Heresy... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Heresy...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Jul 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    White seems to be the best color for showing off all the new lines.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Hmmmm... Michael has pretty good taste...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Might just get one - but ONLY after some real life data comes in. I’d worry that chevy’s first mid engine will overheat. From what I see, not a lot of ventilation on the back.

3. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I like subtle cars, that then blow the doors off of everything around. Good for GM to have almost sold out if the first year of production.

Imaging the fun the aftermarket will have with this

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Here's the thing with the vette. Its a fast car, and for years has been a fast car, but they have also been cheap cars. The Me vette will be faster vette, it will be a better vette, but at a base of 60k its still has some cheap car bones.

I love subra wrx's and I think the civic type R is possibly the most fun new road car you can buy, but it still feels like what it is, a cheap car. A porche Gt4 feels like a quality piece and most of the bits that go into it are quality pieces, thats how it feels to drive, and for road its more than fast enough.

Part of what makes a 911 work is its shape is well reckognised and ubiquitous while still having somehting special. It doesent shout out.

Me cars shout out at you. That makes them a different daily proposition. Do the younger people who buy 911's want a car that shouts out? The younger genration has different viewpoints No matter how relatively good how many people will convert to a car that shouts out, vettes are not and have never been subtle, thats part of their appeal and part of their limitation.

Will the vette affect other sports car sales, I dont know, possibly for a while, but with an aging demographic if the new vette manages to maintain its historic sales level by bringing in some new buyers thats a win.

I also predict that used C7 and C6's will be almost free, because a lot of existing c7 vette giys are going to want a me vette.

The Me vette looks great, spec reads nice, lets see how it works and the build..

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Me likes it...

MOSS likes this.
  6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Gm has not almost sold out. You can still get on the list for 2nd qtr delivery cars in 2020.

7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Its cool but I read that is not accurate info. I'm sure it will be full soon though. You can build the car but price options aren't up till middle of August.
    You can really get some cool options on this car.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    You can bet that chevy is making little if any profit on the base car.

Translation: all the profit will be made on the over priced options.

MOSS and turbo-joe like this.
  10. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Like the LEDs in the engine compartment. I'm surprised that Lamborghini didn't do it first... Or maybe they did, I don't know lambos.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

11. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Kind of like what Ferrari does...

Jakuzzi and MOSS like this.
  12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    As someone who just sold their second TR.......I was counting down the reveal with this. Im at a stage now where having a good looking, fast, cheap ME car is really appealing. Ive never bought a new car as I always look at residual value. But this is so cheap, with a warranty....tempting.
    One reason the price is so low is because they didnt have to develop a completely new power plant. Tweak here, tweak there, done. This will ding the tip tier Mustang/challenger market for sure. But it wont sway the buyer who has always lusted after a Fcar or 911 etc. It appeals to me because ive had the F/Pcars and stressed every time I have to park it away from my house. This will be a stress free daily driver. Downside is you will see it on every street corner. They are running double shifts at Bowling Green. Another thing to consider is I think a lot of people with slots will bow out once the ZO6 is introduced later in 2020. The aftermarket tuning market is huge with Chevy. And unlike Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo, cheap HP will be plentiful from many sources. 1.5 years from now, when the ZR1 is in the wild, that is when I forsee some devaluations in the Euro exotic markets. Every potential Lambo purchase will go through this thought process; "Hmm, Im about to plunk down, $300k on this Italian car when Cleetus down the street will spank me in his $100k Vette. I hate that guy."

Oh, white with body color matching accents and light grey interior please. Ill wait for an aftermarket supercharger for more cheap HP. Its nice to have options.

xplodee likes this.
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Careful though... chevy WILL have a ME learning curve. If they do not suffer the typical ills like overheating and perhaps snap oversteer, it will be a tremendous ‘out of the box’ accomplishment.

I’ll wait and see before plunking money down on the table.

Is 70 too old for a vette?

Dang.

