The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I'm planning to order the Z51 pgk. No extra ponies along, but better handling, tires, sporty exh, LSD, and some other gewgaws to make it funnerer. I do like the 360, and got to drive a couple, but the repairs, and upkeep just aren't as much fun as they used to be in my 20s-50s.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Well I wouldn't kick the corvette out of bed.

My dad had a 63 roadster so they’ve always been at the back of my mind. He sold it when I was born. I drove my first vette - an 86 when new and thought it was a fast and pretty good looking car although the dream car was still a ferrari 308/328.

Two years ago I visited the corvette factory and museum. Quite a different experience from visiting the factory in Maranello. Bowling Green was not really a very impressive operation with guys and gals on the assembly line in cutoffs and all sorts of non-uniforms. They were using they’re elbows to slap doors for fine tune adjustments... it really just seemed like a bare bones experience way down on the food chain. The engine building room for the z06 / zr1 was the only bright spot I saw there.

So I already own my favorite Ferrari F355 and several others. I enjoy the brand, ownership experience, driving, and other intangibles immensely.

But I always kept an eye on the new mid engine vette the last 4-5 years hoping that it would hit on all cylinders. It is definitely a great bang for the buck and should be a huge sales success. I like many things about it. And the designers have seemed to solve many of the past car’s deficiencies.

But its not a Ferrari, or even a competitor in my book especially in the proportions department. It wont replace one of my Ferraris.

So what did I do with my money last week?

I bought a Ferrari 360 stick in very rare spec. I could not be happier with adding it to the garage. It is fast enough for me, but more importantly, it will always be very, very special.

Robb

KC360 FL, Dicecal, INTMD8 and 3 others like this.
  3. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Was that in Newport Beach by chance? Must admit it caught my eye but disappeared quickly, as expected.

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Don't be sorry, it seems like a great decision. I'm a 360 owner, previously a Mondial owner (with an F355 between) and British and I think this latest incarnation of the Corvette is my favourite.

It seems it's mixed on whether it will affect purchases of 360's and F430's. I think if you live in the US and are like me an out and out Ferrari nut you won't buy in place of a F430/360 but you still might buy one. I think anybody looking for a Ferrari has to seriously consider one.

I don't think many will be sold without options but who knows for sure. I think it will be an £80k car here in the UK though which means I would have to add money to my 360 if I was to sell. I don't want an F430 but can't stretch to a 458. Never say never. A plus point here is that there won't be too many on the road. I do see new Mustangs but probably once or twice a week at most and one of them is on my way to work.

5. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Doc—. Werd

7. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I just got a text back from my tenant/car dealer. They have deposits, or orders for all 32 allotments for first quarter.

One torque, user
    kes7u is trying to reach you for 'off topic'.

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Complete BS as discussed in other threads.

Shark01 likes this.
  9. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Well, I guess that is that. I'm SURE the Ferrari crowd knows more about the C8 sales targets than anyone from inside a Chev dealer. Yeah, there's gonna be some folks back out, and yeah, no doubt some hype in there. But - my tenant says they are getting a lot of inquiries from people they have no history with any GM product. Folks just - like - me.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let me explain why this is BS.

First, not all dealers have gotten their allocations yet. Chevy is waiting for dealer requests. Some dealers are still gauging the real market and wary of multiple requests that will eventually cancel (aka: Speculators)

Second, a lot of dealers are reserving 2020 cars FOR THEMSELVES to sell directly off their lots. How many? Hard to tell but I guess quite a few. Why? So they can sell them on the spot at a large mark up. So you will be able to get a 2020 right off a dealer lot in probably December or January -- and probably some of the larger Vette dealers in the South --FL, TX, CA along with the big dealers in the East and Upper North East.

Third its a bit of a marketing stunt to get people on the fence to commit. Those who like the car but are wary of buying a new model in the first year. Those who want to drive it first before deciding to buy and those who have never even seen one.

Shark01, BJK and INTMD8 like this.
  11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The C8 is cool and I have an early allocation at MSRP. It won't effect Ferrari prices. It is not an exotic and will be a dime a dozen. For me, it would be a flipper.

