430 - Steering a little loose and clunky | FerrariChat

430 Steering a little loose and clunky

Discussion in '360/430' started by fstbiker, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    My F430 steering seems a little loose more than normal, front wheels seem to clunky going over small bumps and driving. Im not getting any loud clicking noise. Jacked up each side and when putting hand on the 12 & 6 o'clock position, it seems solid . At the 9 & 3 o'clock some small clicking and side to side play coming from inside the car after the rubber boot. Is this normal for a 430? Any suggestions of just leave it as is?

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Ball joints of tie rods are the usual suspects. Also there is a spline nut under the column that can be tightened if there is play there. I decided my 430's steering was a bit to loose so I dug into the trunk till I found the rack and tightened up the backlash which firmed it up nicely.

3. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    How much did you tighten it? Seems like my play in when pushing side to side on the tire at the 9&3 o’clock position. The play and the clicking is coming from under the steering wheel, on the steering column.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    3 to 9 movement on the front wheels is generally track rod ends worn- simple diy job and fit hill engineering stainless bits.
    The clunk going over bumps sounds more like upper ball joints- you need to use a pinch bar to check for movement- again hill engineering stainless bits.

5. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    What's the best way to test the play? I just jacked it up and moved the tire at the 9 & 3 position. I'm getting play, but when doing this and looking under the steering wheel the steering column is the source of the play. How can I have the steering wheel not move when I test for the play? Just don't want to throw parts at t.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #6 mike32, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Jack one side up and disconnect the track rod end, it is one long allen screw- this will let you feel the track rod end for play without altering the track rod setting. Have a look on Eurospares uk for the steering diagrams and it will give you a better understanding.
    You need to eliminate these as if the wear is in the steering rack you are into expensive stuff.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Only a little. If you go too far the steering will stiffen up and wont self center.