456M screech on start up | FerrariChat

456M screech on start up

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by KeithS, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    My car is 1999 456M, 6 speed, 73,000 miles, major service 2/2017, tension bearings and motor mounts upgraded to 575 models. I am in Phoenix, AZ.

At cold start the car has developed a very loud screech on that usually last for only a few seconds. Lately the screech has lasted longer, maybe 30 seconds, and becomes louder with increase in rpm. On restart there is no screech. It sounds to me like a bearing going dry. Accessory belts have been adjusted and the screech occurs with the AC off.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Keith

2. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    Have you tried using a mechanics stethoscope to listen as it is started?

3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    My 550 developed a screech on startup. Initially it was only once in a while, but got worse. It was my clutch release bearing.

Joey4420 likes this.
  4. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    My car is 1999 456M, 6 speed, 73,000 miles, major service 2/2017, tension bearings and motor mounts upgraded to 575 models. I am in Phoenix, AZ.

At cold start the car has developed a very loud screech on that usually last for only a few seconds. Lately the screech has lasted longer, maybe 30 seconds, and becomes louder with increase in rpm. On restart there is no screech. It sounds to me like a bearing going dry. Accessory belts have been adjusted and the screech occurs with the AC off.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Keith

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Alternator / water pump maybe?

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Alternator / Water Pump maybe ??

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Get a piece of hose and try to locate the source at start-up. Unless the temperature is below 59 F, there is a good chance the AC compressor is on regardless of the setting. At least it is in a 575M.

8. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Does it seem that the noise is emanating from the front of the engine? I’d remove the belts from all of the ancillaries and fire it up just briefly and see if the noise goes away. That’ll narrow it down quite a bit at least. Obviously don’t run it for more than 10-15 seconds since you won’t have water circulation. But before firing it up, spin all pulleys and see if you hear and/or feel anything abnormal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat