Hazard Warning Lights On Constantly | FerrariChat

Hazard Warning Lights On Constantly

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ryzo575, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryzo575

Ryzo575 Rookie

Mar 18, 2014
    Dubai
    Hi guys,

Trying to get to the bottom of this one & just wondering if anyone's had the same issue.

2003 575M, had it off the road for 2 years. All was ok before i covered it up but having one small gremlin now where the hazard warning lights are constantly flashing when driving the car.

I changed the car battery & key fob battery, done all the fluids etc & the car is running fine, just constantly flashing the hazards. Checked the hazard switch & it seems to be ok & doesn't have any shorts or wiring issues to the hazard light switch.

I'm wondering if there's any intialisations or possible key fob / immobiliser / alarm fault that someones maybe seen before like this. Trying to rule out all the simple stuff before going to a workshop.

Thanks.

2. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    I had it on my 550 and reset it on the inertial switch (press the top), light went off. Not sure of 575M if they are the same.

Regards

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Inertial switch:

See Item 11

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/575m/rear-passengers-compartment-control-stations.html

If that doesn't work...
    Have you tried pulling the turn/hazard module out of its socket? Not sure about the 575 specifically, but the immobiliser on a lot of Ferraris is hooked up directly to the turn indication wiring. i.e. it doesn't tell the hazard/turn module to turn on the lights. If you pull the turn/hazard module out of its socket and the lights stop flashing, you know it's not an immobiliser problem (on these kinds of Ferraris). Note however that the alarm system may use the hazard system fuse for power for turning on the lights.

See item 34

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-seat/575m/front-passengers-compartment-control-stations.html

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Where is this on the 550? I can see it on the Ricambi diagram, but I am still not clear where I would find it on my car if I needed to do so. Thanks.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps not the inertia switch... The inertia switch is supposed to stop the fuel pumps running, not just turn on the hazards.

Location on the 550....

308 GTB likes this.
  6. Ryzo575

Ryzo575 Rookie

Mar 18, 2014
    Dubai
    Thanks for all the tips guys, i'll start with the easy jobs 1st which looks like checking the interial switch.

Looks like from the diagrams its in the boot down in the corner under some trims, or when it says rear passenger compartment does it mean behind the front seats?

Thanks

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Its either going to be

1. Harzard warning switch somehow shorted to ground. Unplug the switch to test this and use a multmeter on the wiring (which you've already ruled out).
    2. Indicator Relay has an issue.
    3. Immobilizer has a fault.

I've seen this exact circumstance before when the internal relay within the immobilizer unit fails.

Its normally used when you blip the key fob to flash the hazards as a visual cue. If its failed or failing (its soldered on to the circuit board) then you will need to get access to the immobilizer and I can then tell you which pins to take out of the connector to test if that's the issue. Obviously if you remove just the wires its only to test the theory. You would still need to either cut the tracks or de-solder the offending relay off the circuit board or it could overheat and it will continue to drain battery.

Chances are if one has failed the rest are not that far behind.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you can't find it, pull the turn/hazard module. If no change, it will tell you the immobiliser is causing the problem. If the blinking stops, it must be your hazard switch. Unless the 575 is wired significantly different from the 550, I can't see the inertia switch causing the problem. The inertia switch is designed to stop the fuel pumps running.

308 GTB likes this.
  9. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    In my case, I hit a pothole badly and hazard light came on suddently. No matter what I do, it didn't go off but I can still drive it without any fuel cut out. Someone told me to reset the inertial switch and everything went back to normal. The inertial switch is the first thing to try.

I have another issue lately with my car which maybe someone here can advise me what to do. My steering wheel feels very light and after 120km the steering wheel vibrates. I have done wheel balancing but the vibration still there. Anyone had this issue and can share the experience?

Regards

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I wonder if this is another case of the 550 wiring diagrams lying to us? :p I'll add a note to my wiring diagram stating this anomaly. Thanks, guys. It's interesting to note that the guy in the video did call it a "fuel inertia switch". The plug, however, looks like it has 6 terminals and only 3 wires on it.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/Ferrari550/Ferrari_550_Engine_Service_&_HVAC.gif

Ryzo, if you find the inertia switch, can you tell me how many wires are on it and what the colours are? Thanks.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    LJT- Sounds like you have too little toe-in on the front suspension. Lowering toe-in is great for turning in, but really bad for straight line stability, especially at higher speeds.

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou.