Thoughts On Pagani | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thoughts On Pagani

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Rossocorsa1, Nov 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Now back to Pagani.
    Huayra owner 'THEKING' has over 20,000 (or is it 30k?) on his car. He drives that car EVERYWHERE, all over the world.
    He can do that because his car has a proven, RELIABLE engine.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    They continue to make very interesting cars. I would call them more works of art. While the overall designs are subjectively appealing (I personally don’t care for the exterior designs), I do love their use if materials. I also think their interiors are beautiful. Still, they farm out their engines. Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t ever consider an automotive exotic car brand truly whole unless they design, develop and build their own power plants. It’s just too big a part of the scenario. Light switches? Sure. Hose clamps? Fine. Engines? No.

https://blog.dupontregistry.com/pagani/pagani-huayra-bc-roadster-teased/?utm_source=blog.dupontregistry.com&utm_campaign=015eac6e2d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_11_21_08_26_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_86a5b00c55-015eac6e2d-5935885&goal=0_86a5b00c55-015eac6e2d-5935885

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    not a huge fan but I do appreciate his cars. don't like amg turbo motor and styling is over done to me. like Versace in fashion. bordering on tacky.

4. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have it on good authority that Zonda will never get show and display. We’re going to have to wait 25 years on this side of the pond.

5. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive seen several paganis at car shows in usa. how does that work?

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have owned #geminiuno from new, it was the 2015 Geneva show car. Dealing directly with the founder and creator was and is an amazing experience. Unlike anything I have experienced with Ferrari and Porsche.

The car is bursting with passion and inspiration and you feel it when you look at it and you feel it when you drive it. I am not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t like about the exterior or interior design. Personally I love it.

Regarding the engine, the only reason I bought a Pagani in the first place is because AMG were providing the engine. A tiny manufacturer can’t spend the hundreds of millions of dollars to develop an engine. I feel confident I could drive my Huayra 300,000 miles if I could (I will try). The car has been bullet-proof mechanically since day one. Many other high end manufactures of luxury goods assemble their products using the work of others. For example Patek Phillips only recently started making in-house movements, Richard Mille uses many suppliers too. Even Ferrari outsources many of the systems in their cars.

About a month ago I had a lovely morning drive with two friends, one in a Huayra BC, the other in a Huayra Roadster and I drove my coupe. It was a glorious morning and we parked the cars in a line as we ate our breakfast sandwiches and we and others admired the cars. When I got home I sent Horacio Pagani an email with some pictures, copying my friends on the email, thanking him for creating these amazing machines. He sent me an impassioned, eloquent reply, where he spoke of his motivation to keep going and how the passion of the owners fuels his desire to keep going. Were it not for the respect of his privacy I would post the reply here. It was beautifully written. Who are you emailing at Ferrari or Porsche?

As far as the driving, the experience is special, the sounds dramatic. Is my GT2RS faster? Probably, but that’s not the point. The Huayra replacement is already under way and will be amazing. Likely offered with paddle and stick and possibly an all electric option.

The bottom line is that my Huayra it is the most special modern car I own by far. I’m part of the Pagani family and that’s exactly where I want to be.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ktu, Skyler, red27 and 11 others like this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    They were imported illegally and risk being impounded and potentially even destroyed. If you Zonda owners are reading I would personally do a little less posting on social media!!

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My son and I were privately hosted last week at the factory by Francesco (many thanks to my dealer for arranging it). What a great experience and the whole operation is truly artistic as is the product. I am not a potential customer but if I could , I would. We did see Mr Pagani discussing with probably clients over the front end of one of the units on the floor. All of the models on the floor were a sight to see. I especially like the blue colored carbon fiber which it looks like you own. Very nice.

Best,
    Al

roma1280 likes this.
  9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

In the end, it's all about the passion an owner feels for the car and you clearly have it, which is great. As I stated in my opening of this thread, I love the "idea" of Pagani. The fact that they are made by hand. The fact that you can email the owner. The fact that it is so unique. Again, I just wish the designs, while being very unique, are more appealing. Even if they just did something with the headlights. The interiors are remarkable, however. And, sorry, I can't get past the engine topic. Highly refined works of art that go nicely, yes. But developing their own engines would be a game changer. It would place them in a special realm because they took the whole package to another level.

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I personally love them, true works of art inside and out. I would own one if I could afford it.

roma1280 and Boomhauer like this.
  11. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Pagani used to go to the Nurburgring for records. But not anymore. That worries me. Does it mean that they don't care about the performance anymore? Maybe now they only care about the hundreds of millions of Euros they're getting from their extremely wealthy clients? :(

12. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I’m a Pagani owner and I could care less if the latest Pagani is faster or slower than some other new car. There is no street car in the world that can keep up with my race car. That’s what I drive for performance. I don't wear a mechanical watch for its accuracy either. It’s about owning something beautiful made by people that are passionate about what they do.

My Huayra is so fast and so powerful that you can’t use 1/4 of its performance legally on the road and you shouldn’t drive it on a track imho because it is not kitted out with all the safety features that a track car needs. So we are so way past caring about performance.

