The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #126 KC360 FL, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    None of my comments were meant to be disparaging. And I agree. I looked at a 360 6MT in Philly that was under 35K miles IIRC and it was a rat. My 911 with 50K was light years better condition inside and out. It took me over 6 months to find my car. And it checked every box for me. Records, mileage, condition inside and out, and color combo. If the C8 had been out I honestly would not have given it a second look. But that's just me.

I only meant to say that used Ferrari buyers are looking for different things than a Corvette buyer. One buyer is not "better" than the other. Up till now, Corvettes were front engine cars. And that may be what kept the used Ferrari crowd committed. The C8 is a nice design. I have admitted that. It's just not for me. But I will admit I will visit the local Chevy dealer to check it out.

Not to put to fine a point on it, I do think the 458 is also a beautiful design and had thought I may be ready to move up from my 360. But after driving the car, and I know this comes as a shock to most, I still prefer my 360. It has all the usable HP I could want in a road car. The analog gauges look correct and I connect with the car. It has all the tech I need to enhance the driving experience without getting in the way of my enjoyment and connection to the car. The 458 shifted faster, had more HP and of course looks amazing. But the screens on the dash, the electric e-brake, the push button to release the glove box all seemed so unnecessary and added to my disconnect with the car. So for this Ferrari owner it's not a matter of "higher standards" or "better taste". It just "fits" me.

All the best to you and enjoy the ride!

Regards, Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    From your posts, it feels so much like you are trying to justify your desire to purchase a new C8. Almost like you are not quite there, and there will continue to be a part of you that regrets not having the Ferrari in the garage, but if enough members of Ferrarichat concur with your viewpoint then it will be enough to nudge you over the top.

Every prior Porsche I've purchased as well as my current Ferrari have had a lower priced, better performing Corvette option available. And yet I've never purchased the Corvette. I agree that the new Corvette looks great in the renders and from certain angles from what we've seen in real life. I'm told that the interior is way nicer as well, but it still does not appeal to me. (Even if the materials have improved)

But in the end, purchasing one of these cars is not a cerebral exercise for me. I have no desire to sit in traffic every day in any of these cars. I drive it strictly for fun, and these purchases are entirely emotional for me. The Corvette has not, and unfortunately still does not stir that emotion in me. If you feel with looking at, sitting in and driving a Corvette the way I do with my Ferrari, then don't let anything stop you from buying it!!!!

Kevin

3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And to add... I traded my much beloved 911 for my 360 simply because the 911 didn't excite me like the 360 did and still does.

kes7u likes this.
  4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #129 Jason Crandall, Jul 26, 2019
    You sound like you’re agreeing with me. My point exactly. These aren’t F1 cars. They’re street cars. So how does the old fashioned stick shift make them better street cars? Wouldn’t Ferrari and Corvette offer stick shift as an option if it did?

5. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    #130 Lagunascorpio, Jul 26, 2019
    I appreciate the candor :)

I must admit It’s going to be very weird to finally stop raping my cars.com “favorite searches” button every few hours, and it’s also a little sad that my “Ferrari dream” is flickering out after haunting me for 2 decades, but at the same time I’m genuinely thrilled that this new option exists and fits my life perfectly as it is right now.

My biggest regret is how LONG the wait will likely be to have the car in my garage now that I’m fully resolved & committed.

Sure, if I become stupid rich in the next few years (possible, lol), I’ll acquire a hyper clean Scud or 458 Speciale, but mostly only because of the different & intoxicating SOUND they bring to the table.

I’ve only shared here to help illustrate one person’s perspective for why the 360/430 prices could potentially be impacted, per OP’s musing.

Happy to pour some top shelf Islay Scotch for any of you anytime regardless of whether or not you concur with my C8 viewpoint.

Bountiful times, friends

6. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Well, I guess I'm both a Corvette guy and a Ferrari guy each for different reasons. Not my quote but for rings true for me: "When I had a Corvette, I wanted a Ferrari. But when I had a Ferrari, I had a Ferrari". I envision my sentiment being true of enough others that both marques will stay on the same depreciation curves as today for largely the same set of reasons as today, by and large, even with what looks a great C8 offering.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’m not sure I get it then.
    To me, it’s a bit like a supermodel that I don’t find attractive. I mean, I can understand why others do, but for whatever reason, she doesn’t evoke any stirring in my loins.
    I like some things about the looks of the C8 (and hate others...why hasn’t Corvette been able to design a nice rear end in 10 years?). I get the performance pedigree, although it’s overkill for my purposes. The vette was always a great performer, making it mid engine, doesn’t address any real flaw or deficiency, imo. So, that alone doesn’t convert me.

I’m very curious and I’ll definitely keep an open mind to it, but I’m not feeling any lust for it at this time, TBH, over the years, there’s something about the Viper that did stir my loins, more than the same year vette, even though I knew the latter was likely the superior car. 911? Yes please. Lambo? Sign me up. Mclaren? Sure I’ll give it a go. Ford GT? Hell ya.
    As a former vette owner, I’m just not feeling it anymore, it’s not the car, it’s me. If I get rid of my 360, it won’t be because of a c8.

Apollo 11 and kes7u like this.
  8. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    I’m right there with you on that point, but there were enough other positives to offset.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Everything you said applies to regular Ferraris and even to the track focused ones so I don't get your point?

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive purchased a couple used Ferraris around the C8's price point and even though i like the C8 it wouldnt have been crossed shopped. People looking at 355/360/430s want to own something special. Something rare. Something Italian. We arent looking for peak performance. We arent looking for 0-60 times. Ee certainly arent looking for a maintenance free experience. The C8 seems like its going to be fantastic but its not going to tic the right boxes for those looking at 355/360/430s

Flea7, MalcQV, G. Pepper and 5 others like this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm buying a C8 convertible. I had an F430 spider and don't consider them even remotely the same. I loved my F430. After I got a 458 coupe I missed it.

But the C8 is just another car to me. Its not special. I'm sure it will be special to some but its like buying a Porsche Cayman. Does the Porsche Cayman effect F430 prices? I don't think so.

The choice was the Porsche or the C8 as a daily driver. Can anyone say I made the wrong choice? I don't think so.

Phil~, UrbanHero, brookliner7 and 2 others like this.
  12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    ^^^^^^ this.

Robb

13. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Honest question. Do people really think this is a great looking car, particularly from this viewpoint? Looks to me like quite a few unusual angles, and the rear air intake looks like a bolt on. If everyone else thinks this looks great, then I just need to accept the fact that I have bad taste, I suppose!!!!

Kevin

Caphill, Flea7, TheCook and 4 others like this.
  14. UrbanHero

UrbanHero Rookie

Apr 18, 2019
    New York Pothole City
    Full Name:
    M
    The c8 is nice, definitely a lot of car for 60k base... I'm happy Chevy is stepping up the game just like the Nissan GTR when it first came out.... competition only brings out the best!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. J30022

J30022 Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    I don't like every aspect but overall I am impressed. Apparently, they're almost sold out after only being launched 10 days ago so guessing a lot of people like what they see.
    https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-c8-corvette-is-almost-sold-out-1836786827

Lagunascorpio likes this.
  16. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Another not so pretty angle of the car in that article, though.

Buying the performance and accepting the looks??

Kevin

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think it is in the fact that there is more to do when you are in regular driving conditions, like traffic and speed limits etc. The stick driver takes pride in otherwise mundane events; like a smooth application of power through some gear changes from a traffic stop, they "earned it". The "skills" are something to be pursued and offer rewards of satisfaction and mastery of the machine. I like rev matching events too and being "engaged" to the changing conditions like coasting to a decision area where a gear choice needs to be made, then skip shifting and being ready for the smooth application of power again. All this enjoyment can be done around the posted speed limits too! I think the difference is in ones perception of what "sports car" means. To me there is more "sport" in a gated car.

People spending new money want performance. Then there's the manufacturing gains of not needing to design or install linkages, routings or various bulkhead penetrations. That leaves more room to do other things that they need to do to make the car fit the performance envelope. The good thing is that we can still have a choice but we are watching that time go away and are now limited to the secondary market only for sports cars.

18. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If the demand was there for the enjoyment you describe, Corvette and 488 would be available in stick shift.

19. gearheaddroppings

Jul 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tom Veselenak
    #145 gearheaddroppings, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Well, I'm brand new to this board and this thread is right up my alley. I currently own two Corvettes, a C6 manual I bought new and a 1970 I restored (frame off) a few years ago.

I have always wanted a Ferrari. I am 51 and like many of you, I had that iconic poster of a BB512 on my dorm room wall in college. My absolute favorite car of all time will ALWAYS be a 1985 288 GTO.

I now can afford a used f430 or even a 458 if get one on the lower part of the market. I have been busy learning the weak points of these models, the cracking exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, differences between the 360/430 motors, etc. I honestly think I am fairly well educated.

I knew the C8 was coming out. Living in the Detroit area, I've been hearing about it from intoxicated engineers for years and they have been telling me how much of a "game changer" this car was going to be.

I finally saw the car yesterday, and it is a pretty nice looking automobile I must say. I am not a huge fan of the rear end (like the C7) but they nailed the front and side view as well as the interior IMHO.

The C8 will be as common as a Hellcat in this town (and others) in one year. They will be everywhere and when the Z06 is announced, used base models will be for sale at deep discounts. Kerbeck will start discounting them by the beginning of 2021 and employee/supplier pricing will kick in. I've seen it happen with three generations of Corvettes by now. This model will exceed 40k units for 2020 IMHO and could even get into 1984 sales territory (50k units).

As for my view on the effects on used 360/430 pricing, I think the C8 intro will drive them down even more. I can see very nice f430's coming down 10-15K in the next year. I do think that some in my boat will jump to the C8 due to some of the downright nightmarish upkeep stories of a used Ferrari.

I'm still up in the air. I am torn between the exclusivity of a Ferrari and the ease of maintenance on a Corvette. If I angle towards a 430, I am going to need a new driveway apron just to clear the nose while the C8 has a pretty nice lift option. There is just a practicality to Corvettes that make them really easy to own. As for the F cars, they are a some of the most beautiful automobiles ever made and the sound of those glorious V8's is intoxicating but the fear of a connecting rod letting go (and the accompanying bill) sends shivers down my spine.

Its a tough decision to make and I am truly blessed to even have the choice!

greg328, F456 V12, UrbanHero and 3 others like this.
  20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One time on a trip with a 911, I broke a clutch cable in Stamford, CT. and drove from there to Orlando, FL without a clutch. At the time, there were 11 toll booths to cross. I had to stop at each one. That was something.

greg328 likes this.
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It looks very awkward from every angle IMO. Seems I have bad taste as well :)

kes7u likes this.
  22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yeah the first thing I’d do if I bought one is to remove that stupid fish emblem on the rear deck lid!

23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I came from Corvettes myself, I’ve owned a F430 for just about 5 years now. Most of the “nightmarish” maintenance stories are embellished or they were cars that were not properly maintained. I do my annual services with a great independent mech in town and I’ve yet to exceed 2K in annual services, last year was $681. I’ve grown to enjoy the car so much I’ll be spending 3x more than a new C8 on a new F8 order. Good luck in your next car acquisition.....

KC360 FL likes this.
  24. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    While the C8 looks like it has great promise one thing I can guarantee it will not have and many other exotic brands haven’t done. Is the specialness that the Ferrari gives, it just feels alive when you drive it and is never boring. I am sure the C8 will drive very well and destroy it in performance numbers but it will not replicate the feeling of a Ferrari. So while some may choose to have a C8 over the 430 that’s great but don’t think it’s a one to one replacement on emotion. The maintenance nightmares are also embellished. I was worried as well reading all the nightmare scenarios but my car has been nothing but great in over the two years I’ve owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC360 FL likes this.