360 - Aluminium door sill plate, where I can find one? | FerrariChat

360 Aluminium door sill plate, where I can find one?

Discussion in '360/430' started by billy.gif, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    My car has the optional factory leather / aluminium door sill. I can't explain the part but I'm N O T looking this part:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

But this inner (optional) part:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There's some soot there after a major overhaul of some parts. This copper paste + oil + grease + whatever mixture stains have been on that part for a while, +2 months. I tried to remove it by applying a brake cleaner and got almost nothing removed.

So is there anything else I can do?

I cannot even figure out the proper word / name for that part in order to search from ebay or such.

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    There is a video on youtube of a guy who cleaned his up with scotch-brite. But you have to re clear it afterwards.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A soft scotchbrite wheel on a drill might be worth a try, try a soft one first as you can always try a medium if it does not remove it.
    Is it stainless or aluminum ? If stainless try kitchen stainless cleaner, if aluminum be sure to avoid anything caustic as it will eat holes in it and lots of white fumes

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Was told the "Magic Eraser" product will work on removing scratches from titanium watch bands....might be worth it to try on aluminum. No chemicals, no odors, no debris...

5. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    You may also try a very fine sanding sponge. Sold at Home Depot. I’ve used them on stainless and aluminum brushed finished pieces and the results are excellent. Just be sure to go in straight strokes along the piece.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I would try sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner, seriously. It's a mild acid and works great at cleaning stainless.

7. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Bob BB has the best answer. But, I think a coarse Scotch Brite or foam rubber grit coated sanding block will work best. Fine will not match the original finish which is nothing more than SS or alum sanded with belt a sander. Nothing special about it.

BobBB likes this.
  8. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You might want to try backing soda and water. Make it into a past and rub it in with a cloth going with the grain. I used that on my stainless steel refrigerator door and it removed all the rust and made it look like new.