allocations in CY20. The one with 1300'ish allocation has 150 people on his list.

Chevy will pump as many of these things as possible out the door (they will be running two shifts in BG).

We'll see when my arrives but for price who cares (Z51 2LT).

thecarreaper likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Which dealers do 100+ Vette’s a month?

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not sure of the exact order but I believe Hendrick in Atlanta, Kerbeck in Atlantic city, Criswell in Maryland, and McMillan in NH are the 4 biggest in the USA. These guys do like half of all US sales.

LARRYH and thecarreaper like this.
  23. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Kerbeck, McMulkin

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Top Corvette dealers.

Kerbeck (largest Corvette dealer) has 300+ people with deposits already and that is sold out through Mar/Apr '20.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zcobra1 likes this.
  25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have a 78 SA and a 90 ZR1... this has been happening for 3 decades plus and you think GM should put a stop to it now ? LOL