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    They have not even started building a 2020 vette at Bowling Green yet. Starts in December. There are a lot of local production cars that will smoke Testarossa's already. I have a deposit on a 2020 vette and it will be neat to get a close look at one.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No one has driven one yet. Its a vette, a better vette with the engine in the middle, but still a vette, with all the good and some of the bad that implies. Its a big comfy Gt car, and like all moderns regardless of make will be somewhat isolated and syntesisized, its got eps, paddles and brake by wire.
    A manual Ferrari is just a completly different animal and experience. Besides an engine in the middle theres really nothing the same about them.

For those who keep saying the vette is faster, so what, how many max out their Tr or BB? All oderns or cars from the past 20 years are quicker than most anyone can sanely go on road.

To me you have both the vette and the Ferrari, its horses for courses.

Zeff and MOSS like this.
  16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Right buy them both. I remember when a corvette was the ultimate dream car for me during school. Finally bought
    one at 24 years old and it was as exciting as any Ferrari has been at the time of purchase. Still have several old ones.
    1969 435hp, 67 L88 and 67 with a ZL1 installed and all convertibles. Love it.

17. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agreed. comparing the 2020 Vette to the TR is apples to oranges, two different animals.

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Never mind.

I had high hopes... I really did.

Flat plane crank.... new gearbox... ohhhhh the sound of anticipation!

Then I heard a chevy mumbling through a slushbox while wallowing down the road.

19. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

At the end of the video, he looks and sounds disappointed.

vincenzo and turbo-joe like this.
  20. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    He definitely didn’t seem excited. Was really boring to watch as well

21. Gary Sandberg

I contrast the C8 drive with his drive in a Testarossa.

22. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah he totally digs the testarossa and rightfully so. He wouldn’t be a true car guy if he didn’t. There’s just something about the tr that screams I’m special, I’m unique, and take notice. The old school feel just adds to it even more, when you go for drive and put the car away you crave to drive it again to experience its greatness all over. Everything about the car is perfect to me and that’s a rare experience to find in the car world. I don’t get any of that from the corvette other than hey I’m new and I’m fast so hopefully that makes up for being boring. For some that’s all they need. But after you own it for a while you want more and are trying to figure out what you are going to buy next rather than think this car is a keeper. Oh and the car tells you because of this get ready for massive depreciation over the next few years as well because all of this is true for so many reasons.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  23. Gary Sandberg

I had the TR out for a last run today (okay maybe I'll do one more), but the funny thing was, I drove into town to re-new my insurance. A C6 corvette was approaching me. At a three-way stop, the driver did everything to ignore me - looking straight-ahead, to the right, down, up.....

Later, decided to do a cruise and keeping to the righthand land, was passed by a Ford F250 on the left. Passenger leaned out the window and asked me what year. I told him 1990 and got a thumbs-up.

Just can't beat an icon. :D

turbo-joe, xplodee and Zeff like this.
  24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not sure how anyone can read Matt Farah’s response to the new vette as negative based on the video referenced above. Also, it is NOT a flat plane V8, that’s apparently scheduled for the Z06 to come later.

my interpretation of that video was the vette looks fast as hell for a $65k car. Wow.

but again, who cares? If you can afford a TR then you can probably afford a new vette too, just buy one. If you can *only* afford a new vette, you probably cant afford a TR to go alone with it. And they're totally different cars anyway with nothing in common.

vincenzo likes this.
  25. Gary Sandberg

I agree they are totally different cars. If I bought a new C8 and had my ass handed to me by a '90s or earlier TR, I would be back to that dealership in a heartbeat asked for a full refund.

What I was pointing out was that Matt's response wasn't negative but that I sensed he wanted something more - perhaps along the lines of a more visceral feel. Which is what the Testarossa video showed. There is much hype about the C8, but on the other hand, if driving the car is like being in a video-game, that is not driving.

boxerman, vincenzo and Zeff like this.