SOLVING LOW IDLE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SOLVING LOW IDLE

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok now I set the idle to around 950 and I have any where from 3.5 KG to just under 5KG at the highest. Took it for a ride without the air filter. Runs good but idles low sometimes down to 750-800. Too much under hood hot air?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't call that "good". You must still have some cylinder(s) not running at idle (and there should be no reason that you can't better match the airflows). If you turn each idle screw closed one at a time at warm idle, does each cylinder drop out (RPM reduces and you should "hear" it) and then return to operation when the idle screw is returned to its original position?

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I haven’t touched the mixtures yet. The highest carbs are just under 5 like 4.75.
    All idle air screws are closed

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m going to redo it but with a shim wedged to the cold start arm to raise the idle. It’s tough to do on the throttle cable

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    There is still slop in the front carbs. Maybe one of the balls are worn to the rea

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Also there is some slop in the pivot plate on the manifold crossover pipe that hold it

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's a cool morning here in TX summer ;)

Saabguy and absostone like this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I lost four pounds today;):). I redid this 5 times today and its not cooperating. I appreciate you guiding me through. and appreciate your help to Fchat

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Aaannndddd.... we are back to an A/C thread. ;-)

thorn likes this.
  12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Back in the day it meant to adjust in or out mixture screw to get max idle speed, then use idle speed screw to lower idle, then turn mixture in or out to get max idle, rinse and repeat. You will get to a point where turning in the screw (leaning the mixture ) will get max idle and ANY adjustment of the mixture will slow the idle.

But that was back in the day.

Lester

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    lol. Please no!

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #39 absostone, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Well I’m convinced the linkage has been assembled too tight and too loose. off the throttle stops at 1500 rpms being pulled by the cable only I can adjust the idle by pushing or pulling on the carbs. Mikey no likey

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Interesting. But I think I’ll stick with the 3 turns out to start. after I figure out this sticky linkage.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok I reset the balls. It’s better now. Best I have now is 4.5 to 5 kg. Is it possible the lowest front to rear adjuster is installed in such a way as to limit my synchronization?

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I... I just can't let this get away. What balls did you reset??

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not the private ones. The linkage attachment pivot balls. I’ve set the throttle at 1500r with the cable 6 times already and got all carbs at 6.5-7kg at that 1500rpm. When I set to 1k rpm. The kgs are still 4.5 to 5kg

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Good that the airflows are more even at those two throttle positions, but meaningless without setting the idle mixtures to reasonable positions, too. If your Synchrometer is reasonably accurate, the idle RPM would be much higher at those airflow rates and your advanced ignition setting. Based on the airflow being previously wacky, I wouldn't trust the old mixture settings as being sacred. You can adjust just one at a time, and, by counting turns to fully closed, you can always return it to the original position.

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thank you MR. Magnusson yes I was going to ask about mixture next. So the mixture will also change the kg? so if its too lean it would read high? I already started counting the existing turns.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not directly, but it will change the idle RPM if you bring a cylinder from not contributing (from either being too rich or too lean) to contributing (or vice-a-versa); however, all airflows should change together equally whether the idle RPM goes up or down.

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok I know I know 3.5 kg yes I know.
    Right now they are all 5 kg at idle. Drive it twice tonight. It idles really well. If I have time tomorrow I’ll set the mixture 3 turns out and open till it just loses rpm and turn back in 1/4-1:2 turn. But
    I think the best thing I should do is restart the front bank timing to 7 deg from 9 and do it all over again. But there is still 1/16 th slop in the carbs. Thing is the carbs had a lower over all kg In One of my earlier posts except for one that was just under 5 but it runs good

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I just got around to counting the existing setting of all the mixture screws. So I got her warmed up. And for fun started turning a screw richer. I went two turns out in a few barrels and the idle did not change at all.
    So now what???

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Bigger idle jets?

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Two turns from where? If you move an idle screw from 0 turns (closed) to ~6 turns out and nothing ever changes that would be very odd and indicative of bigger problems.