488 - Ferrari service puts 184Miles on 18 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari service puts 184Miles on 18 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Michaelw488, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I would be extremely pissed.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Indeed it does seem excessive, but until you hear from the official dealer, it’s hard to judge. They may have been testing different things and not done 184mi in one go, but still...

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  3. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    That's exactly what I was thinking....3 hours of wheel time.

Cannot think of anything that would require more than a few miles to sort out. Even if it were emissions they could fix the problem and let the owner see if a light came back on.

paulchua and galt like this.
  4. TJspyder

TJspyder Rookie

May 31, 2005
    San Francsico, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Which dealership?

paulchua likes this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Guys, I'm not making excuses for them, but I've had emissions computers needing as much as 250- yes 250- miles of driving before it clears. Worst of all, some of them seem to work that they want continuous driving. What if they drove 60 miles and it didn't clear and then they went out again for 70 miles, it didn't clear, etc... The difference- in the past when this has happened the dealers I've had experience ask me to do the driving.

DRYHOLE, paulchua, daytona355 and 4 others like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha thats 2 years worth of driving for some of my cars lol!

7. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Dealer says mileage entry was typo error,I will never forget to take a pic of odometer,they had the vehicle 7 days & still 2 things for second time in to be repaired were not done & the car was returned filthy! I am extremely grateful to be in the position to own this type of vehicle,& really anal in the way I take care of it. I am on vacation now and I don’t want to ruin this time for my wife so I need to let this go until I get home I’m going to go to the dealer and will see how they respond until then I won’t be posting on this subject thanks to all u guys, your feedback is taken seriously.

davemqv, paulchua, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Interesting to see what mileage was indeed added to the car, if 184mi is a typo.

In any case, don’t let it ruin your holidays. Hope everything works out for you.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Now that is funny :)

ttforcefed likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What kind of car needs 250 miles?
    I don’t want to advocate the following as it’s illegal but there are plenty of shops (I know of at least 2 in San Jose,CA) who will
    Graciously pass ur car for $450... and lots of Ferrari guys use them bc they have no cats and can’t be bothered to put them back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    As mentioned I always take a photo of the odometer on any car I drop off anywhere...picture has a date/time stamp.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    my 599 needed it- my first 430 needed something similar... so did my 550.... but now we're veering OT- Im really sorry to read about the OP story.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I would be Pista offa.

Actually l just like to say Pista offa. :)

14. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I would be bothered as well. Yes, 184 miles is absolutely extreme under any circumstances. That literally is a road trip to different states in the US. I would absolutely call the service manager first and find out what the heck happened. Then I would contact the owner of the dealership. You are right to be upset. Even delivery miles only reach 50 max. No question there is a joy ride in there. If there was a major problem they would have called you. There should be a free service in it for you or free merchandise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilNotHill likes this.
  15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Shades of Ferris Bueller’s Day off.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's a good point. A thread like this came up about a year ago and a Ferrari mechanic here responded that he had put a couple hours on a car chasing down a leak that only happened during a good drive. Has to be repeated after the attempted fix. If not fully successful then repeat. If I recall correctly, the owner commented that he was not bothered by it and just glad it was fixed correctly. Not sure a Ferrari dealership really thinks a production car is special enough to risk joy riding. They see a lot of cars in a week and some of them quite special.

davemqv, AClark and Caeruleus11 like this.
  17. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    For whats its worth Ferrari put more than 300 miles on my car chasing and fixing the brakes on my 488. I thought it was excessive but let it go as the car was "fixed", ultimately the brakes failed completely later.

18. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Yea, if it was really necessary to drive the car for 3 hours they would be happy to charge you labor for that!

Without the "charge" for that it is almost an admission of a joyride...

Clay512TR likes this.
  19. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    If Ferrari needed to put the miles on the car....I would want them to ask me to do so as I would want the car to be driven by me. If I drive it at least I know how it was driven by me. Who knows how these other guys will drive your car. Plus you get to enjoy the car an extra 184miles. I'd run errands all day with it lol.

Clay512TR likes this.
  20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I complained to Mercedes that my car had a weird clutch sound and the behaviour of the clutch pedal was erratic.

Mercedes road tested it for 53 miles. 184 is very steep indeed.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

paulchua likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so whats the score?

paulchua and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    This happens among dealers more than it should. Problem with Ferrari is the lack of alternate dealers nearby. Among my group this behavior is automatic grounds for termination.

There is no reason for that many miles, unless you had an entire engine or transmission replacement.

of2worlds and galt like this.
  23. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Well sounds like lie #1... You have period that it was not a typo .. The ground they are on is now even more shaky than before.

In addition they have agreed that 184 is too much by implication...

I would give them a chance.. But if they don't take responsibility and do the right thing by you I hope your name them so others can avoid them..

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    My Huracan Performante had a rattle that I took in for repair. The dealership could not duplicate and kept calling me worried about extra miles. I said, drive the sucker until the noise is identified and fixed. Took 4 separate drives totaling over 50 miles. They were in constant communication. That’s how mileage should be handled.

25. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id let this one slide but as was said, make sure you take pics of OD next time

TheMayor and Cigarzman like this.