Is the Handling Speciale option on the California T a good idea? | FerrariChat

Is the Handling Speciale option on the California T a good idea?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rbtrader, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    I have been looking around for a California T with the Handling Speciale package. From what I have read, it is a little more aggressive, and I like the look of the rear of the car. I am picky about color (no blacks, white or red) and I hate to pay up for an extremely low mileage car because I will drive mine.

They are pretty scarce with my preferences, but I have found a number of really nice cars without the HS option. I am beginning to think maybe I do not need HS on my T. I wonder if the HS package rides a little too harsh, I still have not found one to drive.

Any thoughts on the pros or cons of the Handling Speciale package on the California T? Would you hold out for the HS option?

Thanks, Rich

2. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Hi Rich,

I have a HS T. I drove both with and without. I liked the HS package both how it handled and the esthetic difference. I don’t feel like it’s harsh at all. Many on here will probably tell you it doesn’t matter. But, after driving both I preferred it.

I would recommend you to drive both as well and see how it works for you.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My T does not have it, and I have no use for it. Why does the guy who has owned almost 500 cars (and modified or taken apart almost all of them), not have the HS package on his T. The reason is that I don't need it, and OP maybe you don't either. I am unaffected by hype, marketing, or any (idiot car reviewer that knows nothing about cars), opinion that is not based on the purpose I have for a car. For my purpose, I drove the cars with and without back to back, there was absolutely no difference. But I have no sweeping canyons in my back yard or for that matter many roads I can go faster than 65MPH unless I go out driving at (which I often do) the break of dawn. I have other cars that are truly sports cars, so the T is a cruiser for me, and if I push it there is nothing I cant do with the car without the HS package that I could do with the one with it. I may be more skilled at the wheel (I have been driving insanely powerful cars without traction controls for decades), or have less fear than others to push my cars, but I could not see the purpose for the HS other than Ferrari making more money in options. I am also unable to suspend reality and given how easily (there would be no such thing as advertising if everyone was like me) most people can, what you think something is, is what it becomes. Either way I think the T is a great car, good luck.

daytona355 and Chizz like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think the two posts have given you the best advice. I'd only add - you really need to find one & give it a vigorous test drive to say whether it's worth it. And, what do you envision your typical usage being? Daily driver, date night cruiser with that special someone with an occasional back roads romp? If so, I wouldn't necessarily think you'd be to pay extra for a HS.
    T

Chizz likes this.
  5. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I liked the HS when I drove it. Given they aren't as easy to find, and something many favor, if all else equal the HS over non will hold more value at least to me. However, if you find a car with everything else checking the box but no HS, buy it and have fun.

Chizz likes this.
  6. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    They handles better, have a better/tighter turning radius, and hold value better than a non-HS. Drive both and buy the one you like the most. I could feel more body roll in the non-HS and the higher resale value was nice so I went for it.

*Mine is a Cali30 so double check your "T" HS differences.

Chizz likes this.
  7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    It is a good idea. I'd not get one without it. I think the difference is pretty significant.

Chizz and Fireman1291 like this.
  8. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I have an idea for you. I have a 2016 T and was curious about the HS T's. I drove a T with HS and found it to be harsh shifting at low speeds and not a lot of improvement in terms of handling. I then bought the Ferrari HS exhaust system only which does not include any suspensions mods. I did this to improve the sound of the car and it delivered big time. It sounds great. Installed by my dealer was about $4,700. You could put that on a T and be very happy I think.
    Good luck with your efforts!

daytona355 and tomc like this.
  9. odellicour

odellicour Karting

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Or just buy the Capristo remote valve control system and you will make plenty of noise when you want to! It is fun but hopefully you can turn it off because on long distance this valve open noise is pretty exhausting.