458 or 488 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Your comments, as are many others here, filled with assumptions.
    My point is...none here can make assertions based upon those assumptions.

All we "know" from a poll like this is:
    3:1 anonymous people on this subforum of a Ferrari enthusiast Chat site "prefers" the 458 to the 488.
    Nothing more...everything else said is an exercise in "psychology."

We don't know how many are owners, we don't know the ratio of 458:488 owners who read and respond to this subforum on a regular basis.
    We don't know the reasons why one might select a preference for one car over the other (there are a combination of ~ 1/2 dozen obvious contenders (beauty, sound, performance, cost, driving sensation, availability...and others for sure).

This is a Ferrari-enthusiast Chat site, this is the subforum for BOTH 458 and 488 enthusiasts to hang out, read, look at pictures, and if motivated vote in polls and post comments...and in that highly selected group of automotive enthusiasts in the World--the 458:488 preference ration is 3:1. Period.

Both cars are fabulous, and I have a lot of time in both.
    The F8 will be fabulous.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there was no malice behind my OP. fwiw i cant explain why but i think i prefer the pista to the speciale, probably because i rate the 458 so highly!

Roland1688 and xfrgtr like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Still you make eventually an assumption ;)
    "in that highly selected group of automotive enthusiasts in the World--the 458:488 preference ration is 3:1"
    No, the only fact is "in the sub-group of people who actually voted in this poll the 458:488 preference ration is 3:1 (110 to 36, slightly more than 3:1 to be completely specific) as of now".
    Of course all talks around the poll exceed the pure facts of the poll - if it's not wished, maybe there should be an option for having polls without comments.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Simple...just don’t read the comments.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The head of the Finance Dept in college told us: everyone has biases. It is important to know what your own biases are (many don’t) and it is important that those reading your analysis know what your biases are so they can more accurately evaluate your analysis.

My sports car biases:

Convertibles. Growing up it always seemed like we had a convertible in the garage. When we went on a Sunday drive or a drive in the mountains we always took the convertible if it was nice weather. When we went on long trips we took the Cadillac sedan. For me, driving a convertible is more sporting. I seem more in touch with the world around me. Feeling that air flow it seems like l am going faster than l really am. This has saved me from many traffic tickets as well as being more fun. The hard top feature is a must for me it’s like having two cars in one even though l drive with the top down 99% of the time. When l put the hard top up l don’t have to worry about someone sticking a knife in the canvass and getting into the car.

Sound. When l was 12 years old a Ferrari passed by. It was 1957. I don’t know what model it was but the sound was so glorius that l swore someday l would own a Ferrari. That happened when l was 56 years old. I bought an F355 GTS and put a Tubi exhaust on it. Many feel that model was one of the best sounding Ferraris ever made. My next Ferrari was a 360 Spider with a Tubi. Then a friend let me drive his ltalia. So l found a 458 Spider, pulled the lines to the muffler baffles and am in heaven.

Rear mid-engine. My first car was a Corvair Corsa. I just prefer how a rear mid-engined car handles. The active differential on the 458 makes the car feel like it pivots in the turns. Best handling Fcar l have ever owned. A true blast to drive in the mountains.

Looks. The F355 was the best looking Fcar in its day IMVHO. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. Then the 360 wowed me. But when the 458 came out it was so beautiful that l just couldn’t resist.

I am not saying my 458 Spider is the best car or the best Fcar. Just saying it is the best car for me. Ciao Bella.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    720s spider showed up Friday. Gotta say, it sounds every bit the 488. Not that this is a good thing, but away went the 488 sounds better than Mc story.

YEMV

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Let's get some pics. Enjoy her.

8. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Come on, review it for us!!
    How is the performance, comfort, agility, build quality and of course stiffness (reviewers say it’s not as stiff as the 650 Spider which is strange).
    And pics please!!;)

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #234 Eilig, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    I can confirm that fact.

I bought my Italia three years ago with 2k miles, one owner car. A friend bought his Italia last week, with 6k miles, one owner car. Both our cars are Rosso Corsa, neither has front end lift, both cars very similarly equipped, have MSRP with 2k of each other. He paid 5k more than I paid for mine three years ago. This is a meaningful comparative data point, because our cars are so closely matched.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    LOL...talk about splitting hairs!
    (Btw...it’s actually 113 to 37 now.....;))

xfrgtr likes this.
  11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    458 prices are remarkably strong even for early cars. Once I started looking in earnest even for a used one, I realized I could be cross-shopping 650S (no local dealer), Huracan or even a brand new Vantage, GT3, R8 V10, AMG GTR, etc.

tekaefixe likes this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That reminds me of this:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-slowest-depreciating-car.550027/

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Something they just don't get.

I just commented the poll , "EVEN CURIOUS" isn't accurate.

But out come the 458 owners and claim their cars are better ?

14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I don’t think anyone has actually said it’s better. They expressed their biased, personal opinion, as asked.

By the way, I prefer the 458 to the 488 and the 488 to the F8, the F8 being the “better” car of the three, so... It’s complicated.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

xfrgtr likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

This is the first time I have reacted to this 458 v 488 and it will be the last. Its so draining. Ill just assume they are making a biased comment on their car.

They are all great cars even the SF90 but alas the door shuts for me because there is no way known ill ever own a Hybrid Ferrari NO MATTER how good looking , fast or even cheap it is.

Thanks

Nuno

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Wait a minute- YOU bought a Mclaren?? Mr. sound bought a 720??? Wtf?? How did that happen? I thought you hated the sound of the McLarens???

Congrats but super confused here.

MANDALAY, sampelligrino and daflk like this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    On what basis do your prefer the 488 to the F8? Clearly not predicated on driving dynamics since you obviously have not driven the F8. What about the 488 would be preferrable? I personally cannot think of anything , subjectively or objectively, that make the 488 more desirable.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #243 AlfistaPortoghese, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    The only basis one has until seeing the car for real: design/looks.

You may have a girlfriend that is the greatest in bed, but if she looks and sounds like a horse, there’s not much point and/or a big part of the experience is lost.

As I’ve said before, I believe enjoying a car has to do with many different things: design, sound, ergonomics, power, handling, infotainment, etc. I don’t compartmentalize, so a faster, newer car for me personally, isn’t automatically a better car.

For instance, I believe a proper car is powered by fossil fuel. If not, it can’t be considered a car. Perhaps a post-car. I wouldn’t trade a 458 or a 488 for a LaFerrari, because it’s hybrid. I’m certified crazy, I know, you can let me have it. Let it rip. But at the end of the day, I wouldn’t dream of stating that a 458/488 is better than a LaFerrari, and I certainly wouldn’t try to convince you to follow my line of thinking.

I’m a staunch believer that not all of the good old days are nostalgic and magic, nor that a newly released product is always superior and better in every respect with regards to the product it replaces. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t. The point is to discuss our personal opinions and bias with sound arguments, so even if we agree to disagree, once the arguments were valid, we both learn from one another. I know I have in the past, namely when sometime ago I had my personal opinion backed by maths regarding constantly trading Ferraris and losing money, and after talking to a lot of members, I completely understood what they were saying and I know have a different approach and a more complete vision of the big picture.

But what are the second hand Ferrari market values if not the prevalence of a widespread personal preference, bias and belief? That’s why imho newer cars aren’t always worth more, however “better”. That’s why a 355 is worth more than a Modena in general, and lets say a manual Modena Spider is worth more than an F430 Coupe F1. It’s different, I know. But... It’s the reflection and the expression of personal preference, that leads to desirability and increased value.

The demerits that have been attributed to this poll, for the reasons stated above, are always interesting to debate, imvho. Don’t disregard the biased personal preference of people: we’re kidding ourselves if we think we only take 100% informed decisions and that we’re totally objective all the time, namely when it comes down to such an impulse, superfluous buy as an emotional and temperamental italian supercar.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    It’s for “access” ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not mine.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have only now stopped laughing about the horse in the bed comment. So you are saying, strictly based on appearance, which at this point in time is the only tangible factor available to the F8, you believe the 488 is more visually appealing than the F8. And all the objective improvements, of the F8 - power, areo dynamics, weight saving etc, still makes you believe the 488 is your preference? Sorry but no comprende.

22. Have you considered turning off the lights? And maybe some ear plugs?

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Not particularly proud of the metaphor I used, but you get the picture haha.

I understand and appreciate that the F8 is an evolution of the 488. But the 488 is already such a great machine, that talking about improvements to it, to me, is splitting hairs, namely when one factors in the cost of that upgrade. I mean, I have never heard a 488 owner say “I really miss some more power on this thing”, or “It handles ok, but there’s a lot of room to improve it, and it needs it”.

The 488’s design is an evolution from the 458: it sits aggressively on the road, beautiful lines, looks mean and quick even when parked on display at the dealer’s showroom. I can’t get past the F8’s rear (Corvette!) and the front is too roundish for my taste. I bet it will me much more impressive and striking live than in pictures, but still.., It’s a whole design approach/trend/philosophy that I don’t care much for. That’s a personal trait of mine, not a problem with the car or the brand. That’s why design-wise, I also prefer the edgy lines of the 348 and 355, and can’t get past the 360 or the F430. It seems there isn’t one straight line in all of the car’s design, and even if there was, on the whole, they’re not a thing of beauty as the two previous cars that preceded them (348/355) and that succeeded them (458/488).

For what it’s worth, I think the only spec that actually makes the F8 stand out head and shoulders, is yours: black on black, full carbon fiber interior. Can’t wait to see some pictures of that mean machine!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

[email protected] and pdxjim488 like this.
  24. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Yeah but when morning comes, my friend... No ear plugs will save you!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That is where you went wrong. She should not be there in the morning.

tekaefixe and AlfistaPortoghese like this.