Dicecal likes this.
  12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Cosmetics are high on my list. At first I thought that the C8 may be a winner design-wise.
    I just received the latest issue of Automobile Magazine that has the new C8 on the cover. After looking over the photos at all angles it seems that for me, once again, this iteration suffers from the too many vents, lines and creases, and an excess of superfluous additions to the body that previous Corvette designs have.

Hard to put it into words but it seems this C8 is designed as all other Corvettes before it to appeal to the American tastes of what a hot rod / muscle car should be. Whereas the 360 or 430 has a more understated European look to it. And for me this is why I believe that there will not be a multitude of Ferrari 360, 430, buyers migrating to the new C8.

Apollo 11 and kes7u like this.
  13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    The ironic thing is how much the look of the 360 stands out next to a Vette even though the former is "understated" and the latter and has thousands of aggressive lines and creases and angles. Turns out, less is more.

KC360 FL, TomAZ, one4torque and 3 others like this.
  14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Not sure what you're trying to say by that since 360 was designed in the 90s and the 430 a few years after. If you look at a C6 and C7, respectively, you'll see the design language is similar to the 2 Ferraris you mentioned. Nowadays, aero is the big determining factor which is why most performance cars look the same.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Friend of my had a C5 Corvette all kitted up, and any time we talked cars, he would always say, "my Corvette" can do that, as fast, etc. So one day I pick him up for lunch in my Mclaren, find a quiet stretch of road, then demonstrate Launch control, DTC, 60 to 125, etc., he looks over at me in total disbelief and says, my Vette cannot do that :(

That said, the new C8 has very much caught my attention and one I will strongly consider, probably Z06 version when they are available.

MB

one4torque and vrsurgeon like this.
  16. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    There will always be Corvette owners, i.e. some jerks, but that can be said about the M3/4 crowd, Lambo's as well, no brand is pure. Chevy did not build this car to just keep the Corvette buyer, they did it expand the customer base. The fact we are talking about it (some buying) on FChat says mission accomplished. That can't be said about Caddy and Harley-Davidson through multiple efforts to revitalize the brand and expand the base.

MB

BJK, JimEakin, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I still find the lines of the 488 to be way more flowing and coherent than the new C8. Could certainly be that I just prefer the look of Ferraris, though.

Kevin

Apollo 11, KC360 FL and one4torque like this.
  18. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Generally speaking a Ferrari will always look better than most cars. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the 488, too much stuff going on. The 458 was pretty much perfect.

Apollo 11, Graz, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Lotta stuff going on with the C8. Scoops, ducts, flairs, flares, vents, etc.

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree first c8 iteration a bit busy—. But this is yr 1 base model. I can’t wait to see the design evolution of this new platform!

Hopefully they get a muria and Dino lover as head of c8 styling soon!!!

kes7u likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    As they say the devil is in the details.
    And I disagree. The C6 and C7 were front engine designs. That alone dictates a completely different look than the 360 and 430 at the time. To me the design language could not be farther apart.

And I don't believe to my eyes that "most performance cars look the same". The current Automobile Magazine I spoke of also has a spread on the new Ferrari SF 90 Stradale. It certainly looks quite different than the C8. I see it as a designer and while aerodynamics are important, they can be resolved in various ways that can be more appealing than others.
    Clean design never goes out of style. Subtle lines that lead the eye panel to panel, no unnecessary bright work, etc. are all things I love about the designs from Ferrari. These things are also why I don't much care for the Lambos-- too much of the aforementioned. Too busy unnecessarily. Too much of the "making a statement" car. Ferrari while beautiful, always seemed to let the car speak for itself.

But once again, just one mans opinion...

22. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The point I'm trying to make is the design language of the periods you talked about (360, 430 and C8) are different. The engine layouts don't have as much to do with that. A C7 and C8 have many design elements in common even though the engine is in different places.

23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Not a car I think we are familiar with in the UK.

I wouldn’t see it having any real effect on the 360/430 market, aimed at a different buyer with their own priorities.

24. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Exactly my point ! I can't believe this thread has gone on for 8 pages now . I can't believe there is this much discussion over 2 cars that have nothing to do with each other . They don't look alike , act alike or sound alike .

After some of the reactions I have had on this forum about my modifications.....I would like to add "some Ferrari owners" to that statement ;)

25. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It will be rarer than F430's and 360's in the UK I suspect.