California or Aston Martin Vantage | FerrariChat

California or Aston Martin Vantage

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by sgferrari, Jul 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    I currently own a Cayenne Turbo and Panamera GTS. Looking for a sports car to add to the stable. Styling, exhaust note, handling, high quality finishes, powerful engine are the main criteria. Aston Martin Vantage (2011-2015) is an interesting candidate - that thing is beautiful, intoxicating exhaust note on both V8 and V12 engines, finishes are amazing. Tech is dated which I can live with. Wondering if you have cross shopped California (say 2013, 14 models), 458, Vantage and can share your experiences. thanks in advance!

2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I can come close, I guess--I owned a 2015 Vantage, traded it in on a new Portofino. You're right that the engine note (I had the V8) is incredible, and the car is classically beautiful. Are you looking for a manual? They're harder to find, and the sequential manual (that I had) isn't terrific. If you leave it in full manual mode and use the paddles, it's fine, although not as smooth or quick as the Ferrari DCT, but the Aston is basically unusable in "automatic" mode. I never used it that way. Even in full manual mode, you can't shift it like a DCT--you can't keep your foot clamped on the throttle and shift, you have to let up a little on the throttle as you flick the levers. Takes a little getting used to (and now I have to un-learn it!), but it works OK. Strongly suggest trying it before buying.

The Aston can fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk (if you put the driver in separately), and of course doesn't have rear seatlets. The steering is very nice (old fashioned hydraulic) and has a touch more feel than the Porto because of it, but I think the Porto is still excellent. Of course, the Cali won't have the Porto's steer by wire system. The Porto is much faster than the Aston and IMO handles a bit better as well. I know you say you can live with dated tech, but the Aston's ergonomics generally can't compare to the Porto's, even leaving the issue of things like Apple CarPlay aside.

Hope this helps a little. The Aston is gorgeous, no doubt about it.

3. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I owned an 08 and 09 V-8 Vantage coupes. The 08 was paddle shifters and I hated it so I found an 09 with manual 6 speed. Wonderful car! Like you said, the sound of their V-8 is intoxicating and the body style is also classic. I now have a 2014 California with HS Pkg and LOVE it! I like the fact that with a push of a button I can go from hard top coupe to great looking convertible. Best of both worlds! Aston can't do that. The Ferrari V-8 sound is different from the Aston but very cool in it's own way. The DCT on the Cali works great but there is no option for a manual as with the Aston. I do miss the involvement of having that stick in my hand but it depends upon how important that is to you. Overall, I prefer my Ferrari Cali-30 HS but either choice is First World Problems as both are wonderful machines.

Fireman1291 and MelbourneCarl like this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned a lot of cars, but never an AM, and it is not because I have not tried. They do look nice but as a drivers car, they just don't do it for me. I have driven pretty much every model from the Vantage to the DB11, and there are just too many other cars (like my AMG GTS), that are just so much better. I have a Calf T (modified to over 650hp), and am looking to add a 458 to my group. The 458 that is a completely different type of car, and Algar has a nice red one (I have had too many red Ferrari's) for sale right now. I have owned 43 Porsche's (have 4 now), and have own a Cayenne Turbo, and a Panamera (both long gone). I think the Evora 400 manual is a sports car (I loved mine), I also have a Maserati Gran Turismo MC, I would take that over an AM too. But as I have said many, many times, I see cars differently than other people, perhaps OP, you will like the AM.

smtrx and Chizz like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you want a sportscar and already have the GT cars, why would you add another GT? In your case I'd walk right past the Cali and Vantage, and look at the 458, which for all intended purposes is the sports car of the bunch.
    Yes the Cali is a Ferrari and all that, but it is still a fairly heavy Hector with not the best power-to-weight ratio. The construction is also quite flexy, so not as agile and sporty as the rest of the Ferrari lineup in this regard.
    In this regard the 458 is a car on a completely different level. A mid engined Ferrari is something very special and nothing else is like it.

If you are thinking sports car, but want to retain some GT sense of style. Why not an F12?

If you're worried about the space in the 458 for stuff like extended weekends away etc. don't be. It's incredible how much luggage can be fitted in the frunk of a 458 - plenty for two for a week away if you also use the space behind the seats.

tommygun64 and Chizz like this.
  6. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have had a California T and now a Portofino among other Ferrari’s. I recently leased a 2019 Vantage. Reason, I wanted a sports car to drive in the winters of Chicago ( with snow tires). Never had an Aston before but always liked the style. The Ferrari California T and Portofino blow the Aston away by all measures. Acceleration, handling, comfort, braking, sound etc.

If you really want a sports car to kick around and drive in Chicago like winter conditions go for the Aston. I never drove my California and will not drive my Portofino in the winter, too much salt, rocks etc but happy to drive a leased Vantage with snow tires in the winter.

Chizz and BOKE like this.
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I owned a California for 4 years and one of my closest friends has a Vantage which Ive driven a lot over the years. Id take a California any day over the Vantage, even though the Vantage is a great car. The California , to me, is just superior in every way except looks.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I agree..and love that your 'beater' is an Aston martin!

Federal man and wax like this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, I happen to have a dream of a Vantage V12S Roadster, which seems close to the only one with a V12 and cab which I like. The only thing that has stopped me so far is the fear of that gearbox. No I have never driven one, I guess I should before I say something. But then again I would use it only for crusing type of driving, no interest to push at all (got other cars for that), so would I suffer with the gearbox? I do not know, however the day a good used one surface in the 2nd hand marked I might find out...

Anyway, my money is on the Aston Martin, with minor reservation for the gearbox.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I have had many Ferraris over the years; including Mondials for their 2+2 room ("I'm 6'5") and luggage capacity (duffles in the vestigial rear seats). I currently have a 360 Spider which I have owned for 5+ years. I thought about upgrading to a California T, but I found the experience to be too refined. It moved fast; quick shifts; but it didn't move ME! I took the upgrade funds I set aside and after a long thoughtful search, chose a '09 DB9 Coupe. I tried the Vantage but like the increased luggage capacity of the rear seats of the DB9 and slightly bigger cockpit. It is a true GT car (cruise control yea!) that compliments the 360's sportiness. While I though the T would be an all in one car for me, I really like having both the Ferrari and Aston Martin; for different reasons. In answer to the OP's question; the Vantage is the sportier Aston and you do have a GT already. I'd vote for the Vantage in this poll. If you can get a V12 Vantage with a stick you might be in heaven.

anunakki likes this.
  11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Aston Martin V12 S with the dog-leg manual gearbox is a winner. A magnificent car of great character and involvement. Don't get the auto.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    AM GT8 manual is the tops. If you are in UK.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Isn’t there a thread on Fchat saying Aston Martin is going broke...again.

Piper likes this.
  14. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Aston Martin has always been going broke. But manages to stay alive and make great cars.

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Well, they make cars.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    There are a couple in Aspen. They get the attention they desrve. None.

17. dnk

dnk Rookie

Apr 18, 2017
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kim
    I owned 09 vantage V8 and i hated it. I sold mine in 6 months and changed it to F430. After that I traded F430 with California. AM vantage is such a beautiful car with very unique exhaust sound. However single clutch paddle shift in my car ruined the whole car experience. I am not sure if they have improved or changed gear to dual clutch these days. If not, I would avoid Vantage. My personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    The good news is that the new model has a proper modern dual clutch system. The bad news is that IMO the front of the new one looks like a deranged grouper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnk and Federal man like this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Conventional auto (ZF), not a DCT.

20. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Whoops, sorry, that’s correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk