Jealousy and rude on roads. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Jealousy and rude on roads.

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2bf360, Dec 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I had a Tesla cruising next to me on the freeway once. He kept on accelerating and decelerating a few times to show how quick the Tesla can be. After a few minutes of this, he suddenly backed off. I'm guessing he's trying to preserve his battery so that he can get to his destination. LOL!

Alan004, Kitchdog, Oengus and 3 others like this.
  2. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    It'd make a good Top Gear race... start with a Tesla with dead battery and an M3 with empty fuel tank, fill/charge enough for one circuit and then complete it.

timjen88 likes this.
  3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    haha! Teslas are overrated aren't they? Here's another story ...
    A Tesla was next to me on a stop light. The guy rolls down his window and said, "How 'bout a race? First one that reaches the next light wins!"
    I said, "Sure, let's make it 3 out of 5." By the look on his face, he probably didn't have a full charge on his battery. LOL!

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I got flipped the finger once for no reason from an angry young guy. But that was once in 7 years of otherwise positive comments and gestures. Reminds me of a builder friend who had a 10k Mercedes and wasn't getting much work. He switched to a 50k pickup, no more problems. Peoples perception is funny. Plenty of cars on the road worth more than my Ferrari that don't even get a second look.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have a Gregio Ferro 612 OTO and seldom get noticed except by folks who really “car people” so I can’t really recall a negative reaction while driving that car. Usually those folks will nod or a thumbs up. Only occasionally when filling up will some guy ask is that car really a Ferrari. If they appear sincere I give them a simple Yes. If they seem to be jerks looking for a hassle I tell them it is Mustang with special badging and they seem to be happy to have known the car was a fraud and leave me alone.

To avoid conflict on the freeway in around LA area, when traffic is heavy moving very slowly I stay mainly in the slow lane as all lanes are moving about as slowly so it really doesn7 much matter. I let anyone cut in front of me as they are usually exiting the freeway. When traffic is moving I am in the fast lane usually setting a rapid pace but not doing much lane changing unless the guy ahead is driving way slow and just pass quickly on the right with no fan fair or rapid lane changes. I have no problem with anything passing me but they need to be moving at a very rapid clip. I actually like to have some bright colored Mustang, Dodge or Camero blow by at 90+ to make my pace look slow and they can clear out any chips ahead for me. This driving style seems not to be conspicuous and not get other drivers irritated as the LA area has very aggressive drivers many of which are not so competent so defensive driving is a real necessity. I pretty much driven he 930 and 997.2 TS the same but both of those cars get notices way more than the 612.

Alan004 likes this.
  6. OneFastM3

OneFastM3 Rookie

Nov 5, 2006
    As someone else said I think it depends where you are. I feel like nobody notices my car in Miami which I really like. It probably helps that it’s white. When I picked it up at the dealer outside of Chicago it got s lot of attention but nothing since getting to Miami.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Poor people hate rich people. (some, not all)

This is not news, and is not limited to what kind of car you drive.

Has been the same pretty much for all of human history.

MalcQV, timjen88 and LP360 like this.
  8. Jaldo

Jaldo Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Northeast U.S.
    And that's another reason why I carry concealed!

E60 M5 likes this.
  9. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    So true. If only most people knew the sweat and tears went into finally owning one! Green eyed monsters are everywhere, I had it in the first few weeks of getting my 458. The glares, the toxic comments. Never had anything thrown st me yet thank god but had a scary moment when I drove past a pub and stopped at a stop sign. An incredibly intoxicated and bitter looking man ran out of the pub holding a bottle of bud stood in front of the car foaming at the mouth arms flailing and shouting incoherent obscenities. My only thoughts were if her throws the bottle at me it’s going to hurt and how do I get out of here. Luckily he moved to approach the drivers door and I hit the pedal with him chasing me down the road. Scary moment. I avoid that road at all cost now. I always try to remind myself that you can’t put yourself in someone’s shoes so do not really know what they are going through in life. Try to stay humble though it’s hard to project that in a 200k piece of metal that costs as much as Someones house. I personally avoid going through or to places where I suspect i would get the wrong attention and I always park at a spot where I can eyeball the car from the restaurant. Otherwise I cannot enjoy the food with constant worry that some prat is venting his spleen over my car.

MalcQV likes this.
  10. Targaflorio0199

Targaflorio0199 Karting

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Targa
    Was given a wanker symbol by a guy in a pick-up truck recently.

I took it as "Great.....I've finally arrived in life" lol

HIO Silver, Alan004 and Hypek9 like this.
  11. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    I get that daily, mainly by white van driver. The same ones that try to run me off my bike when out cycling

12. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K
    Hey guys,

I was googling jealousy on the road and came across your forum. I do not own a Ferrari. I do however own one of the last new Lancer Evolution MR's.
    Unfortunately 4 days ago I was waiting to turn left from a QFC where I had just picked up some groceries and there was one car in front of me. Once the lights turned green at the main junction the car ahead turned left and joined the flow of traffic, then it was my turn. As I started to move forward, this idiot in his white Toyota pick up truck pulled out from behind me on the drivers side and cut directly in front of me turning right. I slammed the brakes on but it was too late. I watched in horror as he purposely tried to ram the front of my car as he drove by. Because I had stopped sooner than he expected he nicked the front air damn and grazed the front bumper, but enough to snap the clips holding every thing in place and smashing the front splitter. Then he just drove off down the street. I lost it. I. really. Lost. It. I set off in pursuit and red lined every gear until I passing him. Then I cut sharply in at 45 degrees and slammed the brakes on stopping this SOB in his tracks.
    We both got out and exchanged pleasantries. I said "All you had to do was wait 15 seconds and this would not have happened. What the F*%ck is wrong with you people? You have no patience!" His reply? "That's right ass h*le, welcome to the greatest country on earth!"

I called 911 and then he pulled around me and drove off. I got snaps of his plate and gave his description and plate number to the dispatcher. The Police got him about two miles away and pulled him over.
    30 minutes later a patrol car pulls up and the officer comes over. "Man, he is real piece of work". You obviously got him then.. "Yes sir we did, but we certainly got a mouth full. Unfortunately because this happened on private property there is not much we can do".

I was trying so desperately hard to keep my car pristine and almost new and that vanished in a heart beat. It's going into the highest quality repair shop in the area that is OEM certified. Once it's been repaired I feel the need to put it away indefinitely. Sadly its not the first time I have had to deal with this. I have been given the finger, cut up, tail gated and at one point passed by a Mustang on I5 S doing close to 120mph. He cut in front of the Evo with inches to spare. The worst part? My 8 year old daughter in the back seat. I was doing 65.

Owning a fast car is becoming a liability. If any thing happened to my daughter because of this I would never forgive my self.
    The thought of putting it away into storage indefinitely may be the only option. Then resort to driving mundane but none disrupt cross over.

Apollo 11 and MalcQV like this.
  13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry that happened. Yes, these days, any nice car puts a target on your back. Lots of jerks out there.

The only way we win is to be happy when you know they’re not. Bumpers can be repaired much easier than bitterness.

Cheers

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I got flipped off not 10 minutes into ownership of my 360...that was 5 years ago and it hasn't happened since. A smile or a nod goes a long way with those types. I think people hate a guy in a sweet car acting, whether on purpose or not, like a snob. I always look around, smile and nod and it seems to help. Hard to be a hater at someone smiling at you from a nice car and the babes love it. Cheers!

Walt Gamble and Alan004 like this.
  15. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K
    Yes, you are all correct. I do my upmost to be pleasant. If some one let's me in I wave. I always try to make eye contact and smile.

I lived in the UK for 25 years and can not recall any of this behavior. Those were different times in the 80s and 90s. I did a lot of advanced driving courses with the UK Police Road Traffic officers and the HPC Club over there. It was wonderful fun and incredibly insightful. Sadly, I don't remember that my training covered any thing like this. I shall be fine. The car will be fixed and I will keep smiling.

On another topic.. and I am just throwing this out there.. I flew to Denver to pick this car up sight unseen two years ago. Never driven one, never sat in one. Just rolled the dice and pulled the trigger. Bought a one way ticket out there. I then took an epic 4 day drive back to Seattle on the smallest and twistiest roads I could find through Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. It was epic. I found gas stations from the 50s. Beautiful farm land for miles. Most of the drive I was the only one of the road.. for hundreds of miles. The most epic driving roads and un patrolled.
    So.. perhaps next summer, if any one is interested... how about a little adventure for a week? Only three rules. No interstates, no highways and no convoys. Pick your car, pack a bag for week and lets see what open road brings. What say you?

16. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Man....!!! can imagine what you went through and is tough and ....how is your car the Looks...? is your car heavy modified ....body kits ...race kits or any thing may suggests you car is ready to race ....any race stickers on your car ...
    Lancer Evolution MR's. is a well know car ....
    Show us your car photo ..we can feedback you

17. DanielDaniel

DanielDaniel Rookie

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    New

Man....!!! can imagine what you went through and is tough and ....how is your car the Looks...? is your car heavy modified ....body kits ...race kits or any thing may suggests you car is ready to race ....any race stickers on your car ...
    Lancer Evolution MR's. is a well know car ....
    Show us your car photo ..we can feedback you

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    We get tailgated, finger up etc in the UK now. You're probably right in that 25+ years ago it was not as bad. A lot of road rage comes from overcrowded roads I think. I do remember a Disney cartoon starring Goofy as a motorists. Probably from the late 60's? Anyway it was funny but very much to the point. I think it started in the USA before it did here.

19. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K

Sorry to disappoint but sadly no. Not much in the way of modification. The goal is to keep it stock. The only modification I allowed my self were the Eibach Loweing Kit used on the FQ400 Evo X's from the UK, and the Excalibur Alloys from Italy. The rest is all pure home grown homogenized Mitsubishi through and through.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I’ve had my 360 spider for about 6 months now. It’s Rosa Corsa, so it stands out. I have had mostly positive interactions with other motorists. Thumbs up, asking questions about it, etc. But this past Saturday, I went to pick up my lunch at Chipotle. I parked where there were very few cars in the parking lot and parked within the line. I was walking to the restaurant and out of at corner of my eye noticed a car pulling up alongside of me. I looked and this lady start yelling at me about my fancy car. I tried to ask what her problem was, but she kept moving along, yelling while look at me through her rear view mirror. I was going to ask if she also does this with Mercedes, BMW or Porsche drivers. Is it jealousy? I just don’t get it.

21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am up for that drive. We did the mountain passes of California a year ago. My friend in his Cayman GTS and my 430 6-speed spider. Unbelievable roads, little traffic, and miles of fresh pavement

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K

Sweet! Best news I have had all day. Let's co ordinate early spring. I will start to look at routes, possible way points and some nice digs for the evenings. It's more fun when you can debrief over drinks at the bar after every day's adventures with friends than sit there alone with a grin on your face and a scotch. People look at you and wonder what you just did.

23. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K

I am sorry you had that. I really am. Why gives her the right to yell at you? You didn't do any thing.

Although your incident reminded me of the day I went into Home Depot. I parked the Evo back in the lumber pick up supply section, away from where most every one else was. I remembered some kid in a wreck of car tailing me in the whole way for over half a mile. I noticed him circling then parking a slot away from my car. I had an uneasy feeling, but ignored it.
    I came out about 30 minutes later with my supplies... and on the windscreen was smeared what looked like some one's half sandwich. Like it had been thrown hard at my car. It was disgusting. I went back into home depot, got some towels from the mens room, one soaked in water and spent 10 minutes cleaning if off the windscreen.

Why do they do these things? Rage, frustration, spite. I am at a loss to explain any of it.

24. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Your story brought forth a big smile as I had a similar experience. In a Mercedes SUV, I took a lengthy trip from Albuquerque to San Antonio and then to Corpus Christi. The first stop was to visit the Alamo and the second was to see the USS Lexington . From Corpus, I hopped along the Gulf Coast from Houston (USS Texas) to Mobile (USS Alabama). I crossed through the Florida panhandle to Charleston (USS Yorktown), then on to Wilmington (USS North Carolina ). My penultimate stop was in Norfolk (USS Wisconsin). My warship tour ended in Washington where my Mother and two brothers resided.

The trip was a blast. I made no advanced reservations for hotels or anything. I would find an appropriate motel to establish base camp for visiting the ships. I met a lot of fine folks. For example, I met a crewman from the USS North Carolina who was on deck when the ship was torpedoed by a Japanese sub while operating in the Pacific during WW II. He was blown across the deck by the blast but otherwise uninjured. He took me on a guided tour of the inside of a 16" gun turret from the keel to the gun house. Wow. This was a dream come true. The following day was Memorial day and remembrances were held on the ship. I sat on a 40 mm gun at the stern to listen to the various speakers and the Marine Band that was assembled on the aft 16" gun turret. On the Wisconsin, I was assisted by a crewman to raise the American flag on the stern after a rain storm.

I stayed at these base camps for variable times. For example, I rented a house on Dauphin Island a for a week as my base camp to visit the USS Alabama. As I was communicating via email to my wife and family, the week on the beach allowed me to catch up with documenting my experiences. What a surprise I had when I learned that there was to be a Civil War reenactment of the Battle of Mobile the week I was there. The period costumes of the men and women and canyon fire from the fort and the ships in the inlet was something to behold both visually and aurally.

My warship tour was completely unscripted, and it could not have been better. The weather was fantastic. On the few rainy days when I was aboard a battleship, I could feel what it was like to serve on these ships.

I spent six weeks on the road. Except for using the Interstate to cross Florida, my travel took place using US or state highways. This gave me the feeling that I was not just crossing the land but living the culture of where I was at any given time. It was an unbelievably superb experience.

I will think about the offer you have made.

Jim

Way2fast and BrettC like this.
  25. Alan004

Alan004 Rookie

Oct 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alan K
    Jim, your journey to see those ships sounds pretty epic. So glad to see I am no the only one who does spur of the moment things.

I cant promise you we will be seeing any battle ships along the way. Maybe a few combine harvesters or Massey Ferguson tractors from time to time.
    When I was crosing the border from Wyoming into Idaho. I was flying up this glorious road that dived into a rock filled canyon. I crested the hill dropping down the other side.. the view was like a painting. It was late afternoon.. maybe 4 or 5 pm. The sun was low over the horizon. Fields of honey colored wheat and barely. The road dropped down about 40 degree decline and swung hard left about 1000 feet ahead of me. All I could see were rolling hills, a massive combine harvester in the field below and a white farm house off in the distance. It was truly beautiful. I was torn.. stop and take in the view.. or line up for the apex, while down shifting ready to pour on the power and sling shot out of the apex. It was tragic and beautiful at the same time.

I called a friend of mine before arriving home. He suggested I swing by as he wanted to see the car and help me clean it. After 4 days of driving across country, the front was... well it looked like a cross between an insect research lab and a manure truck. I spent 2 hours picking the most extensive cross section of insect life out of the intercooler with wooden skewers and tweezers. It was being back in biology class again. I found pieces of straw in places you should never find them on a car. The inside wheel arches smelled like a dairy at Smith Brothers Farms.

So, a warning to all who want to venture forth. Be prepared for the cars to get dirty. The fun comes at a price.