Are artificial wet races a good idea to improve F1 excitement? | FerrariChat

Are artificial wet races a good idea to improve F1 excitement?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ferrariforevervp, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are artificial wet races a good idea to improve F1 excitement?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    80.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Hi all,

I suppose the majority of us think today's race is far from exciting. In fact, many races have become boring according to some people. Statistically I don't think the races are much more boring than those in the 80's or 90's, but our threshold of excitement has become much much higher than decades ago. Partly due to the digital revolution.

I really believe in one simple solution to improve the F1 excitement, also suggested by Bernie a few years ago: ADD SPRINKLERS FOR ARTIFICIAL WET RACEs!

Preferably not some random timing for the start of the artificial rain, but just the whole race in wet condition, or start in wet condition, and let it dry naturally through the race.

In dry conditions, car advantages are much more important than driver qualities. However, almost every wet race tends to be exciting, and driver input is much more important.

In wet, even the tracks that are nearly impossible to overtake like Monaco, Barcelona, and Zandvoort can become entertaining to watch!

We can start from 1 artificial wet race per season, and see how people react to it. If it's successful, then we can increase the number.

Do you see a downside of artificial wet races??

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think that Formula 1 is already "artificial" enough. You could get the same result reducing drastically the grip of the cars... but then people would complain about that they´re too slow.

E60 M5, SimCity3, william and 4 others like this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Only problem with this is Mercedes would be even further ahead....

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You are sort of on the right track, but it needs to be more extreme. Think Death Race.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why not just have them drive virtual cars on a computer screen?

TurboFreak650 and Nortonious like this.
  6. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    But don't let the TV audience know it's fake.

Actually, I suppose I have no proof the races I didn't attend ever happened.

FE is now Formula Existential

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Dear Mr. Excitement -

What do you have against oil slicks & black ice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    Yes, absolutely: they are ARTIFICIAL. It's a stunt, and it's not F1. I will not claim to know what should be done to make F1 exciting again, but I certainly do not believe that this idea makes any sense at all.

cairns, A348W and william like this.
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who said we don’t already live in a virtual simulation?

Nortonious likes this.
  10. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I respect everyone's opinion. I would argue that the whole letting a bunch of car race according to certain rules is an artificial event.
    The question is, do you want to see a race demonstrating more driver's skills or mainly the performance from the cars? Right now it's the latter.

11. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    If we want that a driver's skill makes more difference to the result. There are several options in my opinion:

1. The same car for everyone, this idea failed, see the A1 GP.
    2. Different cars but with reduced grip or more standardized parts. Still the best team will make the best cars, and one of their drivers will win.
    3. Less run-offs, make them grass/dirt. Drivers' skills would matter more to a certain degree. But cars' performance remains the dominating factor, see all the races before the Tilke designed tracks.
    4. Wet race. As proven in the past, those are often the most exciting races. The reason is not only the unpredictability of the rain, but mainly that mistakes can be made more often in wet races. We need those mistakes to make a race more exciting and to differentiate between good drivers and great drivers.

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Ok I’ll bite!!!!

Artificial rain, as others state, let’s just watch grand tourismo!!!!

If we want the drivers to drive then let’s get them to. Ban all traction control system/electronic driver aids. Ban automatic transmissions and make them Manuals with pedal clutches. Ban coms other than pit board! That will get the driver driving.

Now to make the cars exciting on the track. Let’s limit the number of aero surfaces on the car. Must be at least a 100 -200 plus on any one car. Let’s make it 20! And limit the overall cumulative size to say 1m2 Less reliance on clean air means they can get closer without lose of downforce!

Next; blind fold the stewards and put them in a dark room for the duration of the race. Any unsafe behaviour by the drivers they can sort it out themselves behind the pits after the race.

Make F1 tv free and available to everybody

Get the pit lane babes back.

Right; job done I reckon? Anything I missed?????

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Rallycross would be cheaper.

Nortonious likes this.
  14. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    No
    But I'd still like to see the loop de loop ala hot wheels
    Or perhaps the inverted tunnel section

Nortonious likes this.
  15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    10 psi in the tires would have the same effect. Equal to the pressure used by a few of the stewards.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

2 and 3 are OK with me.

We could also turn F1 into a handicap system, where point leaders start from the back after the first GP and the others in reverse order.
    We can't have weight penalties, since F1 cars are too sensitive.

Handicap worked very well in pre-war motor racing.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    [QUOTE="A348W, post: 146677305, member: 209422]Now to make the cars exciting on the track. Let’s limit the number of aero surfaces on the car. Must be at least a 100 -200 plus on any one car. Let’s make it 20! [/QUOTE]

Why not 4 ? front wing, rear wing, rear diffuser, coke-bottle rear end.

Or you could make it 20 but count the suspension a-arms in the total.

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It’s very simple, drop the hybrid **** that doesn’t even feature in 5% of roadcars these days in its most pathetic form, let alone high performance form, allow unlimited testing, no limits on the now much cheaper to produce NA engines, a format for which they can decide between v8 thru v12 (why not, road relevance is not required if they aren’t making f1 electric, that’s where the road is unfortunately headed), run whatever wings you like, but as testing is allowed, you won’t get much advantage as they’ll all be at it. Iron brakes - make them work the brakes properly.

Please note that the views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect nor imply that they are those of FChat or its affiliates. They are personal reflections only

Challenge likes this.
  19. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    After today's wet race, I still think artificial wet race would be a good idea for creating exciting races.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    No...artificially engineered situations mean absolutely zero.

lagunacc and LVP488 like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Trying to analyze today's reasons for making up an exciting race, I think the changing conditions were more important than only rain.
    So my guess is that the way to increase interest is to introduce more uncertainties.
    One way would be to allow more freedom to the teams - pit as many times as they want, select whatever tyres they want, and so on.
    The thing is that without external unexpected events the current rules make everything too predefined.

I'm 360 Canuck and Apollo 11 like this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Don't they already have that ?

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They need to go for two different types of tyres, so one pit stop is mandatory whatsoever; with the additional rule that the starting tyre is the one used to set the best time in Q2, it ends up with all the top teams having aligned strategies (they all start with the same tyre type - the one guaranteeing going to Q3 - and then since they need to put another tyre type next, there is not much room for creativity in terms of strategy).

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    From what we saw today sprinklers in the run off areas is the best idea.

No need to police track limits either this way

25. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Change the times of year for each race to least desireable season for conditions.

Malaysia during monsoon season. Australia and Texas in summer. Twice in England. Russia in winter.

william likes this.