348 - Lime Rock Park Weekend, 348 can handle the HEAT! | FerrariChat

348 Lime Rock Park Weekend, 348 can handle the HEAT!

Discussion in '348/355' started by rvp325, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    With soaring temps -- HEATWAVE -- engulfing the Northeast, I was nervous to drive my 93' 348 TS Speciale to Lime Rock Park from NJ (2.5 hours) for the Northeast IMSA Grand Prix.

Success! Stretches of great highway and country switchbacks. Ripping betweens gears 3-5, not a blip on the engine or oil temp gauges. Fitted the car with new BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 treads a week ago, and they were predictable and smooth. Even the occasional dirt and gravel wasn't a problem. Topped off with 1/4 quart of Mobil 1 0w-40 before heading home to keep oil levels just under max. All in all, drove about 300 miles this weekend in the searing heat...she, the 348, did wonderfully.

To my knowledge, the only 348 at Lime Rock. Very few F-cars in general (loads of Porsches, Vettes, etc), so driving the 348 made for some great conversation. Even met a nice guy, FChat member, "PCARCRAIG" at the infield parking. Nice pic of a father and his three boys admiring the wheels attached.

My 9 yo son, Rafael, was my co-pilot. Did me the favor of keeping the CDs in rotation: Air Supply, Christoper Cross, Michael McDonald...nothing beats Yacht Rock in the summer. He did ask for the A/C at one point, but I said, "Best we not tax the car too much...A/C blows cold...would like to keep it that way!".

Until next time...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

pcarcraig, rob, Jasonberkeley and 7 others like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    good times! Sounds like a great time!

308 GTB and rvp325 like this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Sounds like you had a great time at Lime Rock Park, Rahul. I'll be there with FCA-ESR in a couple of weeks.

348s and F355s are hot weather resistant if they're set up properly. We had 93 degrees days when we were at LRP last year. My temperature gauges stayed in the normal range both days while on the track...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and rvp325 like this.
  4. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    That’s so cool man! Your ride is awesome. I’ll plan on FCA meet soon. Maybe we’ll run into each other

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    93 is COOL weather 105 still no issue on the track

my 348 been in bumper to bumper close to 108 for hours just a few drops of oil after 4 hours :)

ernie likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    FCA-ESR will be there August 2nd and 3rd. It's not too late to register and get your car out on the track.

rvp325 likes this.
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I used the left and right cooling fan override switch both days while on the track. That's nice to have on hot days.

8. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Got plans rest of my summer weekends but thx for heads up Appreciate the invite

9. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    THIS type of trip is what your son will remember for all his days. And you for yours!

We often forget our cars are made to be driven and driven hard, even in heat extremes. Granted, we as caregivers do need to maintain them properly and are sometimes vexed at what that entails.

I imagine, even though Enzo frowned on our cars back in the day, he has to have a smile on his face for continuing the story and legacy of Ferrari.

Thanks for sharing and long live the 348!

Oh .. and love the grate delete...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

vdettore and 308 GTB like this.
  10. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul

Yes!!! It’s all about creating memories man! No doubt! Appreciate the well wishes brotha!

vdettore likes this.
  11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Case in point.. my youngest used to ride with me on every trip until she turned 15.. then I had to beg her to come with... this is one of my favorite photos - in think she was about 9-10.

My eldest came with me 2 years ago and although hard to see.. she's there beside me. I almost lost them both last year in a horrible traffic accident - so these shots and all the others i have are awesome memories of our time together and along with the car, make me smile every time I walk into the garage

I have these shots in the garage with other memorabilia.

Cherish the time we have as it can be taken in an instant. Build those memories... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    WOW, these are great family pics :) Sorry to hear about the "accident". All the more salient we live and enjoy with family. It's not the cars, per se, or the things or vacations in and of themselves...but rather how we use them as a means to create memories with those that we care about. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and story with me. That pic with your younger daughter is adorable :)

dahveedem likes this.
  13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Didnt mean to hijack your post with my own story. But posts like yours remind me why we as caregivers to these cars need to post these things. We need to find future caregivers to these cars. I hope your son carries that torch.

rvp325 likes this.
  14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Take my word for it, you would have had a heck of a lot more fun with 18 inch wheels and tires - get a set of 355 or 360 wheels. I have them on my SS.

15. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Curious/ OP-RVP - is your car driving better-worse-same after your LRP weekend? Not a trick question... I'm genuinely interested to hear your response for my own 355 plans the balance of this summer. 1mo left....

16. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Oh believe me man...been thinking about this for a while already...just love the classic 348 rims (for the time being) ;)

17. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    Joe1973,

So...my trip to LRP that weekend was successful -- no difference really -- so I returned the FOLLOWING weekend with my wife for a winery tour that is within 20 min of LRP in Millbrook NY. Same route, probably even more driving. Drove the car as a DD for the next two working days upon returning after the weekend...then car sat for 4 days while we were on family vacation this week...came back late last night, fired her up @ 7 am this morning to go play tennis.

Basically, since I've had the car, it's been a DD. I drive it frequently. I don't redline it and I'm not aggressive. Upon starting it, I let it idle for a few minutes and then I'm off. I will probably not take it to work next couple of days but by Wednesday, it'll be a commuter for the day etc.

All I can say is: so far, so good. I wish you the same enjoyment.

Dolcevita likes this.
  18. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Thanks RVP. Sounds like you have a solid driver! I may take a drive as well to Lime Rock - for the Historic racing or some other excuse.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rvp325 and 308 GTB like this.
  19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The FCA-ESR Lime Rock Park HPDE event this past Friday and Saturday was fun. We did have a bit of rain Saturday afternoon.

They had a "Taste of the Track" session on Saturday where drivers with no past track experience took their cars out on the track for 30 minutes free of charge for FCA members. Qualified instructors were provided for each of the 20 or so who participated.

I hope you both can make it up to Lime Rock next year where FCA-ESR will run the same Taste of the Track session.

20. rvp325

rvp325 Karting

Apr 30, 2019
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Rahul
    DUDE!!!! Taste of the Track sounds awesome!!!

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    They all pitted in smiling, Rahul.

rvp325 likes this.
  22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed