Purchased and waiting to ship '78 GTS. | FerrariChat

Purchased and waiting to ship '78 GTS.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dane, Jul 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    It's been 15 years or so since I last owned a 308. If you research my and others' posts, you'll find that my last 308 was stolen, crushed into a police cruiser and then ended up in this idiot, Jesse James' hands only to have been made into a pasta maker for his stupid show. Devastating for me and for the previous owners who cared for her.

Fast forward 15 years. I've retired from the military and from law enforcement. Yes, both! I'm now an airline pilot. I was on a layover in St Louis. I was walking back from Walmart, don't judge me, to the hotel when I ran into a restoration business. Several vintage Corvette's, Jaguar's, Porsche's and Triumph's adorned the massive shop.

Being a car geek but in shorts and t-shirt with Walmart food bags, I walked in, asked if I could look around...found this 78 GTS. Made an offer. Countered and finally accepted. Fantastic sales manager and business owner. Just great guys. She ships tomorrow. Dream come true. Thanks for reading. Dane
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    dude, awesome

Dane and absostone like this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    front of car looks better than factory by far. Nice Enjoy

Dane likes this.
  4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wow I think I remember you from way back when. Did you have a blue carb 308 that you bought from Forza?

Dane likes this.
  5. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Thanks guys very much.

And yes, Rob, I did have that car. Total seller remorse. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I won’t make that mistake, again.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man, who would have thought you would end buying a Ferrari Coming from Wal Mart.:)

27811 and Dane like this.
  7. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    And I wonder why the shop manager didn’t believe me, “No, really. I fly jets. Is the 308 for sale?”

Shop manager calls security for delusional trespasser.

meantestarossa and miketuason like this.
  8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I love the front! It wouldn’t pass an inspection in many jurisdictions but looks like a futuristic concept car from the 70’s.

9. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    I live in Montana, USA, so I don't know what a stringent inspection entails! The front blinkers are actually visible so she's legal in that regard!

Attached Files:

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dane I know a guy name Kim that has a 308 also and he lives there in MONTANA, you guys should get together.

11. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    My problem is I work 650 miles away from home running a gas plant for / Whiting petroleum. My commute is equivalent to driving to Los Angeles every month. Spend very little time at home and when I am home I don’t want to leave LOL I did however pass through Belgrade/ Bozeman last week going to pick up our side-by-side with snow plow so my wife has someway to get The suburban to the main road this year while I am away. That said, we are still 200 miles apart as I live on the west shore of Flathead Lake. Anyway, very Big congrats on your 308!

12. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Did I hear correctly many years ago that Montana has no speed limits as long as the law considers you're driving within your and your cars limits.

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    It used to be what they called “reasonable and proper” but I believe those days are gone.

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I remember during that time staying the weekend at Fairmont hot Springs, leaving around 8 AM one beautiful morning and coming upon a highway patrolman with his lights on and pulled over was a red 308 GTB. LOL had to be well over 100 mph to be pulled over during those days.

15. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    I had to go back and watch that Monster Garage episode. What a mess! I don’t know what was the bigger train wreck - that poor, mangled Ferrari, or Jesse James’ “acting.” I think the latter. Currently residing in the “where are they now” file.

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Great story, I may have missed a bit but where does the pasta come out?? ;-)

17. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Congrats! Looks very clean. What’s the story on the front end? Interesting modification. Aesthetically pretty neat.

18. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Hey all,
    I appreciate all the comments. She arrived yesterday. I fell asleep in a garage chair at around midnight....yes, nerd I am. Spent today detailing and generally obsessing as we do.
    She started right up but the battery needs replaced. I have one ready to go as I knew it was an issue.
    I still have questions about the choke and will do my due diligence in researching before posing already answered questions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob and miketuason like this.
  19. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Big congrats! Take good care of her and guarantee she will return the favor. :)

Dane likes this.
  20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Cool story !! Keep us posted on your new love affair , reminds me of when I first bought my 328 , that was a long time ago . The 308 still to this day can match any new F CAr when it comes to its timeless design.

Dane likes this.