458 or 488 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Most statistical polls are not even close to the truth , But boy oh boy if its in their favour you will see all the chest pumping.

Should have just been a poll who loves the 458. Without a significant pool of owners drawing any conclusion is superfluous.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    So you are the first to step up to a more meaningful conclusion. That's determining the pool to make any valid conclusion.

Or I like the 488 but stayed with the 458 because I couldn't afford it.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Didn’t understand your question or POV.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    This poll as all others past is basically let the 458 owners tell us why they love their car and all others are crap. I say enjoy , the 458 is a beautiful car , certainly better than the 430 it replace IMO. OH NO , I hope no one starts a poll which do you prefer the 430 or the 458.

Get it , you love it. But frankly in one ear and out the other.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having owned both, my POV and vote is relevant. Cheers.

xfrgtr likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    And that's what I said, it is.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That equals perfectly to saying that if a poll contradicts your personal beliefs and tastes, you’re going to disregard it and all the merits it may possess.

That’s why it’s my firm belief the market will sort this discussion out over time. In 10/15 years, you’ll see the discrepancy of value between 458 and 488 on the used market, a reflection of importance, desirability and yes, production numbers: although 458 was in production technically longer than the 488, Ferrari production output rose dramatically under Marchionne. It’s the 355 vs Modena affair all over again, and look at the prices today. Does anyone think a Modena will ever be worth more than a 355? And is anyone under the impression that a 488 will be worth more in 10/15 years’ time than a 458?

The problem is you’re linking what I’ve just said to how great each car is, which is a fallacy. The 488 isn’t less of a Ferrari because of this. And it also won’t be more universally loved, acclaimed and important as the 458. They aren’t equals and in many respects, their philosophy is opposite. Where they come together is that they’re both wonderful Ferraris and you should by what you like, and still have the power to reason with intelectual open mindedness. Not all that I own is what I prefer.

Kind regards,

Nuno

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is indeed the case. I have not been in the GTB, but I can attest that the 458 Spider and 488 Spider are worlds apart in this regard.

As I have mentioned before, look at it this way. The 458 Spider had to receive a much softer suspension setup than the Italia, as the shaky chassis could not cope with the Italia setup. By comparison, the 488 Spider got the exact same setup as the GTB as it proved stiff and responsive enough to utilize the GTB setup. The 488 Spider simply don't have the sensation of shaking aling and you're not chasing the steering column. And where the 458 Spider gets more and more "loose" in the fram as you continue to push it, the 488 Spider seems to hunker down and tense up. This is why I personally think it is so far ahead of the 458 Spider as a drivers car.

You should go to your dealer and test a 488 Spider for two hours. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.l despite the fact that it sounds different.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 seems to be one of the few recent model production cars where used prices have been going up, not down. That should tell you just about everything you need to know.

The 458 is a better car as far as value for money and overall enjoyment goes. I think it encompasses more of what a Ferrari should be, as compared to the 488.

Ray

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You have explained it better than I would. I just believe polls are useless. They are Ferrari's. I just hate when someone wants to flare up the whole debate again and again and again.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the flare is coming from you and your side - have you considered that?

xfrgtr and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Seriously ? I have said polls are useless. I believe You are the one that has started it all of, Again.

Cars like houses are liabilities. Being that I would rather live in the house I like and drive the car I like. That's it mate.

For the record the ITALIA is great. Full stop. I prefer the 488GTB and probably the Pista and F8. Time will tell.

Go start another thread why don't you ,

Speciale or 458 Italia

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you just dont stop. this thread wld have died 100 posts ago. it was a poll.

xfrgtr likes this.
  14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #214 PhilNotHill, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    I ordered an M3 convertible. When it came in the cowl shake was so bad l refused to take the car.

There is a spot near my house where the 458 spider always shakes a bit going about 30 mph. That’s the only place l notice it. I am pretty sensitive to cowl shake. No problems at the track...but l always have the top up.

