430 Scuds that don’t sell for years | Page 8 | FerrariChat

430 Scuds that don’t sell for years

Discussion in '360/430' started by OneFastM3, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And then there’s the wife who says at the end of a 250 mile trip.

Up the Grapevine all thru Pasadena, up and over Angeles Crest, stop in Rosamond and cruise by Willow Springs and then the back way up and over Tehachapi...

“Why don’t you sell this tin can!!!!!”

2. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Oh man, that’s close to me... sounds like a nice drive. My wife and I did a 500 mile drive about 2 weeks ago in our F430, and she was cool. But I can see how the scud would be a bit irritating for long tours and drives....... but I still want one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have little doubt that many cars during the time period of the scud were built without end buyers of course Ferrari had the dealer as buyers but feel certain that dealers had unsold allocations ... for that matter in my Ferrari account I have had many cars that I never purchased or ordered..... The market for these cars is incredibly thin for all of these cars . and a single sale does not set the market .. a few years ago there were a couple of guys buying many 599 GTO s and the price sky rocketed AND I told my salesman as soon as these to guys get their fill of 599 GTOs the price would drop back to where it should be .. so a couple of buyers can tremendously effect the asking prices but once they quit buying the cars sit and sit until someone takes a realistic price the same thing happened to each of the late model limited type of offering..as far as the future the prices on the CS , SCUD and 16M will stay pretty much flat for some time to come.. they maybe great cars but just not many buyers ... now if a couple of guys want to each buy 6 Scuds watch the market go through the roof...

efg2014, redcaruser and f355spider like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Guarantee you that phrase has never been uttered within a McLaren dealership....

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    "How to lose your shirt in 60 seconds."

E60 M5 and Manda racing like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    720's held for quite a long time post launch. Same for 675LT coupe and spider. P1's went up huge.
    Ferrari has ups and downs also.

Manda racing likes this.
  7. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    because i am currently in the market and have been offered 2-3 cars yet to surface onto the retail market in the past few months, pretty low mileage examples for way below market asking. Waiting for the right color and the owners of these 3 wholesalers told me they get it several times in a year and sometimes they sit pretty long. I am not into total production numbers, I like the car for what it is, and it appears they are not hard to come by, maybe they are more concentrated in the LA area? who knows

Shark01, Manda racing and LARRYH like this.
  8. Rosso Corsa Strada

Nov 11, 2018
    Who bought the pozzi blue from ilusso recently?

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Everyone has their own agenda...

I haven't seen a "low mileage" example in resale red go for under $200k in the San Francisco, Bay Area. This is actual sale price not advertised price. Said cars were sold at Ferrari dealerships not wholesalers.

flash32 likes this.
  10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually Ferrari is pretty open about production numbers for the limited editions that are less than say 1,000 cars....examples: 599 GTO, 599 Aperta, 458 Aperta, F12 TDF, and many others.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting about the 599 GTO...seems price went up to $750k and has dropped to the $5xx k currently.
    Wonder how many GTO’s they bought to effect the market?

Sent from my 16M

12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #187 redcaruser, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    I own a McLaren and I said that regarding the 720S to my McLaren dealer. And believe me, McLaren is aware of that. What do you think why McLaren released with the GT a model outside of their strategy plan so quickly? The 720S is not really as successful as planned. Too much bling-bling, too extreme in certain things, too ugly (too fashionable) in its overall appearance, poor quality. One wonders what this car should actually be. Most 720S find their way into the second hand market after a year. A car without sustainability. McLaren is under pressure. In these small market segments it needs more than just superior performance. Drive extensively a 720S and you will ask yourself really what that should be now. This question does not arise while driving a Scuderia. But I think I'm now outside of the thread topic...

chris0315, Themaven and ca_scud like this.
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I believe it was around 6 or 8 each so about a dozen which was about 10% of US production

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well isn't releasing a hastily Engineered model to replace a failing one McLaren's normal. MO? That is how we got the 720 in the first place, to replace a not well accepted 650.

In the first 6 years of their existance, they had 3 super series cars.....that is just insane since they don't seem to want to fix what is wrong on the previous one.

They really need to provide a standard 6-7 year warranty to build confidence in the product. That would also help with price stability.....and stick with a model long enough to understand it. We can bag on Porsche for stuff, but they know how to Engineer a 911 since they know it so well.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Any factual data, analysts notes, company statements to support the assertion the 720 was unsuccessful?

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.....really? Ford still says the Edsel was a success

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes. Like to see the claims backed up.
    No dog in this fight, just curious as our car group is of a different opinion.

18. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Open your eyes and talk to a few insiders.
    In Switzerland we have 9 650S, 12 675LT and 29 (!!) 720S in the market, thereof 5 new cars (47 from the Sport Series plus 5 600LT's). The cheapest 720S arrised the price level of a 650S. The 650S still had the goal to secure the market entry. A large German McLaren dealer has recently said the 650S has saved McLaren, mission accomplished, the 650S has delivered. With the current Sport Series and the new Super Series the mission has changed, money must now be earned. That means higher number in sales, less production costs. The dealers are suffering, continuing enormous sales pressure, high number of leasing returns, many product defects that have to be handled, not a pleasant situation.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And I could ask the same.....but I won't because I have read and seen the negative things....and the rock hard depreciation speaks for itself.

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You both are so convinced and dismissive, I dont understand why. I'm simply asking for anything to back up the opinion. Not a fan or hater, just like to have more proof primarily for the US market.

Which "insiders"?

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    OK, my last post on this so we can get back to Scuderias....on car gurus, there are FOUR 2018 72oS with asking prices below $260k.....high mile dogs probably? No, the miles range from 1k to 8k. OK, then they must be at these low life scary indy lots. No, all FOUR are at McLaren dealers....think about that, authorized dealers are selling the cheapest 720s in the country. What does that tell you?

That's 90k off sticker in ONE MODEL YEAR (26%)........C'Mon Dusty, if that doesn't bother you, your friendly neighborhood McLaren wants your business.

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Watch the 600LT and 675LT prices collapse in a blink...not yet fact, but it's going to happen.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And 488 spiders selling for 20+% off also. Neither immune, so no need to have blinders on for one brand.
    My Lambo lim ed is down big too!

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Walked into a dealership 2 days ago with a buddy looking for a Scud.

"We don't have any Scuds for sale, but we have a 675LT... asking $240k"

I don't follow Mclaren cars or prices, but wasn't this car over $400k not too long ago? Big drop for what seems to be a special edition car.

Special edition Ferraris seem to hold their values much better than standard editions.

daytona355 likes this.