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Roadster BC

roma1280 likes this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ykes. That's the Phillip Plein version? So gaudy.

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    "Gaudy" is too harsh, over the top certainly but that's what these cars are all about anyway, they are not built to beat the Ring records or races, they are a statement, lifestyle and automotive art, not everyone's cup of tea but serve the purpose and I am glad they exist.

carguyjohn350, Boomhauer and BJK like this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Supposedly last iteration of Huayra model. (We'll see) like endless 'special' editions of Bugatti Veyron.

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My comment was for that specific one. Some Paganis are beautiful. I agree that they are a statement to their individual owners. There is a beautiful dark red roadster that to me is very classy.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    You've missed my point. Zonda held some records at the Nurburgring once. But what about the Huayra? How many records does it have? Zero. Everything about the Huayra is so mysterious. Not even Pagani knows its actual 0-60 times. And since you're an owner, do you know how fast it is? Surely, you've driven it. But have ever tested the car at a track or at a dragstrip using equipment like Vbox?

And as an owner, don't you think people like me and millions of other Pagani enthusiasts need to know more about the car? Why does everything has to be so secret? If they're so passionate about it, then they shouldn't so secretive about it. It only makes them look more devious.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’m sure the car performs brilliantly but they’re currently not known for that, and I don’t think their clientele is obsessed with that. They are all about beauty, quality, materials and the visceral experience. It would seem that they deliver on that perfectly. Im not a candidate for one, but that’s my perception.

I love the whole idea of Pagani. I do hope their next car has better exterior design - a whole new, brilliant look. And, though I highly doubt this will happen, it would be great if the company evolved and really developed their own engine. I know some say that doesn’t matter to them, but if they ever do develop their own engine, those same people will love the fact that the company evolved into a full automotive experience.

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

The whole performance thing has reached a point where it's impossible to find out and be satisfied unless you conduct a test on the same day with all different cars and on same tires, and do so on a variety of tracks - if you want to find out how fast each car is compared to a yardstick - say a 991 cup car.

Otherwise, there will always be the "Yeah but..tires were not the same, weather was not the same, driver was not the same, track was not the same etc.."

The Zonda that had a Nring record was a track car. And it didnt last. So it's not like Pagani has a history of lap records. They are plenty fast on the track for what they are and for their owners who most of the time own a cup/challenge/gt3 car for when they want to go to the track. Pagani understood this and probably decided it was not worth chasing the 0.1s diff for the 1% who will track their Pagani in anger.

0-60s also are dead. When a $50k tesla can keep up with a $2m car up to 60mph, then what's the point?

tritone, JCR, BJK and 2 others like this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #46 BJK, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  22. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    So I missed your point but you think the point of a Pagani is to take it to a drag strip? Pretty sure it’s not me missing the point!

Boomhauer and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  23. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    You're missing my point and I'm missing your point so fair enough. But,

It can't even beat a 918 around a track. Let alone a GT2RS. I don't think the BC could do it either.

24. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Let me have one more try. There is a mechanical watch made by Patek Philippe called the 5074p. It has a perpetual calendar (will tell you the day and date correctly including on leap years) and a minute repeater (will tell you the time using chimes). The watch is currently worth about $600,000. Why do people buy a $600,000 watch? They buy it because it is beautifully made, it took skill and required incredible attention to detail. It’s an object of beauty and to own it is something special. You are wearing it one day and a guy comes running up to you and says “the millions of people that don’t own that watch need to know how accurate it is compared to a Casio G shock. “ The answer could be “I’m sure the G shock is more accurate but I don’t care. That’s not why I bought it.”
    Do you see the parallel with taking a Pagani to a “drag strip”? No Pagani owner cares about performance. The performance is way more than you can use on the road. If I wanted a car that was fast in a straight line I would have bought the (awesome) Dodge Challenger Hellcat which costs $68,000.

Skyler, Nativetroy, JCR and 2 others like this.
  25. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    #50 Dilusha, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    I agree. I'm sure it's a good car. But is it as fast as they've advertised it? I don't think so. Ever since that highly controversial Top Gear lap they did in 2012, they haven't let any one else to test their car. Why?

But they did test the original coupe and the Huayra BC at the Nurburgring. In 2016 Huayra BC was seen at the ring pushing hard possibly for a record. Many were expecting a 918 Spyder beating record from Pagani. But sadly nothing came out of the ring.

Huayra BC was developed alongside a Porsche 918 Spyder. And that was Horacio's own blue 918 Spyder. His idea was to prove that his new hardcore Huayra with less weight and less power with RWD could beat the fastest car at that time, the AWD 918 Spyder.

Let me quote some of Horacio's own words from an interview that was taken back in 2014.

The journalist asks, "What’s the philosophy behind the Huayra?"
    And Horacio responds, "It’s a road car that is very capable on the track. Like Porsche says, if a car goes well at the Ring, it goes well everywhere. We’ve held various records at the Nürburgring Nordschleife with Zonda models for 11 years. And we’re headed to the track soon with the Huayra."

So, what happened? We'll never know I guess. And I even emailed Pagani to get some information. But they told me that was classified information and only Pagani clients could know. Funny, huh? :p