Avia11, tekaefixe and dustman like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As a general and objective statement, that is simply not correct.

The 458 is not a better car than the 488. It's different, but not better.

Better value? Only if you get more enjoyment from it, and that is purely subjective and personal.

If the 458 suits you better, it's the better car for you, and better value for you. But that does not make it an absolute fact, and it is not the case for all of us.

Roland1688 and MANDALAY like this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Don't know why the 458 lovers just don't write IMO.

17. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    488: Better in every technological and performance oriented aspect, however more expensive. Exhaust sound isn’t the same as 458, however still a good sound by super car standards (looking at you Mclaren). Most likely to not hold value as well as the 458.

458: More visceral, cheaper price wise as well as likely to hold current value better compared to 488. Exhaust is intoxicating. Performance still very good but a step below the 488.

Looks are subjective, both are beautiful.

Both cars are great it all comes down to personal preference, and isn’t that what makes the supercar community great? Not everyone drives the same thing. Regardless of your preference it’s an awesome choice.

jomarti1 likes this.
  18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    #218 tekaefixe, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Here we go again, dear in this forum 90% of the users have the car they want! Money is not the big issue, uninteresting cars is.

xfrgtr likes this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    But everyone here knows this!! The 488 is the mists advanced car! And compared to a 650 the 488 shakes like the 458. And?!
    We buy what we like or not?!

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    And? Why do you say "and?"?

My post was an answer to a direct question from Nuno, he asked all whom have experience with both Spiders, not just you. So why do you attack my post as if it was an answer to a question nobody asked? I assume Nuno wants more than just your answer to his question.

21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Not attacking anyone but everyone knows the 488 is much more advanced in all the car metrics. It’s more recent that’s it.
    Just like I prefer the F8 to the 488 do you agree?

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So everybody prefers the 458, and it's better value for money because it's less expensive than a 488. While I tend to agree with the second term, I think it contradicts the first term. Why the hell would some people pay more for an inferior car?
    The reality of the market is not that the 458 is prefered to the 488.
    However I acknowledge that the market prefers the 458 Speciale to the 488, and that's reflected in the used car market prices - I can admit that even though personnally I prefer the 488 (and just like some prefering the 458 may not do it only because it's cheaper, I could have bought a Speciale instead of a 488 - and I still could buy one instead of the F8 I ordered).
    Individual opinions could be everywhere, not all cars are the same and not all people have the same expectations; but it's different to argue for one's opinion than to claim it's the common view.
    To me there are different questions:
    - what car do one prefer?
    - what is the market saying?
    The examples of 458 / 488 / Speciale show that these are not necessarily linked.
    (I also hate spiders btw, but I understand they could be popular ;) )

gh0st0 and MANDALAY like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This thread should be used in a freshman psychology lecture...:)
    Wait...ALL of FChat could be a whole course in a University psychology class!

Guy posts the simplest poll I have ever seen on FChat: 458 vs 488, and then OP states only, “curious.”
    458 has votes 3:1 over 488 for whatever reason, more love, more owners, more dreamers, looks, sounds, visceral, etc. no one knows, or can know...but poll isn’t about the reasons...just the preference.

488 people state the poll is meaningless BS, of no intellectual value or interest whatsoever, is a “458 appreciation thread,” there aren’t as many 488 owners on FChat to respond (we know this how?), 488 owners are out driving and enjoying their cars not being “keyboard warriors,” and on and on it goes.

What if there were a poll about Bugatti vs. Koenigsegg? And then said “curious.” It would be a simple question of which manufacturer’s cars do you prefer, not all this other BS. It isn’t the 458 lovers that have their nose out of joint here....

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Perception is personal - what I saw is rather 458 owners committing to the poll and claiming the results prove their cars have more value on all grounds...
    I thought my comments were trying to be rather sensible and based on actual facts, but I was certainly mistaken ;)

MANDALAY likes this.
  25. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    These guys give a reasonable assessment of the differences between the 2 cars.

xfrgtr likes this.