How to Polish my my Factory Ferrari PPF ...? | FerrariChat

How to Polish my my Factory Ferrari PPF ...?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Actualizer, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Hi everyone
    I just bought a 2 yr old 488Spider with Factory optioned ppf. Ferrari offers only the front ppf. The rest of the car has ppf too not sure which one probably a high end one xpel or Suntek.
    Ferrari ppf care instructions doesn’t mention any specifics ....just instructs that polish the ppf 3-6 months like a regular polish. This doesn’t sound right.
    There are no swirls. I just want a showroom glitter back as it’s a Metallic Rosso and Metallic Nero roof but the shine is lacking.
    Can anyone please explain how to go ahead ? What’s the do’s and dont’s of polishing this ppf?
    Thanks

MobileJay likes this.
  2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Polishing may mean different things to different people. A lot of products say “wax/polish all in one” Technically a polish is a mild abrasive product meant to remove fine imperfections and/or refine the paint after heavy polishing/compounding and no protection left behind...either way a true polish is meant to be used by machine. You can polish ppf to an extent but using it by hand will yield you a very tired upper body and not much difference in paint. You want to keep the ppf cool to touch and not go too aggressive because you can warp the film or worse. If the ppf is lacking shine it could be the previous owner did not take care of it well and would need to be redone. I have polished to remove fine water spots and light haze but there’s only so much you can do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actualizer likes this.
  3. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks !
    Any particular Polish you might recommend for me to try ?
    Thanks

MobileJay likes this.
  4. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Sure. Over the counter you may be able to find Meguiars M205 at O’Reilys. That’s a good mild polish that would be perfect for ppf with a finishing or mild polishing pad on an orbital.

Actualizer likes this.
  5. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    Since the film was installed at factory, paint inspection or correction was not done. Every car color I had (Nero Daytona, blu corsa, Rosso Corsa Metallizato and Blu Pozzi) required some paint correction. Not knowing it was from the factory or the white protective film they use during shipping. The ppf film over uncorrected paint may creates dull appearance finish. I never polished the expel film but rather I use spray wax during the drying process and the shine is great and lasting.

6. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    This is the thought of a lot of people including myself until we did a test spot. Yes most...who am I kidding, all Italian cars need some sort of paint polishing or correction when they arrive. However we did a test and applied a 2’x2’ piece of ppf (Suntek) over a completely hammered black paint job of a Mercedes. Swirls, scratches, pig tails, sanding marks you name it. The finish looked more grey than black. Where we applied the ppf it looked like a brand new paint job. The film will hide a good amount of imperfections and make the paint look perfect. I think the case here is the previous owner did not take car of the ppf by keeping it washed correctly or waxing it.

Actualizer likes this.
  7. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

You might be on the ball there. I was stunned to see how deep and different my rosso Metallic looks as opposed to the most common non metallic rosso .
    It’s a deeper darker almost more pigmented red . Additionally I have never seen a Ferrari factory optioned PPf, so I have no comparison. Yet this one is very thick as compared to my Xpel on the FF.
    So bottom line, I have a more beautiful deeper Rosso missing the Metallic sparkle and shine. It looks like the previous owner has not maintained it for 2 years.
    There are no swirl marks. I might try the Meguirs that is recommended above. If no shine, than I fear I’ll have to consider taking off this ppf. But I’d hate to do it as it’s such a unique and rare expensive option.

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    XPel makes a polish/sealant that I have used on my ppf. It does a nice job but my ppf was new so I don't know how effective it would be on the dull material. Not expensive so may be worth checking out, it is on their web site for purchase. Good luck in bringing it back.

Actualizer likes this.
  9. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    An option can be to change the clear bra; paint correct, wrap the areas you want and Ceramic Pro...should bring it back beautifully

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Shame to have to do that with just 2 year old film. Expensive too. If it were older your option would be likely but so little age its worth a shot at cleaning up first.

I don't think the fact that the OP's film is factory adds any value and in fact the opposite due to lack of paint correction.

BOKE likes this.